When your OS goes crazy - Screenshots

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
finarfin

When your OS goes crazy - Screenshots

Post by finarfin »

We have a post called "What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)"

and i thought: "Why don't do a post with screenshots of our OS when it goes crazy?"

When we are coding, and our new pieces of code make our OS to strange things, print unprintable and etc.

I begin with my screenshot (i collect them :D):
That happens when i was trying in old version of my OS the task switching (I had the feeling that the OS was laughing at me?, wath do you think? :D)

That happens when i insert a very very long command (over 260 characters).

If you have screenshot of your Os when it goes crazy i think it would be nice to post them here.

bye ^_^
Last edited by finarfin on Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo
- DreamOS64 - My latest attempt with osdev: https://github.com/dreamos82/Dreamos64
- Osdev Notes - My notes about osdeving! https://github.com/dreamos82/Osdev-Notes
- My old Os Project: https://github.com/dreamos82/DreamOs
LordMage

Re: When your OS goes crazy - Screenshots

Post by LordMage »

Wish I had know this was going to be posted, I had mine spew a few hours ago, I fixed the problem though and didn't think to get a screenie.
Getting back in the game.
Troy Martin

Post by Troy Martin »

This happened when I tried to do 8x8 font in 640x480 VGA mode :)
Attachments
oh noes.png
oh noes.png (8.91 KiB) Viewed 175233 times
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
I wish I could add more tex
Love4Boobies

Post by Love4Boobies »

Gee, Troy... I remember getting similar results back in the days of Borland Pascal's graphics unit. Borland compilers came with video drivers for a few popular video cards (except generic ones like VGA). I never knew what the hell caused those red pixels to appear. I thought it had something to do with their implementation; WHY RED? What exactly did you do?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.", Popular Mechanics (1949)
[ Project UDI ]
neon

Post by neon »

I forget what I was doing but I remember one time when I was clearing a region of memory. I watched the system (It was printing some info out). Nothing much new. Then out of nowhere a few seconds later the entire display turned black.

Turns out I was overwriting a buffer somewhere infinitely with the value 0...That could have turned nasty when it reached the end of memory...or even before reaching the end of memory...
OS Development Series | Wiki | os | ncc
char c[2]={"\x90\xC3"};int main(){void(*f)()=(void(__cdecl*)(void))(void*)&c;f();}
Troy Martin

Post by Troy Martin »

Love4Boobies wrote:What exactly did you do?

Code: Select all

mov ax,0012h    ; Set up 640x480 graphics mode
xor bx,bx
int 10h

mov ax,1112h    ; Use 8x8 font
xor bx,bx
int 10h
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
I wish I could add more tex
froggey

Post by froggey »

This happened after I messed up a memcpy and dumped my kernel's debug info to VGA memory. :)
Attachments
duuude.png

Post by 01000101 »

ooo pretty. =)

I don't have any shots yet, when I do I'll post.
xyzzy
Libera.chat IRC: aejsmith

Post by xyzzy »

I just went through my screenshots directory and picked up all the screw-ups I could find:

Really old version of my kernel - don't quite remember what happened but it looks like the panic function is causing an exception, causing a recursive panic. Fun! :D

Quite recently when I was writing my terminal driver - bad memcpy in the scrolling code! I think it had ended up copying part of the kernel onto the VGA memory

When my PNG display application went wrong =)

Font setting fail! :)
Combuster
Libera.chat IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Post by Combuster »

Font setting fail!
Consider it a novel method of setting leetspeak font :)
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
Firestryke31

Post by Firestryke31 »

Heh, if you still have the code that did that, you could just for laughs implement some sort of 'mirrored mode.' Plus, if you did that, you'd have most of the code for a RTL language!
Owner of Fawkes Software.
Wierd Al wrote: You think your Commodore 64 is really neato,
What kind of chip you got in there, a Dorito?
jal

Post by jal »

Love4Boobies wrote:WHY RED?
The character font resides at plane 2 (EGA, VGA) and 3 (VGA) in text mode (plane 0 = character, plane 1 = attribute). When setting the (text mode) font, the BIOS writes to plane 2. It just so happens that writing to plane 2 encodes for attribute 0100b, which is dark red. I doubt it having anything to do with your BGI problems of yore :).

JAL
Craze Frog

Post by Craze Frog »

When I tried to resume Windows:
The smilies were blinking on and off.

DeletedAccount

Post by DeletedAccount »

Thats possibly a hardware issue . Most the time windows crashes due to poorly written third party drivers , Microsoft cannot take the blame for that .

Regards
Shrek
Craze Frog

Post by Craze Frog »

Shrek wrote:Most the time windows crashes due to poorly written third party drivers , Microsoft cannot take the blame for that.
As if they didn't chose to let the drivers run with maximum privileges...

I've already had three Microsoft HQL certified drivers (one written by Microsoft) on this computer which shouldn't have passed the certification because they blatantly violates the specifications by huge amounts (up to 130 times as long block as maximium allowed). If MS can't take the blame for certifying drivers that don't comply with their own specifications, who can?