The Redux Kernel - my little OS

This forums is for OS project announcements including project openings, new releases, update notices, test requests, and job openings (both paying and volunteer).
Post Reply
devm15
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:02 am

The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Post by devm15 »

Hello there everyone! :D
I'm devm15, and I decided to torture myself by making an OS! Hooray!
Today I decided to release it publicly EARLIER than planned because my RING 3 SPACE INVADERS CLONE KEEPS DYING TO AN INVALID OPCODE and I have officially decided this is now everyone else's problem too.
sry intrusive thoughts
AND I want you to poke it with a stick!
anyways BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
User avatar
iansjack
Member
Member
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 am
Location: Chichester, UK

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Post by iansjack »

It's a little difficult for anyone to poke your OS with a stick when you provide no link to it. Do you have a repository of the source that we can see?

But, no - bugs are your problem exclusively, no-one else's.
devm15
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:02 am

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Post by devm15 »

yea i have a link, i forgot to include it - whoopsies
Also i was joking about it being everyone's problem, but seriously I don't know what's going on
Also here you go:
https://github.com/devm15x/Redux
Octocontrabass
Member
Member
Posts: 6270
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Post by Octocontrabass »

devm15 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:21 amAlso i was joking about it being everyone's problem, but seriously I don't know what's going on
Well, what debugging have you done so far? You already know it's an invalid opcode. What is the address of the invalid opcode? Which opcode is it?
devm15
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:02 am

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Post by devm15 »

It's a #UD
devm15
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:02 am

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Post by devm15 »

Oh wait, you meant the RIP
Problem is, Redux doesn't have a really good program crash reporter :?
Well, it gives you the vector, but, thats pretty much it
I'll implement it and give you a response
User avatar
iansjack
Member
Member
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 am
Location: Chichester, UK

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Post by iansjack »

Aren't you using a VM to test and debug the software? A very good idea to do that initially before moving to real hardware. That way you could use gdb to pinpoint the exact location of the error and view the state of the machine at that point.
Post Reply