What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
jojo
Libera.chat IRC: jojo

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by jojo »

Goddamn, Sik, I might just have to splurge on a flash cart for my Genesis just to check out your work.
osdever

Post by osdever »

glauxosdever wrote:Hi,

All of these screenshots make me want to stop any OS/language design I'm doing occasionally this period (apart from studying for final 3rd grade exams). I now want to work on the GUI!

Regards,
glauxosdever
You can get my graphical toolkit: it has alpha channel support, only a little bit of code to change for porting, by the way all U365 graphics is based on it. After porting Surface you can get STB_image and STB_truetype from my code and API for their usage with Surface, so you will get a lot of graphical functions and start to code a good-looking GUI with wallpaper and TrueType. There's a problem with perfomance now, but I work at that exactly now. I'll PM you when it'll be done, also I maybe write TTF text rendering (I have only one-line string rendering, this will support 1) newlines and tabulations, 2) text alignment by sides or center).
Developing U365.
Source:
only testing: http://gitlab.com/bps-projs/U365/tree/testing

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
glauxosdever
Libera.chat IRC: glauxosdever

Post by glauxosdever »

Hi,

While I said that I want to work on the GUI, I didn't say that I will actually work on it. Overall OS and language design is far more important right now than the GUI.

Regards,
glauxosdever
osdever

Post by osdever »

ok
Developing U365.
Source:

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
osdever

Post by osdever »

But when you will want it, you can write to me :-)
Developing U365.
Source:

Octacone

Post by Octacone »

Started working on Basic OS Revision 3.
Things I have in plan for this release:
1. Make an awesome memory manager, both virtual and physical
2. Enter ring 3
3. Tackle system calls
4. Make an awesome structural design that supports "libraries"
5. Make my GUI concepts become true (make some fancy looking GUI)
6. Make some FAT32 stuff
7. Make some IDE stuff
8. Make some VFS stuff
Here it is: (not as fancy as revision 2 [it had some broken good looking GUI] but it is only like 3 days old)
Attachments
Revision_3_Basic_OS_First_Screenshot.png
Revision_3_Basic_OS_First_Screenshot.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Last edited by Octacone on Thu May 11, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
osdever

Post by osdever »

looks good! Can I download ISO or something?
Developing U365.
Source:

Octacone

Post by Octacone »

catnikita255 wrote:looks good! Can I download ISO or something?
Thanks!! At the moment there is no point of getting an ISO because it doesn't do anything fancy. As soon as there is something to show I will consider releasing a preview.
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
Sik

Post by Sik »

jojo wrote:Goddamn, Sik, I might just have to splurge on a flash cart for my Genesis just to check out your work.
I didn't release anything yet though! I mean, there's literally just a moving cursor =/ (unless you want to try one of my games instead) Although if you do so you may need a Mega Everdrive since this thing will really need those 2MB of SRAM (and even then I may have to write code to explicitly save files to the SD card, although the RAM will still be useful for temporary files).
catnikita255 wrote:There's a problem with perfomance now, but I work at that exactly now.
Just to make it sure: you're rendering to RAM and not directly to the framebuffer, right? (I ask since the framebuffer will be on a much slower bus and a lot of people seem to make this mistake) If already so then nevermind what I said.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

It doesn't look like much until you realize that the last last line "Hi!" is printed from ACPI AML code! :)
Which means I have (partial) support for AML OpRegions. :)
acpi aml.png

Code: Select all

// Serial Port
		OperationRegion(SERL, SystemIO, 0x3F8, 1)
		Field(SERL, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
		{
			COMB, 8
		}

// Screen Framebuffer (QEMU ONLY!!)
		OperationRegion(SCRN, SystemMemory, 0xFD024040, 12)
		Field(SCRN, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
		{
			TST1, 32,
		}

// Test Method -- This should write "Hi!" to the serial port
		// And put a white pixel near the top-left of the screen
		// The pixel part only works in QEMU because hard-coded framebuffer address
		Method(WRTT, 0, Serialized)
		{
			COMB = 0x48	// 'H'
			COMB = 0x69	// 'i'
			COMB = 0x21	// '!'
			COMB = 13	// '\c'
			COMB = 10	// '\n'
			TST1 = 0xFFFFFF

Return(0xFA6)
		}

You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
osdever

Post by osdever »

JPG image displaying and TTF rendering. Top text is displayed by OS, bottom is on image.
Attachments
Screenshot_20161001_221432.jpg
Developing U365.
Source:

BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

catnikita255 wrote:JPG image displaying and TTF rendering. Top text is displayed by OS, bottom is on image.
Looks great! What library are you using for JPG decoding, or is it your own?
EDIT: I wish ACPI AML had more to show in a screenshot... I want to post in this thread yet work on my AML interpreter, lol.
Last edited by BrightLight on Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
MichaelFarthing

Post by MichaelFarthing »

A man who can decode jpeg! That is serious stuff!
osdever

Post by osdever »

omarrx024 wrote:
catnikita255 wrote:JPG image displaying and TTF rendering. Top text is displayed by OS, bottom is on image.
Looks great! What library are you using for JPG decoding, or is it your own?
EDIT: I wish ACPI AML had more to show in a screenshot... I want to post in this thread yet work on my AML interpreter, lol.
STB_image.
Developing U365.
Source:

crunch
Libera.chat IRC: crunch

Post by crunch »

Not as glamorous as some of you, but whats shown is a userland ELF executable (read off of an EXT2 image) using the write() syscall.
What's even cooler in my mind, is that the ELF executable was assembled and made into flat ELF format by the assembler I wrote running in my kernel. Didn't want to port NASM etc, because I mean, I'm already writing my own OS so why the hell not? And I don't have a full-fledged C library yet.
So glad to finally have user-mode up and running. My issue was not mapping the user-mode stack as user accessible in the paging structures... 'doh :?

Here's a screenshot with the assembler running in psuedo-interpreter mode, where it doesn't write the exectuable to disk. It simply translates and executes, and can execute code in either kernel or user mode.