What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
zaval

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by zaval »

SeeSoftware wrote: I dont really have an os yet but i created something fun in the error screen :)
Yep, Snake in the error screen :D
btw its running on my old nearly broken laptop !

funfact: the error screen has more function then the os itself !
I really love seeing when people got their OS running on the real hardware. and when they include fun too. the more you are seeing things like that, the more you understand why it's so interesting!
ANT - NT-like OS for x64 and arm64.
efify - UEFI for a couple of boards (mips and arm). suspended due to lost of all the target park boards (russians destroyed our town).
pcmattman
Libera.chat IRC: miselin

Post by pcmattman »

Korona wrote:I'm not sure I understand what is going on. Is your OS running Xnest which redirects the X output to the host OS? Did you port stuff like an init system, ifup/down and the ALSA user-space to your OS? That is quite a remarkable achievement! Did you have to implement many Linux specific system calls/interfaces in order to be able to do that? :D
The host OS (Ubuntu in this case) is running Xnest, and then Pedigree is running xclock with the DISPLAY variable set appropriately.

This is the POSIX/Linux subsystem for Pedigree running a Debian live CD squashfs converted to an ext2 filesystem. The system call interface detects a Linux binary and changes its ABI slightly to support this. There's a decent number of system calls to support, but getting the semantics right is the most challenging part.
Sik

Post by Sik »

OK so: file extensions. In the file browser app I've decided to go with a list view since the resolution is simply too small to make an icon view with filenames readable enough for my taste. The problem is that file extensions become even more of a sore in this case. I could hide them, but I know there are pitfalls for that (even from a security viewpoint, though that may be overkill for Indigo), and could be an issue if related file types get the same icon (probably not in my case, but e.g. in a modern OS this could happen to things like PNG, GIF and JPEG, or MP3 and OGG, etc.).

Solution: show the file extensions but deemphasize them. Makes it much clearer where the name itself actually ends at a glance (allowing for faster eyescanning) while still keeping the extension around if you really want to know.

...and yes, there are less buttons. Ended up rewriting it from scratch with a new algorithm for the filename list because it had gotten a horrible mess. Did in one day what took me a couple of weeks before and it's also a tad easier to use and makes some other features easier (e.g. sorting filenames, if I want to add that). Yay? ._.'
zaval

Post by zaval »

file extension hiding is pure evil. :D
efify - UEFI for a couple of boards (mips and arm). suspended due to lost of all the target park boards (russians destroyed our town).
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

Why do these state machines have to be such a pain in the @$$?
500 lines of code and counting... :?
StateMachineOMG.png
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
Schol-R-LEA

Post by Schol-R-LEA »

zaval wrote:file extension hiding is pure evil. :D
While I agree, I would actually say that file extensions are evil, period. IMAO, this is the sort of thing that should be file metadata, not part of the file name.

Then again, my real view is that conventional file systems are evil, anyway, but given how Project Xanadu actually worked out, and the compromises they ended up making with the 'release' version (after 50+ years of grinding on it unsuccessfully before finally lowering their bar in order to get it 'completed' before Ted dies), I guess we're stuck with them for the foreseeable future.
Rev. First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 LCF ELF JAM POEE KoR KCO PPWMTF
Ordo OS Project
Lisp programmers tend to seem very odd to outsiders, just like anyone else who has had a religious experience they can't quite explain to others.
zaval

Post by zaval »

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
zaval wrote:file extension hiding is pure evil. :D
While I agree, I would actually say that file extensions are evil, period. IMAO, this is the sort of thing that should be file metadata, not part of the file name.

Then again, my real view is that conventional file systems are evil, anyway, but given how Project Xanadu actually worked out, and the compromises they ended up making with the 'release' version (after 50+ years of grinding on it unsuccessfully before finally lowering their bar in order to get it 'completed' before Ted dies), I guess we're stuck with them for the foreseeable future.
No, they are good. Think of them as of metadata. Metadata as attributes of a file stored somewhere in the guts of a FS aren't visible as easily as file extensions though. Thus they are more like hidden extensions. It's just a comfortable place to put some metadata in. Why to not use it if it is so convenient for the interface with user?
MajickTek
Libera.chat IRC: MajickTek

Post by MajickTek »

Screenshots, not arguments please.
Everyone should know how to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think! -Steve Jobs

Code: Select all

while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) ); 
zaval

Post by zaval »

MajickTek wrote:Screenshots, not arguments please.
=D> brilliant. if whoever should have said this here, anecdotally, this had to be you.
we all just are waiting for MajickOS screenshots.
MajickTek
Libera.chat IRC: MajickTek

Post by MajickTek »

zaval wrote:
MajickTek wrote:Screenshots, not arguments please.
=D> brilliant. if whoever should have said this here, anecdotally, this had to be you.
we all just are waiting for MajickOS screenshots.
Soon, right now I'm busy working on another project - a really big isometric simulator that is a combination of The Sims, SimCity, and has a block-based world like MineCraft. It is made in Benedikt S. Vogler's Wurfel Engine (Java), and it's gonna be quite big.

For simulation, I used the amazing library GitHub.com/Ellzord/JALSE (Elliot Zord's Java Artificial Life Simulation Engine)

The simulation part is done, it's just the graphics that are not complete.

At the moment the game is made up of 2 entire NetBeans Projects, one for Simulation and one for the game itself.
Everyone should know how to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think! -Steve Jobs

Code: Select all

while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) ); 
SpyderTL

Post by SpyderTL »

zaval, I just want to say that you have single handedly made this site NSFW for me.

:mrgreen:
Project: OZone
Source: GitHub
Current Task: LIB/OBJ file support
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott
eryjus
Libera.chat IRC: eryjus

Post by eryjus »

SpyderTL wrote:zaval, I just want to say that you have single handedly made this site NSFW for me.

ditto
Adam

The name is fitting: Century Hobby OS -- At this rate, it's gonna take me that long!
Read about my mistakes and missteps with this iteration: Journal

"Sometimes things just don't make sense until you figure them out." -- Phil Stahlheber
matt11235

Post by matt11235 »

SpyderTL wrote:zaval, I just want to say that you have single handedly made this site NSFW for me.

Luckily you can create a filter with AdBlock Plus/uBlock Origin to hide anything you don't want to see ;)
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.nimbus.InternalFrameInternalFrameTitlePaneInternalFrameTitlePaneMaximizeButtonWindowNotFocusedState
Compiler Development Forum
zaval

Post by zaval »

SpyderTL wrote: zaval, I just want to say that you have single handedly made this site NSFW for me.

i don't know what "NSFW" is, but you are welcome, anyway.
no92
Libera.chat IRC: no92

Post by no92 »

This is what NSFW means. Look at your signature.