What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
mariuszp

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by mariuszp »

Work in progress GUI.

BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

mariuszp wrote:Work in progress GUI.
Beautiful! Mind if you PM me that background?
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
nakst

Post by nakst »

How are you setting the graphics mode? Do you use hardware acceleration? It looks very pretty! =D>
mariuszp

Post by mariuszp »

@omarrx024: I have sent you the background over PM.

@nakst: currently it sets the video mode using BGA, but there is an abstract interface over graphics hardware, so I can port it to use VESA by simply writing a new driver. Hardware acceleration is not yet supported.
ggodw000

Post by ggodw000 »

my latest purchase is a "primer on memory consistency and cache coherency" by Daniel J. Sorin, Mark D.Hill and David A. Wood, after a lot of searching on topics i.e. memory cache coherency and related topics, I finally received, went through few chapters so far. I already think it is well-written not too technical yet complicated enough to be a graduate course level study.
key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails
zesterer
Libera.chat IRC: zesterer

Post by zesterer »

My x86_64 operating system (not much more than a basic kernel and a kernel-space C library so far)
Screenshot from 2016-02-22 14-05-35.png
As is obvious, it's called "Thoth".
Current developing Tupai, a monolithic x86 operating system
http://zesterer.homenet.org/projects.shtml
nakst

Post by nakst »

I've made some progress on my operating system and it's now able to load files from the hard drive on ext2 volumes! (that said, my VFS needs some serious work). Using the STB truetype library I've created a little test program where you enter the path of a font, and then type a message with it, which will be converted to ASCII art. I think it's pretty cool :3
osdever

Post by osdever »

nakst wrote:I've made some progress on my operating system and it's now able to load files from the hard drive on ext2 volumes! (that said, my VFS needs some serious work). Using the STB truetype library I've created a little test program where you enter the path of a font, and then type a message with it, which will be converted to ASCII art. I think it's pretty cool :3
Cool. But why you have a "if the kernel hangs here bla bla bla" line? Why not use the system test and display that message only when needed? This is my OS on 31 MB of RAM, so it crashes with error.
Attachments
Screenshot_20160303_140733.png
Screenshot_20160303_140733.png (8.36 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
Developing U365.
Source:
only testing: http://gitlab.com/bps-projs/U365/tree/testing

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
nakst

Post by nakst »

catnikita255 wrote:
nakst wrote:I've made some progress on my operating system and it's now able to load files from the hard drive on ext2 volumes! (that said, my VFS needs some serious work). Using the STB truetype library I've created a little test program where you enter the path of a font, and then type a message with it, which will be converted to ASCII art. I think it's pretty cool :3
Cool. But why you have a "if the kernel hangs here bla bla bla" line? Why not use the system test and display that message only when needed? This is my OS on 31 MB of RAM, so it crashes with error.
This message is printed just before I switch to preemptive scheduling. Since I can't think of a processor speed independent way to test if the PIT is working correctly, I just added in that line. I'll probably remove it in the future - most of the logging stuff now is temporary and for debugging reasons only.
dseller

Post by dseller »

catnikita255 wrote:
I like how the 'q' looks in your font :lol:
osdever

Post by osdever »

dseller wrote:
catnikita255 wrote:
I like how the 'q' looks in your font :lol:
It's stupid, I know.
Developing U365.
Source:

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
~
Libera.chat IRC: ArcheFire

Post by ~ »

omarrx024 wrote:
Beautiful! Mind if you PM me that background?
It's in the source code and in Git (I'd just like to know what the program that generated it looks like, presumably randomly):
http://raw.githubusercontent.com/madd-games/glidix/master/userspace/images/wallpaper.png
osdever

Post by osdever »

U365 on Bochs. See that cool text in the bottom :D
Attachments
Screenshot_20160307_090249.png
Developing U365.
Source:

quxuan
Libera.chat IRC: quxuan

Post by quxuan »

catnikita255 wrote:U365 on Bochs. See that cool text in the bottom :D
why i can not open your website? I want see your source code, have you put your code on github?
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

quxuan wrote:
catnikita255 wrote:U365 on Bochs. See that cool text in the bottom :D
why i can not open your website? I want see your source code, have you put your code on github?
I've noticed that too. catnikita255: your site is down, Chrome says: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED.
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.