What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
bradbobak

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by bradbobak »

SpyderTL wrote:
bradbobak wrote:First post of my os screenshot. Just the basics, video, ring0 / 3, syscalls, fs driver, custom filesystem support, elf64 object file loading, keyboard support. message passing support.
The window manager doesn't look like much yet, but its functional.
cor64.png
That's quite impressive.

Almost as impressive as your forum stats:

:mrgreen:
Yeah, lol. I've been on and off with osdeving. starting with a 32bit os, and now only supporting 64bit (seeing by the time its functional 32bit will be gone :) ) Not expecting much from it, but its fun coding an os, so hey.
MintyFresh

Post by MintyFresh »

I use a serial port for debugging.
Actually, I've gotten it to run in VBoxHeadless, so I generally just stick to that.

How do I then test my OS?
Thoroughly.
mallard

Post by mallard »

What programming language is that? One that uses the "≠" symbol (presumably the IDE makes that possible to type, or you've got a very weird keyboard) and allows (what appears to be) the passing of a block of code as a parameter to a function, but otherwise looks very C-like and has pointers...

On second thought, maybe it is C, but with a font that turns "!=" into a ligature that resembles "≠" and "unittest" is a macro?
Last edited by mallard on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MintyFresh

Post by MintyFresh »

mallard wrote:What programming language is that? One that uses the "≠" symbol (presumably the IDE makes that possible to type, or you've got a very weird keyboard) and allows (what appears to be) the passing of a block of code as a parameter to a function...
It's C. I'm using a font with ligatures.
See https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode

It's actually 2 distinct characters, but the font renders it as if it were 1.
And yes, unittest is a macro.

mallard

Post by mallard »

MintyFresh wrote: It's C. I'm using a font with ligatures.
Quite a nice looking font, although I can see that some of those ligatures might turn up in unexpected places, since the font doesn't know what programming language you're using, when you're typing a string literal, etc. I might give it a try!
goku420

Post by goku420 »

Not very interesting but just managed to port Cairo. Of course, severely crippled because I had to disable SSE2 and I have no filesystem for Cairo to load fonts.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-06-05_12-23-35.png
Screenshot_2017-06-05_12-23-35.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
MajickTek
Libera.chat IRC: MajickTek

Post by MajickTek »

goku420 wrote:Not very interesting but just managed to port Cairo. Of course, severely crippled because I had to disable SSE2 and I have no filesystem for Cairo to load fonts.
Seems interesting to me! I could never do that.
Everyone should know how to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think! -Steve Jobs

Code: Select all

while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) ); 
goku420

Post by goku420 »

MajickTek wrote:
goku420 wrote:Not very interesting but just managed to port Cairo. Of course, severely crippled because I had to disable SSE2 and I have no filesystem for Cairo to load fonts.
I have a partial tutorial here. You are free to try it out and improve upon the instructions. Two of my patches only need a small change (they should be root directory agnostic).
max
Libera.chat IRC: maxdev

Post by max »

Good job! :)

Why disable SSE though? It's literally 7 assembly instructions to enable it: https://github.com/maxdev1/ghost/blob/m ... cessor.asm
goku420

Post by goku420 »

max wrote:
Good job! :)

Why disable SSE though? It's literally 7 assembly instructions to enable it: https://github.com/maxdev1/ghost/blob/m ... cessor.asm
Ah yes, I'm a huge derp. I just realized that I was only initializing the FPU but leaving off the SSE flag because I didn't want to deal with SSE at the time. Given that I don't have a userspace yet, it should work perfectly fine though.
Kazinsal
Libera.chat IRC: Kazinsal

Post by Kazinsal »

MintyFresh wrote:
mallard wrote:What programming language is that? One that uses the "≠" symbol (presumably the IDE makes that possible to type, or you've got a very weird keyboard) and allows (what appears to be) the passing of a block of code as a parameter to a function...
It's C. I'm using a font with ligatures.

It's actually 2 distinct characters, but the font renders it as if it were 1.
And yes, unittest is a macro.

Is that VSCode you're using? If so, I'm going to go download that font and give it a whirl...
MintyFresh

Post by MintyFresh »

Kazinsal wrote:Is that VSCode you're using? If so, I'm going to go download that font and give it a whirl...
Yup. I'm very pleased with the C extension.
goku420

Post by goku420 »

Need to stop posting here... Just managed to port Catch, a C++ hosted testing framework. All I had to do was disable POSIX signals and run the tests manually and it "automagically" works. Gotta give philsquared credit for that. Now my old tests need to be rewritten.
Attachments
catch.png
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

New wallpaper and new weather widget icons:

MajickTek
Libera.chat IRC: MajickTek

Post by MajickTek »

goku420 wrote:
MajickTek wrote:
I have a partial tutorial here. You are free to try it out and improve upon the instructions. Two of my patches only need a small change (they should be root directory agnostic).
Ah, thanks! Maybe I could use that later.
Everyone should know how to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think! -Steve Jobs

Code: Select all

while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );