What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
sleephacker

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by sleephacker »

eekee wrote:@sleephacker: Sweet! But is the kernel really <= 4096 bytes? $b000 - $a000 = 4096.
I don't have a kernel yet. The current "kernel" is just some code to fill the screen with a predefined color to demonstrate that the VBE mode works and that the framebuffer/resolution/bpp/bytes-per-line passed by the bootloader is correct. The "ramdisk" is currently just an ASCII string for debugging purposes.
eekee
Discord: eekee

Post by eekee »

Ah, so it's not an ultramicrokernel. (yet? ;)) The string reminds me of 9front where, if booted by multiboot, the 'ramdisk' is actually plan9.ini.
Kaph — a modular OS intended to be easy and fun to administer and code for.
"May wisdom, fun, and the greater good shine forth in all your work." — Leo Brodie
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

I've finally re-implemented my weather panel widget after moving away from my old Python userspace:

Kaisogen

Post by Kaisogen »

I started developing my OS a few months back, but kept restarting due to a lack of knowledge, and learning from my previous mistakes. I'm finally past the bootloader stage with something I can respect as a baseline, now I'm working on my kernel. I just implemented a PIT timer, with a sleep function. I tried testing how accurate delays were, and it seems like they work well enough. Now I'm onto developing a fdd driver!

This OS is also my capstone project for my Senior Year, so hopefully this COVID-19 quarantine stuff will give me some more time to work on it every day! :D
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-03-28 18-28-23.png
Screenshot from 2020-03-28 18-28-23.png (10.17 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
KoiOS: https://github.com/GabrielRRussell/KoiOS

Code: Select all

#define CURRENT_YEAR 2014 // Change this each year!
nielsd

Post by nielsd »

Runs Wasm programs using the Cranelift compiler.
This is a simple Rust program which uses a Vec to calculate a sum (to test memory allocation in program) and prints some text.
Compiled with the Rust wasm32-wasi target.

osdev project, goal is to run wasm as userspace: https://github.com/kwast-os/kwast
bzt

Post by bzt »

nielsd wrote:Runs Wasm programs using the Cranelift compiler.
Cool! What's Cranelift compiler? Would you mind adding a link to it on wasm wiki page?

Thanks!
bzt
nielsd

Post by nielsd »

bzt wrote:
nielsd wrote:Runs Wasm programs using the Cranelift compiler.
Cool! What's Cranelift compiler? Would you mind adding a link to it on wasm wiki page?

Thanks!
bzt
It's the compiler that wasmtime uses. It has builtin support for compiling wasm to native code, requiring you to implement some traits.
If you want to use it inside a kernel, you need to make some minor changes to get it to work in a no_std environment.
Recently, Cranelift was moved inside the wasmtime repository (which is linked on the wiki page already) for convenience reasons apparently.
However, you can use Cranelift independently from wasmtime.
I added a link now :)
osdev project, goal is to run wasm as userspace: https://github.com/kwast-os/kwast
Monax

Post by Monax »

Just finished porting my terminal to my widget library.
gungomanj

Post by gungomanj »

After a long period of inactivity I decided to start working on my ARM64 OS. I wrote an exception handler and some timer code that fires the exception handler every 5 seconds.

I think I am going to switch to 68k or another microcontroller as I dont like MMUs and complex processors.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-04-18_20-32-02.png
iProgramInCpp

Post by iProgramInCpp »

My operating system now accepts a VESA framebuffer! I've also been implementing a TinyBasic interpreter (sometime in 2019). :)

Here are some screenshots!
Hey! I'm developing two operating systems:

NanoShell --- A 32-bit operating system whose GUI takes inspiration from Windows 9x and early UNIX desktop managers.
Boron --- A portable SMP operating system taking inspiration from the design of the Windows NT kernel.
ComputerFido

Post by ComputerFido »

I finally managed to get DOOM running!
gungomanj

Post by gungomanj »

My RISC-V based project, it can take keyboard interrupts and print to console now :)
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-05-18 02-33-31.png
Peterbjornx
Libera.chat IRC: peterbjornx

Post by Peterbjornx »

Got back to my OS project after a few years and upgraded the toolchain to GCC 9.3.0, didn't seem to break much
python!.png
GeGuNa

Post by GeGuNa »

Peterbjornx wrote:Got back to my OS project after a few years and upgraded the toolchain to GCC 9.3.0, didn't seem to break much
python!.png
Hello, can you give to us source link ?
coderTrevor

Post by coderTrevor »

Hi ComputerFido, congrats on getting Doom running!

I took a look at Lemon-Doom and saw you had forked a project called doomgeneric, which I had never heard of before. It's really nice! I was looking for something like that but didn't know how to find it. Thanks for sharing your source and posting here because I was able to benefit a lot from that.

I hope you don't think I'm stealing your thunder, but after a couple of days and nights of hacking, I managed to port doomgeneric to my OS, which I creatively call MyOS.

Here's Doom running on MyOS:

Running Doom was the biggest goal I had for my OS from the get-go; kinda hard to believe I actually pulled it off, haha. :lol: