What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
pikasoo

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by pikasoo »

bubach wrote:MenuetOS has a skin very much like the one you use, especially on the window-titlebar, is your OS based on Menuet?
not at all, but a similar skin was on red hat 5.0(i know its old) when i had installed, i remade it in photoshop.
as for the menuetos, i didnt took a look at it but i did use a part of code from kolibrios(wich i belive is based on that os) for the network dec21140 driver. everything else was made from scratch with a lot of help from this wiki and google
SparrowOS

Post by SparrowOS »

SparrowOS: Worked on it for 9 Years. Has compiler.

klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

I have a new compositor that uses Cairo for rendering rather than my home-brew blitting, which allows me to use accelerated RGBA blitting functions with SSE. Still working on getting Cairo packaged up with the rest of my toolchain, though.
Last edited by klange on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ben1066

Post by ben1066 »

Now got my console fully rendered in graphics mode. Currently got an issue with QEMU though, it doesn't update very well for graphics and Bochs is just really damn slow. VirtualBox still works fully though.
bubach

Post by bubach »

pikasoo wrote:
bubach wrote:MenuetOS has a skin very much like the one you use, especially on the window-titlebar, is your OS based on Menuet?
not at all, but a similar skin was on red hat 5.0(i know its old) when i had installed, i remade it in photoshop.
as for the menuetos, i didnt took a look at it but i did use a part of code from kolibrios(wich i belive is based on that os) for the network dec21140 driver. everything else was made from scratch with a lot of help from this wiki and google
ok cool :)
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
http://bos.asmhackers.net/ - GitHub
captmicro

Post by captmicro »

Just registered so I figured I'd post my current work in progress. It's a hex editor I ported from one I wrote for xbox1 with a few more features.
The rest of the OS isn't very interesting, your standard P-mode operating system. The only other app is a simple terminal to launch applications and such.
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

Brand new window decoration theme (hand-built, but visually based on Shiki / ClearGlow / a few others of a similar style) and support for focused/unfocused windows yielded this updated screenshot:

zity

Post by zity »

I have been working on this system on and off for several years now. At the moment the primary task is clean out bugs. The system has several features, but unfortunately I have been too lazy to make sure all components work properly without crashing from time to time.

- 64 bit system
- Loadable ELF programs
- Support for shared libraries
- ATA/ATAPI driver
- Working VFS
- Support for FAT16/32 and ISO9660 (+ devfs and initrd)
- Multicore support
- VESA/VBE graphics (using x86emu)

Hopefully I will get time to stabilize the system in the future, because most of the important features are present at the moment.
Attachments
yau64_new.png
SparrowOS

Post by SparrowOS »

zity wrote:I have been working on this system on and off for several years now. At the moment the primary task is clean out bugs. The system has several features, but unfortunately I have been too lazy to make sure all components work properly without crashing from time to time.

- 64 bit system
- Loadable ELF programs
- Support for shared libraries
- ATA/ATAPI driver
- Working VFS
- Support for FAT16/32 and ISO9660 (+ devfs and initrd)
- Multicore support
- VESA/VBE graphics (using x86emu)

Hopefully I will get time to stabilize the system in the future, because most of the important features are present at the moment.

Now, work on a compiler and invent a new language like Richie.

You need to do scripting, right?

You're not just cloning Linux?
SparrowOS

Post by SparrowOS »

When it came time to do my command line (about 2 weeks into my OS), I said, "I need to do scripting". I hated the Unix language because I could never remember it because I used it so rarely. And, it's for admins, not real programmers. I said, "I'll use C, more or less!" That's how my command-line became C/C++. Start with an interpretor. You can convert it to a compiler, work on optimizations for years and add an assembler.

Why do a compiler? Why do an operating system?
simplex

Post by simplex »

Hi All, just thought i would post a screen shot of my os.
Attachments
The Mandelbrot Set
The Mandelbrot Set
Love4Boobies

Post by Love4Boobies »

SparrowOS wrote:When it came time to do my command line (about 2 weeks into my OS), I said, "I need to do scripting". I hated the Unix language because I could never remember it because I used it so rarely. And, it's for admins, not real programmers.
Fortunately, I have never regarded myself as a programmer (a.k.a. a code monkey). Programming is a tool that can be used to solve interesting problems: it's not what you do, it's how you might do it. It's just like driving: it may be fun but you don't do it for the sake of driving---you do it to get from one place to another.

Hence, the real question should be whether sh can be used to solve some problems more efficiently than C. To use programming just for the sake of using programming suggests not having many useful skills. Note that I am not discussing your decision to have a C-like interpreter, only your comment on sh.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.", Popular Mechanics (1949)
[ Project UDI ]
Coty

Post by Coty »

Love4Boobies wrote:It's just like driving: it may be fun but you don't do it for the sake of driving---you do it to get from one place to another.
I must not apply to this rule :mrgreen: I think you need a good German car with some winding country roads like in Ohio and West Virginia. :wink:
Love4Boobies wrote:Hence, the real question should be whether sh can be used to solve some problems more efficiently than C.
Yes, however more limited it takes much less time to complete the same task...
My hero, is Mel.
Love4Boobies

Post by Love4Boobies »

Coty wrote:
Love4Boobies wrote:It's just like driving: it may be fun but you don't do it for the sake of driving---you do it to get from one place to another.
I must not apply to this rule :mrgreen: I think you need a good German car with some winding country roads like in Ohio and West Virginia. :wink:
I phrased it in such a way not to exclude learning from being the problem definition.
Coty wrote:
Love4Boobies wrote:Hence, the real question should be whether sh can be used to solve some problems more efficiently than C.
Yes, however more limited it takes much less time to complete the same task...
There you go. :)
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.", Popular Mechanics (1949)
[ Project UDI ]
Combuster
Libera.chat IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Post by Combuster »

The majority of people having a motorcycle typically drive it for driving's sake. And if you ever watched Top Gear, the same kind of people exist on the subject of cars - they're just not as prevalent because the car is pretty much the default solution to a problem called distance.
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]