What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
OS32

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by OS32 »

Roflo wrote:Yeah, now my little OS can read HardDisks and Partitions :D
Nice work. How do you access disks? Do you use vm86 mode, real mode or do you program the ATA controller?
Techel

Post by Techel »

I program the controller, the other ways wont work properly in a multitasking environment.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Roflo wrote:I program the controller, the other ways wont work properly in a multitasking environment.
VM8086 mode should work well actually..
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

omarrx024 wrote: VM8086 mode should work well actually..
It is not portable. Even not in x86-64!.
alexfru

Post by alexfru »

Brynet-Inc wrote:It's always nice when people take pictures instead of exclusively testing in emulators. Real hardware is important.
How do you know what's real?

http://youtu.be/jWx7REAQ2MY looks real :)
rdos

Post by rdos »

Brynet-Inc wrote:It's always nice when people take pictures instead of exclusively testing in emulators. Real hardware is important.
Why not pictures of emulators hosted on the OS running the boot-code of the OS? :mrgreen:
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

Inspired by Brynet's comment, I took some time to get my netbook updated with my newest builds. It's been quite a while since I last had a bootable system on it. Turns out, I had some problems in my ATA drivers that prevented device detection from functioning on the sloooow PATA controller, so after quite a bit of debugging I finally got that figured out and...

... a brand-new Toaru kernel and userspace! My new display server runs so much better than the old one, and this build has a lot more fun stuff in it (like a PDF viewer and a video player I'm working on with libav).

Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

klange wrote:
Inspired by Brynet's comment, I took some time to get my netbook updated with my newest builds. It's been quite a while since I last had a bootable system on it. Turns out, I had some problems in my ATA drivers that prevented device detection from functioning on the sloooow PATA controller, so after quite a bit of debugging I finally got that figured out and...
Really, your OS is looking as real as a Linux distro. I wonder, why your OS is not famous as it should be?
Roman

Post by Roman »

muazzam wrote:
klange wrote:
Really, your OS is looking as real as a Linux distro. I wonder, why your OS is not famous as it should be?
Both Linux and ToAru have one problem - hardware support. And why do you think it's not famous? For example, it's (and PonyOS) well known on one of the most popular russian Linux forums - linux.org.ru.
"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

Roman wrote: And why do you think it's not famous? For example, it's (and PonyOS) well known on one of the most popular russian Linux forums - linux.org.ru.
Popularity at one website is not popularity. It is not even in wikipedia, osnews etc and it is even less popular than kolibri OS or menuet OS. I think, one reason of not being famous is that it is not available to download from its website and its "strange" name.
Roman

Post by Roman »

muazzam wrote:
Roman wrote: And why do you think it's not famous? For example, it's (and PonyOS) well known on one of the most popular russian Linux forums - linux.org.ru.
Popularity at one website is not popularity. It is not even in wikipedia, osnews etc and it is even less popular than kolibri OS or menuet OS. I think, one reason of not being famous is that it is not available to download from its website and its "strange" name.
Again, it definitely cannot compete with Windows (you know why), it can compete with Linux, if it will get community, but Linux already has got it.
"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Perhaps competing isn't even the goal? I don't know about the other Kevin (who might be just a tiny bit more relevant for this OS ;)), but if had an OS that was actually usable, I would probably like using it sometimes myself and writing about it here and on Lowlevel, but I certainly wouldn't be interested in doing any sort of marketing or even just supporting other users.

That said, even though I've been having great respect for his achievements with Toaru already for a long time, I doubt it's actually usable yet for what I usually use my computer for.
Developer of tyndur - community OS of Lowlevel (German)
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Since everyone's posting their OSes on real hardware, why not? :D
Here's the boot loader:
And the about system dialog box (it's a little buggy on real hardware, though)
It's nice to have old computers to test your OS on. :D

EDIT: 100th Post! :D
Last edited by BrightLight on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
Techel

Post by Techel »

omarrx024 wrote:It's nice to have old computers to test your OS on. :D
Yes, old... 3x4GHz ... :wink:
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Roflo wrote:
omarrx024 wrote:It's nice to have old computers to test your OS on. :D
Yes, old... 3x4GHz ... :wink:
This PC has only 512 MB of RAM. I didn't mean very old, it's just older than my nice laptop (Intel Core i3) :mrgreen: