Announcement: IdealOS

This forums is for OS project announcements including project openings, new releases, update notices, test requests, and job openings (both paying and volunteer).
Alexey1994

Announcement: IdealOS

Post by Alexey1994 »

This day has come. I wrote the ideal OS.

https://github.com/Alexey1994/IdealOS
iansjack

Re: Announcement: IdealOS

Post by iansjack »

Any reason why you use such an ancient toolset?
Alexey1994

Post by Alexey1994 »

iansjack wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:01 am Any reason why you use such an ancient toolset?
1. I don't care about tools
2. Small size. I like everything small
iansjack

Post by iansjack »

You should note that as you are redistributing nasm you need to include its licence in your documentation. The same may be true of other programs that you are redistributing.

This is a legal obligation.
Alexey1994

Post by Alexey1994 »

iansjack wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:36 am You should note that as you are redistributing nasm you need to include its licence in your documentation. The same may be true of other programs that you are redistributing.

This is a legal obligation.
I don’t think that anyone can force me to act by referring to such laws. But let this someone try.
nullplan

Post by nullplan »

Alexey1994 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:51 am I don’t think that anyone can force me to act by referring to such laws. But let this someone try.
Don't think yourself too safe. While it is unlikely anyone would take any action, and it is highly unlikely anyone would try to sue you personally in Belarus, they can still take down your github account. Over something as petty as including the bloody license in the documentation. Is that risk worth it to you?
Carpe diem!
iansjack

Post by iansjack »

Apart from anything else it’s a simple courtesy to the author of the software. If it’s good enough to use it’s good enough for their contribution to be acknowledged.
Alexey1994

Post by Alexey1994 »

nullplan wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:40 am Don't think yourself too safe. While it is unlikely anyone would take any action, and it is highly unlikely anyone would try to sue you personally in Belarus, they can still take down your github account. Over something as petty as including the bloody license in the documentation. Is that risk worth it to you?
Deleting my github account will not harm me in any way, on the contrary, I will not need to maintain it. And I already store my code on hard drives, they are cheap. You need my account so you can look at my work.

Well, as for intellectual property rights in the USA, take a look at the source code of windows nt 3.51, which is in the public domain
Last edited by nexos on Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't put links to proprietary source code in posts
Alexey1994

Post by Alexey1994 »

iansjack wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:57 am Apart from anything else it’s a simple courtesy to the author of the software. If it’s good enough to use it’s good enough for their contribution to be acknowledged.
I don't know the author, he doesn't know me. If I call him an offensive word, it won’t matter to him. Same with courtesy, unless the author is a sadist and wants everyone to fawn over him like Zuckerberg’s servants.

The fact that I use the author’s product warms his soul more than senseless bureaucracy.

Of course, you are right in some ways, but this will not lead to action on my part.
PavelChekov

Post by PavelChekov »

Alexey1994 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:23 am
iansjack wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:57 am Apart from anything else it’s a simple courtesy to the author of the software. If it’s good enough to use it’s good enough for their contribution to be acknowledged.
I don't know the author, he doesn't know me. If I call him an offensive word, it won’t matter to him. Same with courtesy, unless the author is a sadist and wants everyone to fawn over him like Zuckerberg’s servants.

The fact that I use the author’s product warms his soul more than senseless bureaucracy.

Of course, you are right in some ways, but this will not lead to action on my part.
If you refuse to respect others licenses, than why do you expect anyone to respect yours? Do you expect everyone to fawn over _you_, because you're somehow better than him?

This is how open source works.
USS Enterprise NCC-1701,
The Final Frontier,
Space,
The Universe

Live Long And Prosper

Slava Ukraini!
Слава Україні!
Alexey1994

Post by Alexey1994 »

PavelChekov wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:53 am If you refuse to respect others licenses, than why do you expect anyone to respect yours? Do you expect everyone to fawn over _you_, because you're somehow better than him?

This is how open source works.
If this is a moral issue, then I am not morally sensitive. You can use my programs without any restrictions for yourself, the main thing is to use them. I have the MIT license there because it seemed the most permissive. Maybe I’m using the wrong license, because I don’t want anyone to be obliged to indicate me as the author of something there, because it’s already clear who wrote IdealOS.
iansjack

Post by iansjack »

The MIT licence requires exactly what you scorn. You are demanding of others something that you are too lazy to do.
Alexey1994

Post by Alexey1994 »

iansjack wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:29 pm The MIT licence requires exactly what you scorn. You are demanding of others something that you are too lazy to do.
Ok, the license has been changed. But remember that it was you who forced me to take this action. You are not a very good person.
qookie
Libera.chat IRC: qookie

Post by qookie »

Alexey1994 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:00 am Well, as for intellectual property rights in the USA, take a look at the source code of windows nt 3.51, which is in the public domain https://archive.org/details/nt351.889
The source code for Windows NT is not in the public domain, and is only circulating online because it was leaked. The fact it's been uploaded to the Internet Archive and hasn't been taken down by Microsoft does not give you the right to use the code. I'm pretty sure that even (admitting to) looking at it taints you if you ever wanted to contribute to Wine or ReactOS for example.
Working on managarm.
Alexey1994

Post by Alexey1994 »

qookie wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:48 am The source code for Windows NT is not in the public domain, and is only circulating online because it was leaked. The fact it's been uploaded to the Internet Archive and hasn't been taken down by Microsoft does not give you the right to use the code. I'm pretty sure that even (admitting to) looking at it taints you if you ever wanted to contribute to Wine or ReactOS for example.
I understand that this is an example, but damn, why contribute there if the original NT is already good? And you can even change the source code to suit your needs. How shouldn't you value your time? Moreover, where reputation is valued, not skills. World of illusions.