Re: self-help manual
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 9:45 am
Quackery is in the eye of the beholder.
Anyway, you’re obviously far cleverer than I am, so I’m out.
Anyway, you’re obviously far cleverer than I am, so I’m out.
I cannot become an expert in every subject, and I cannot evaluate your claims without expert knowledge. If I also cannot trust anyone else to be an expert, how am I supposed to evaluate your claims?
Believe it or not, a lot of people see problems with it. The Wikipedia article on ODD has an entire section for criticism of the validity of the diagnosis, and another entire section on how ODD cannot be effectively treated by medication alone. But extending these disputes to the entire practice of psychiatry is a logical fallacy. (And if the reason you're so upset about children being diagnosed with ODD and given medication is your own personal experience, that too is a logical fallacy.)
An excellent question.Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 11:57 amI cannot become an expert in every subject, and I cannot evaluate your claims without expert knowledge. If I also cannot trust anyone else to be an expert, how am I supposed to evaluate your claims?
It takes years of study to become an OS developer no matter how skilled you are at logical reasoning. The same is true of every subject, and I simply do not have enough free time for that.kerravon wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 6:05 pmBut the heart of the problem is your own self-doubt. You think you don't have the required skills to evaluate claims - when you do. You simply use the same skills you have as an osdever - you use logic, look at the evidence, and look for internal consistency.
You mean the qualified experts used as references for the Wikipedia article successfully pushed back. All I did was summarize a Wikipedia article.
Alica Okano was 18 years old when she fleshed out fat.c in the PDOS source code. I had been sitting on it for years, with only FAT-16 working for write. As far as I know she hadn't spent "years" studying to become an OS developer. I had been doing it for years though. But it was me who just stepped back and watched in awe. I didn't ask her for her credentials. I just said "thanks".Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 7:39 pmIt takes years of study to become an OS developer no matter how skilled you are at logical reasoning. The same is true of every subject, and I simply do not have enough free time for that.kerravon wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 6:05 pmBut the heart of the problem is your own self-doubt. You think you don't have the required skills to evaluate claims - when you do. You simply use the same skills you have as an osdever - you use logic, look at the evidence, and look for internal consistency.
Why do you assume she didn't? I had already spent years studying to become an OS developer when I was 18 years old. Or does self-study not count as studying?
I still have no reason to trust your claims. Can you find any experts who agree with you? Can you find any who disagree?
How are they "responsible" for that? Are you asking which discipline has the foundations to be able to do so in a logically sound manner?
Maybe so, but technical skills are not the same as expertise.
Insulting people is a great way to convince them that you have nothing worthwhile to say. (Remember what I said earlier about interpersonal communication and compromise?)
It's not a secret. It is part of evolutionary biology and anthropology.Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 10:11 pmI still have no reason to trust your claims. Can you find any experts who agree with you? Can you find any who disagree?
No. You are looking for philosophers. Philosophers are specifically trained in critical thinking and proper reasoning, and they are working on exact questions you are trying to dissect. Whole purpose of morality is to find how things ought to be, and that includes how we should act about our inherited - as you call them "chimpanzees" - instincts. I personally like philosophy very much, which is also reason why I take some look at your documents. But taking it all together, because "The corpus derives from first principles.", I do not see reason to continue further, as even the very starting points are not something to be accepted even within the system itself.It is my opinion that osdevers have the extreme technical skills required to take on a project like this. ... But who on earth do you think is in charge of DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THAT? ie ENGINEERING AN OVERRIDE. The answer is - no-one. Just a whole bunch of bystanders who assume that someone super-smart is "on the job". And the solution is in the question. We need ENGINEERS. For a field that doesn't exist. Software engineers are the most obvious match, with our brains basically being software.
Thanks for your comments. Note that I am not a philosophy expert. I ran them through my AI and it had answers to all of them except it conceded 6A as a minor point.VSlezak wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:26 am It seems to me that you are trying to build some kind of philosophical system centered around anthropology, morality and politics. However, any system is only as good as its epistemology. And to be honest, I find epistemology of this "corpus" to be weak and self-contradictory.
You constantly emphasize rationality, that everything has to be logically sound, or it falls. You even have "AXIOM 3: RATIONALITY TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER ALL OTHER VALUES." But, then you present the very definition of axioms as: "AXIOMS. Chosen starting points. Not derived. Not proven. Selected. The reader can reject them. If the reader rejects them, the derivation does not apply." But even though axioms are not something to be proven, they still need to be justified (usually this is done by direct personal observation).
Politicians.
If you can prove that brains are basically software, you'll revolutionize several fields of study and probably win a Nobel prize. As you have done neither of those things, I can only assume (as I am still not qualified to verify) that your arguments are all predicated on nonsense.
Don't. This is not an appropriate place for that kind of discussion.