What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
mallard

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by mallard »

MajickTek wrote: Technically, Duktape is for a JavaScript subset called EcmaScript, but I guess it would be compatible.
ECMAScript is JavaScript. JavaScript is a trademark originally owned by Netscape (I think it's with Mozilla now) and technically only referrs to the implementation in Netscape/Mozilla browsers. Whoever owns the "JavaScript" trademark allows it to be used for compatible implementations now, but this wasn't always the case, e.g. Internet Explorer's "JavaScript" is actually called "JScript".

"ECMAScript" is the name used by the Ecma International (formerly the European Computer Manufacturers Association), whose ECMA-262 standard is the standard for the "JavaScript" family of languages, including non-browser dialects, such as ActionScript and Node.js.
MajickTek
Libera.chat IRC: MajickTek

Post by MajickTek »

mallard wrote: ECMAScript is JavaScript. JavaScript is a trademark originally owned by Netscape (I think it's with Mozilla now) and technically only referrs to the implementation in Netscape/Mozilla browsers. Whoever owns the "JavaScript" trademark allows it to be used for compatible implementations now, but this wasn't always the case, e.g. Internet Explorer's "JavaScript" is actually called "JScript".

"ECMAScript" is the name used by the Ecma International (formerly the European Computer Manufacturers Association), whose ECMA-262 standard is the standard for the "JavaScript" family of languages, including non-browser dialects, such as ActionScript and Node.js.
My mistake. I thought it was a separate standard, like an extension or something. Everyone has mistakes :oops:
Everyone should know how to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think! -Steve Jobs

Code: Select all

while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) ); 
davidv1992

Post by davidv1992 »

fullmoon_fstest.png
Working on the ext2 implementation of my current project. The directory listing at the end is produced by a binary in userspace using kernel calls to read the directory contents. Currently it is text interface only.
Korona

Post by Korona »

davidv1992 wrote:The directory listing at the end is produced by a binary in userspace using kernel calls to read the directory contents. Currently it is text interface only.
Nice. I feel like getting the basics like drivers and solid user space interfaces to work is often underappreciated in threads like this one. Good job getting this stuff to work!
managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

Korona wrote:
davidv1992 wrote:The directory listing at the end is produced by a binary in userspace using kernel calls to read the directory contents. Currently it is text interface only.
Nice. I feel like getting the basics like drivers and solid user space interfaces to work is often underappreciated in threads like this one. Good job getting this stuff to work!
I agree, great job @davidv1992.
People have been enchanted by all those GUI's. They only care about what is on the surface, not thinking about what is inside (core code base).
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
petya

Post by petya »

shmx

Post by shmx »

Partial implementation WinApi in my Kernel (for MinGW libc++). I can now develop kernel modules using full STL. :)
Attachments
111.PNG
human00731582

Post by human00731582 »

After about a month of slowly-increasing work, I've made it real cutesie but still needs a LOT of under-the-hood work. The command parser is on its way and eventually I'll be ditching the pre-usermode shell altogether most likely. Couple things on the itinerary include the filesystem, basic drivers, and real hardware implementation.

I'm having issues implementing the A20 and paging with a VIA Eden C7 that I got from a friend. Got to get over that hurdle to truly FEEL the fruits of my labor! :D
2024-05-07: Returning from a 7-year disappearing act; please be kind.
bzt

Post by bzt »

@human00731582: according to A20 gate, this code is tested and proven to work on VirtualBox, qemu, bochs and on real machines (among others VIA mbs) as well. Tries to use BIOS and fallbacks to 8042 chip method.
human00731582

Post by human00731582 »

bzt wrote:@human00731582: according to A20 gate, this code is tested and proven to work on VirtualBox, qemu, bochs and on real machines (among others VIA mbs) as well. Tries to use BIOS and fallbacks to 8042 chip method.
Thanks for the sample! I don't want to derail the thread, so if you don't mind, I'm going to PM you asking about this sample. I appreciate the feedback.
2024-05-07: Returning from a 7-year disappearing act; please be kind.
Geri

Post by Geri »

finally i can emulate my os on shitty arm

Operating system for SUBLEQ cpu architecture:
http://users.atw.hu/gerigeri/DawnOS/download.html
snijj

Post by snijj »

Getting back on topic...

Here is an early version of my OS's boot menu.
Early boot menu.
Early boot menu.
This is part of a custom boot loader that I'm developing for my kernel. It will eventually show each of the volumes/partitions with a recognised OS/Kernel on it. They'll be shown with a disk icon representing the medium they are on along with the volume name.
MajickTek
Libera.chat IRC: MajickTek

Post by MajickTek »

snijj wrote:Getting back on topic...

Here is an early version of my OS's boot menu.

This is part of a custom boot loader that I'm developing for my kernel. It will eventually show each of the volumes/partitions with a recognised OS/Kernel on it. They'll be shown with a disk icon representing the medium they are on along with the volume name.
Reminds me of a Macintosh Classic :P

Edit: and no kidding! you are running the VM on macOS (or a very convincing macOS theme for Windows)
Everyone should know how to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think! -Steve Jobs

Code: Select all

while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) ); 
snijj

Post by snijj »

Haha, yeah at the moment it does somewhat resemble that doesn't it? :P. It will have the volume labels underneath each of the icons eventually, and the icons will be positioned side by side, with the ability to select which volume is booted.
Artlav

Post by Artlav »

Working on the network stack...
Never expected that i would be so excited by a simple ping!