What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Sik

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by Sik »

Huh, thanks for reminding me that I could just attach the screenshots.

Got scroll/sliderbars working (there aren't embedded scrollbars in this OS so they're pretty much the same control), and yes those mouse settings actually take effect. Also some preliminar terminal program (for the sake of it), although you can't do anything right now anyway (got some early keyboard code in, gotta see if it works).
Attachments
This terminal is a liar
This terminal is a liar
indigo_017.png (7.27 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
Scroll/silderbars now work
Scroll/silderbars now work
NunoLava1998
Libera.chat IRC: NunoLava1998

Post by NunoLava1998 »

Beacuse i am still in the beginner stages and programmed my 7-line keyboard driver perfectly...
Developing TRIODIUM OS. Or call it Dixium if you want. It doesn't matter.

https://github.com/NunoLava1998/DixiumOS
Ycep

Post by Ycep »

Nice one, Sik!
SpyderTL

Post by SpyderTL »

NunoLava1998 wrote:Beacuse i am still in the beginner stages and programmed my 7-line keyboard driver perfectly...
I'm pretty sure 99% of the users on this site have seen that exact screen. I know I have.

That's essentially what happens when you pass a null to your Print method. That's the 16-bit real mode Interrupt Vector Table, and by default, it's located at address zero.

EDIT: Actually, it's not by default... it's actually hard coded, apparently.
Last edited by SpyderTL on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Project: OZone
Source: GitHub
Current Task: LIB/OBJ file support
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott
SpyderTL

Post by SpyderTL »

Lukand wrote:Nice one, Sik!
Agreed.

How much of those graphics resources did you create by hand? Is any of that provided by the system ROM?

Just curious.
Project: OZone
Source: GitHub
Current Task: LIB/OBJ file support
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott
Sik

Post by Sik »

There's no such thing as "system ROM", the console boots straight off cartridge. (OK, later models have TMSS, but it doesn't provide any functionality and it isn't everywhere anyway) So yeah, absolutely everything you see had to be provided by myself.
jojo
Libera.chat IRC: jojo

Post by jojo »

Sik, do you have a link to a good reference on particularly the Genesis/Master Drive graphics subsystem? I'm very curious about how it operates, and I might just go ahead and start screwing with MD development here.

Also: With the strange generally sprite-and-tile-centric graphics systems late 80s/early 90s consoles generally had, I'm curious what the general outline for your draw loop is like. Are you using sprites for most of the GUI elements or are you just doing the old-fashioned 'dump everything in the framebuffer' technique? (Now that I think of it, that second thing probably isn't even an option)
Sik

Post by Sik »

jojo wrote:Sik, do you have a link to a good reference on particularly the Genesis/Master Drive graphics subsystem? I'm very curious about how it operates, and I might just go ahead and start screwing with MD development here.
Eh, look up GenesisSoftwareManual.pdf. Yeah it has some errors, but a lot of the homebrew documentation has just as many errors too. Probably the biggest downside from that PDF is that for whatever reason they never explained how the joypad works o_O (thankfully that isn't hard to find)

Quick summary though (far from complete):
  • 64KB of video memory (holds tiles and most tables)
  • 8×8 tiles (32 bytes each)
  • 4 palettes of 15 colors each
  • 2 scrolling tilemaps
  • Up to 80 sprites (from 8×8 to 32×32)
jojo wrote:Also: With the strange generally sprite-and-tile-centric graphics systems late 80s/early 90s consoles generally had, I'm curious what the general outline for your draw loop is like. Are you using sprites for most of the GUI elements or are you just doing the old-fashioned 'dump everything in the framebuffer' technique?
Actually using the tilemaps for most of the GUI elements (although this means widgets are tile-aligned for the most part). The cursor is a sprite, as well as the marker thingy in scrollbars (and there will be a bunch of other stuff too). Some programs may need to add their own sprites too later.
jojo wrote:(Now that I think of it, that second thing probably isn't even an option)
Nah, there's enough room for a fullscreen framebuffer (320 × 224 × ½B = 35KB, a bit over half the video memory), the problem is that it's horribly slow to do things that way =P (that it wouldn't be linear isn't helping, you must use tiles for this) See just about every 3D game on the system. Sega CD games (primarily Core's) have it easier since they can render using the add-on's own scaler, but they still won't reach full speed because there isn't enough bandwidth to transfer the full screen in one frame.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

xOS can now load programs from disk.
hello.exe and draw.exe are two different programs, each in its own binary. :)
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
osdever

Post by osdever »

My OS is a pure sh*t compared to your one! ](*,)
Developing U365.
Source:
only testing: http://gitlab.com/bps-projs/U365/tree/testing

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

catnikita255 wrote:My OS is a pure sh*t compared to your one! ](*,)
You can't say that just because my OS is good looking to the eye; most of the things under the hood are just satisfactory and not actually good.
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
osdever

Post by osdever »

I didn't said about visual look, I know that it's definitely can't be used to measure OS advancemend (bad, really bad sentence!). You can at least run programs and you don't have that terrible memory corruption bug that freaks me out everytime and stops me for making lots of things.
Developing U365.
Source:

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

Python 3.6, with support for dynamic loading for C modules, is now a relatively stable addition to my OS. I've not yet fully integrated it into my automated toolchain installation, but it builds with very little patching.

(Note that the `math` and `json` modules load C dependencies. It's more obvious with some debugging enabled.)

Most of the standard library works, but there are some missing features like sockets.

My plan for Python is to write wrappers for my windowing libraries and write a UI toolkit and general applications in it. Despite its deficiencies in speed, Python has always been one of my favorite languages.
osdever

Post by osdever »

Klange, you are a master.
Developing U365.
Source:

Octacone

Post by Octacone »

Basic OS Update 1.7.2:
+VGA driver
+Switched to 90x60 text mode
+Massive mega TTY update, everything has been rewritten from scratch, all new functions, everything is 100% new and more functional
+Blinking text mode cursor
+Text mode mouse (not speaking about the cursor) (early stages)
+Event logger, (currently RAM only, not hard drive integration, but that will be added as soon as possible)
+Console arguments, working echo implementation (high resolution mode only, at the moment)
+Started working on some driver abstractions
+Bug-fixes, all the things I forgot to mention

What do you guys think? Is is any good?
Attachments
BasicOSUpdateTUI.png
BasicOSUpdateTUI.png (6.77 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader