What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
pcmattman
Libera.chat IRC: miselin

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by pcmattman »

I just managed to get a (very basic!) IPv6 implementation going, and as always I test my initial groundwork on new networking stuff by pinging a VM running Pedigree.

So this screenshot shows an IPv6 ping between my host and Pedigree running successfully. Next up - making sure TCP and UDP work :).
pedigree-ipv6-first-ping.png
EDIT: And now TCP and UDP work! :D
ipv6-tcp.png
cxzuk

Post by cxzuk »

pcmattman wrote:I just managed to get a (very basic!) IPv6 implementation going, and as always I test my initial groundwork on new networking stuff by pinging a VM running Pedigree.

So this screenshot shows an IPv6 ping between my host and Pedigree running successfully. Next up - making sure TCP and UDP work :).
pedigree-ipv6-first-ping.png
EDIT: And now TCP and UDP work! :D
ipv6-tcp.png
Awesome!
thepowersgang
Libera.chat IRC: thePowersGang

Post by thepowersgang »

Darn, I wish my IP/TCP implementation was that stable :(

Well done anyway :)
Kernel Development, It's the brain surgery of programming.
Acess2 OS (c) | Tifflin OS (rust) | mrustc - Rust compiler
Currently Working on: mrustc
mariuszp

Post by mariuszp »

I think my OS likes to change IDT gates...
wikiwolf

Post by wikiwolf »

Hi there, I'm new!
I'm Claudio (from Italy) and this is my os, Echoes (exokernel-like kernel is named Tempera):

actually, colors shown are from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cr ... yon_colors

features:
- written in C++
- multiboot2 (1.6 spec) support
- 1024x768x32 framebuffer console (charset is mine too, ASCII from 0x20 to 0x7E, it taken so many time...)

next step: write a physical memory manager

descriptor tables and interrupts code is a modified version of the james'm tutorials one (thanks James ;-))

---
NB: Sorry, my english is not perfect, if I make some mistake please tell me.
Love4Boobies

Post by Love4Boobies »

pcmattman wrote:I just managed to get a (very basic!) IPv6 implementation going
That's so awesome :mrgreen: (green with envy)
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.", Popular Mechanics (1949)
[ Project UDI ]
branan

Post by branan »

This is a couple week's worth of work on a 64-bit OS.

It's loaded in two stages from GRUB 1 - a 32-bit stub sets up some initial kernel data structures, and the kernel itself is a flat binary loaded as a module by grub. Right now the initial usermode code is also a flat binary loaded as a module, but hopefully that will go away sooner rather than later, and be replaced by the kernel loading the init process from the filesystem.

At this point, the kernel gets its paging in order, sets up keyboard input and some simple interrupt handling, and kicks down to ring 3 for the user process - which at the moment simply makes two system calls: one to print the message and one to halt the system.

Next things on my TODO list are to move keyboard input/text output into a more abstract file handling setup, so they can be treated as STDIN and STDOUT, and also to setup a process model so init can fork itself into an actual program. Fixing the whole file thing will also let me start dumping the kernel log out to the emulated serial port, so the main screen can be used purely for program interaction.

EDIT: So I still haven't fixed input/output to use files yet, but I have gotten fork and task switching working!
Attachments
64boss_2.png
64boss_1.png
casnix

Post by casnix »

I'm trying to fix somethings, but I've got boot screens (which I find cool, but ¥eah)

This one's of the pre-alpha boot screen in 90x60 text mode, before I realized that Dell video cards have problems with it.
[simg]http://casnix.sourceforge.net/pre-alpha-boot-screen.png[/simg

So I moved onto alpha and also added a VGA mode called Dell_pc which is really 80x50 mode.
[simg]http://casnix.sourceforge.net/alpha1.0-VGAMODEisDell_pc-boot.png[/simg]

Strangely enough, my video driver doesn't work with 80x25 text mode....:][]

EDIT: Is there a way to make my pictures smaller?
Last edited by casnix on Sun May 01, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are a computer.
~ MCS ~
Combuster
Libera.chat IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Post by Combuster »

How about not enlarging them in the first place? They should be 720x480 in 90x60 text...

That and I can't imagine that you don't know how mspaint or gimp works :roll:
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
casnix

Post by casnix »

Combuster wrote:
How about not enlarging them in the first place? They should be 720x480 in 90x60 text...

Heh I'm on a mac, so no paint software. Will get gimp, though. My screen is 1024x1024 and my vmachine is full screen. But yeah shoulda thought about gimp
You are a computer.
~ MCS ~
eddyb

Post by eddyb »

casnix wrote:
Combuster wrote:

Heh I'm on a mac, so no paint software. Will get gimp, though. My screen is 1024x1024 and my vmachine is full screen. But yeah shoulda thought about gimp
I usually leave the emulator/window I need to capture and just choose to make a screenshot of the window without borders instead of the fullscreen. That's with KScreenshot, but I'm not sure on the mac (google found me this: http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Scre ... n_Mac_OS_X ).
turdus

Post by turdus »

casnix wrote:I'm on a mac, so no paint software.
Wtf? You can crop and resize images with Preview that's shipped with your Mac...
gamefreak11221

Post by gamefreak11221 »

:twisted: I present to you my Small OS, The Black Box Operating System! :twisted:

This one below is taken from the desktop by pressing the Screenshot button on the Emulator/Virtual PC:

And this one below is taken from my desktop while running Black Box OS on a Emulator/Virtual PC:

I'm still deciding if i'm going to release it as a open-source operating system and yes, this is the Small OS i'm talking about which took 3 years of my life to finish :D
Last edited by gamefreak11221 on Fri May 13, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
openBOX - A hybrid cloud OS
Yargh

Post by Yargh »

gamefreak11221 wrote::twisted: I present to you my Small OS, The Black Box Operating System!
Nice job, I doubt I'll ever be able to get something even remotely similar to a GUI (laziness :D )
Wait... What?
NickJohnson

Post by NickJohnson »

@gamefreak11221: That looks really cool; do you have any shots of it running applications? Or maybe a disk image?