What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
mariuszp

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by mariuszp »

I stopped working on Asmadian (my old, crap OS), and now I'm making System Photon (as I mentioned above), and i'm sort-of close to finishing the kernel, look at this amazing screenshot:
Comment please! :D
Coty

Post by Coty »

mariuszp wrote:Comment please! :D
gods thats over whelmingly pink and bright! :shock:
My hero, is Mel.
mariuszp

Post by mariuszp »

Coty wrote:
mariuszp wrote:Comment please! :D
gods thats over whelmingly pink and bright! :shock:
gods that's only the bootup screen, in the finished OS you'll see this for less than a second!!! :shock:

P.S. you magenta, not pink :D
andymc

Post by andymc »

Visopsys
index-screenshot.jpg
index-screenshot.jpg (82.02 KiB) Viewed 8200 times
f2

Post by f2 »

Hi Andy, and welcome to the OSDev forums.

Your OS is very good and I know it since a while (The first version I tested is 0.2_PRE :D ).
Anyway, I'm very impatient to test the next version 0.7. Hope it will be available in a few
days :D ...

f2
"Open source seems to embrace the dark side of human nature." - Ville Turjanmaa
Brynet-Inc
Libera.chat IRC: brynet

Post by Brynet-Inc »

Indeed, I recall your project as well.

Welcome to the forums Andy.
Twitter: @canadianbryan. Award by smcerm, I stole it. Original was larger.
Asper

Post by Asper »

It's good to see you here Andy! :)
andymc

Post by andymc »

Asper wrote:It's good to see you here Andy! :)
Ha, you too Asper! 8)

Thanks everyone!
Qeroq

Post by Qeroq »

An image of my AMD64 loader, that sucessfully loads my kernel binary. Not much, but quite tricky to write.

Edit: The kernel gets loaded successfully, sets up its memory management (featuring dlmalloc) and parses some ACPI tables...
Attachments
OxygenKernel.png
OxygenLoader.png
Last edited by Qeroq on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://github.com/qero/Hydrogen (Loader for AMD64 kernels running on top of GRUB2)
digo_rp

Post by digo_rp »

My new screenshot :-)
Attachments
digos.JPG
subraX

Post by subraX »

Here's mine so far, this is SubraX. Subra has been developed in my spare time for the last couple of years now and then and am incorporating a minimal window manager, hence SubraX. This is the boot screen. As you can tell it's nowhere near completion, but love it all the same.

As you can see it does have an imaging system (SXI version 2.0), ramdisk support (given a SXR 1.0 - SubraX formatted ramdisk) and animation support is under way along with threading over the next couple of weeks. It only runs in Virtualbox but it is very fast and not everything is in yet and buggy!

I could go on and on and tell you what it doesn't have yet so it might be better to show you what it does (bugs and all)

GDT / IDT
Timer
PAE (Physical Address Extensions)
VESA via vbox only (via Oslib vm86 task) ->Going to port just relevant code and ditch because not updated sadly :(
SubraX Image format support (SXI Version 1.0) ->Ditching in favour of (SXI Version 2.0)
Keyb UK code present but removed for updates
Ext2fs (not yet working)
FAT32 (subject to legal queries possibly, also not yet working)
LBA over PIO ATA disk (works but some things aren't correct)
Partition (MSDOS) supported but not enabled and working
SXR support (Version 1.0) SubraX Ramdisk, loads everything even when hardware not 100% supported, so a workable environment could be used over NetBoot, wwwBoot, USBKey, CDROM, ISO and HD and whatever as long as a boot medium is present such as multiboot compliant grub et al. Not yet 100% to specification.
Boot Font support which is a little, er, well (swear words aren't allowed are they?), working but my artistic skills aren't good
and other stuff

Very early yet so not usable state!!

You can checkout http://www.love2code.org

Enjoy :D !

Bobby
thepowersgang
Libera.chat IRC: thePowersGang

Post by thepowersgang »

Well, it's been ages since I've posted here, so I thought I might show of my ifconfig application

I have basic networking implemented (UDP works, but TCP is a little iffy)
Attachments
ifconfig - The Acess2 network configuration program.
ifconfig - The Acess2 network configuration program.
Kernel Development, It's the brain surgery of programming.
Acess2 OS (c) | Tifflin OS (rust) | mrustc - Rust compiler
Currently Working on: mrustc
DavidCooper

Post by DavidCooper »

Here are a few screenshots to show you MSB-OS and the indexed-machine-code programming environment available in it. The first shot shows the control room (equivalent to the desktop) with a menu in the top left corner listing two applicatications available on the disk for loading. The second shows Machine Editor 2, though you can't see the bottom four lines as that part of the screen's just been been taken over by the monitor program which can be entered at any time by using a special key combination - the keyboard interrupt routine switches whatever code was about to run through the processor to indirect-run mode so that any freeze, whether in the OS or any app, can be debugged easily. The third shot shows a page of the manual with embedded machine code in it being run through the same monitor program - the machine code in yellow has just been run in single-steps to send all the values 0 to 255 to the top of the screen (each value twice).
Attachments
MSB-OS control room - equivalent of desktop. Shows a more advanced version of text editor about to be loaded in.
MSB-OS control room - equivalent of desktop. Shows a more advanced version of text editor about to be loaded in.
Machine Editor 2 showing some load code. Also shows instant switch to indirect run through monitor program of whatever code is currently running through processor - this lets me debug any freeze with ease.
Machine Editor 2 showing some load code. Also shows instant switch to indirect run through monitor program of whatever code is currently running through processor - this lets me debug any freeze with ease.
Running code embedded in the manual through the monitor program.
Running code embedded in the manual through the monitor program.
Help the people of Laos by liking - https://www.facebook.com/TheSBInitiative/?ref=py_c

MSB-OS: http://www.magicschoolbook.com/computing/os-project - direct machine code programming
artem

Post by artem »

Hi there,

Let me introduce Kolibri-A, an embeddable OS for AMD RS780 platforms (a branch of KolibriOS)

http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/EmbeddedKOS/
Attachments
NorthBridge registers view/edit utilities
NorthBridge registers view/edit utilities
PCI device enumerator
PCI device enumerator
artem

Post by artem »

:?:
Yeah, you were lucky to find the only thing not related to KolibriOS at all (on the blue filemanager's panel).

The upper screen shows how one can inspect various NB and PCIe registers staying in convenient GUI environment -- very useful tool for hardware engineers and driver developers.

The second snapshot demonstrates another powerful feature: the Ring3-remappable MMIO access.