What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Octacone

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by Octacone »

catnikita255 wrote:BTW octacone's OS is really better than your or mine.
Basic OS is not that amazing. Thanks! :)

Also @sortie does not post often, but when he does he blows us all away. Mind-blowing!
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
pdurlej

Post by pdurlej »

Another two Nameless OS UI themes:

Ycep

Post by Ycep »

I think that third-party themes would be good idea for you, Peter.
Primis
Libera.chat IRC: Primis

Post by Primis »

sortie wrote: Vim is cool and all, but it became obvious I needed a port of the standard editor:
About time Sortie! I can finally use your OS because it has glorious ed!
"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
Ycep

Post by Ycep »

"No third party editors" - Sortie
If you would publish programmer specification for Sortix OS maybe somebody could port & compile their third party editor themselves, and in such way you would never need to port something third-party yourself.
sortie
Libera.chat IRC: sortie

Post by sortie »

Lukand wrote:"No third party editors" - Sortie
If you would publish programmer specification for Sortix OS maybe somebody could port & compile their third party editor themselves, and in such way you would never need to port something third-party yourself.
I suggest you actually read about my OS. That sentence did not mean third party software is prohibited, but just that so far no editors had been ported. The programmer specification is the C standard as of 2011 and the international POSIX 2008 standard with a bunch of de-facto extensions from existing systems and a bit of my own. All of the source code (including ports) is available and you can study the libc headers to see what it provides. All this stuff is well documented and Unix users have manual pages that mostly apply as well. In other words, it's totally doable to develop for my system and everybody can port stuff. But despite all this, people haven't ported much, except a few minor ports recently. The ed port was contributed, but that was essentially just packaging up a couple of C source files from OpenBSD. I'd happily welcome help with ports. It's a bit difficult though. If one has completed Linux From Scratch, and wants something harder, why not contribute to my ports system?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Really wanted to hack on adding something interesting, but I ended up only fixing regressions. Anyway, I don't think I posted a screenshot of git when I first got it working (partially) and now that is working again, so I guess I can just post this. Partially means that the basic operations within a repo are working (like add/commit/show/diff/branch/checkout/etc.), but things like clone aren't working yet. tyndur doesn't have a few Unix concepts (like fork), so this is kind of expected and just needs some more work.

(Hm, and I think there is still a bug with the date there...)
Attachments
tyndur_local_git.png
Developer of tyndur - community OS of Lowlevel (German)
Roman

Post by Roman »

Didn't post here for a long time...

Here's a shot of the boot loader (or more correctly the Linux kernel booted by it) I'm currently working on.

http://imgur.com/KJnXqWe

At the moment I have some basic features like VFS, formatted output and keyboard input. My todo list includes graphics output, menu config file parsing and, of course, designing and implementing my kernel boot protocol.
"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
osdever

Post by osdever »

Roman wrote:Didn't post here for a long time...

Here's a shot of the boot loader (or more correctly the Linux kernel booted by it) I'm currently working on.

At the moment I have some basic features like VFS, formatted output and keyboard input. My todo list includes graphics output, menu config file parsing and, of course, designing and implementing my kernel boot protocol.
Omg, Roman, you've did amazing work, at least for me.
Developing U365.
Source:
only testing: http://gitlab.com/bps-projs/U365/tree/testing

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
matt11235

Post by matt11235 »

Using the EFI Runtime Services to get the current time
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.nimbus.InternalFrameInternalFrameTitlePaneInternalFrameTitlePaneMaximizeButtonWindowNotFocusedState
Compiler Development Forum
issamabd
Libera.chat IRC: issamabd

Post by issamabd »

zenzizenzicube wrote:Image

Using the EFI Runtime Services to get the current time
zenzizenzicube, I like your OS. It looks like my TimerOS's first version.

If you want, you can ameliorate your OS by implementing your own timer interrupt and use it to print and update the clock
every timer tick (in protected mode). Something like this: http://issamabd.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... timeor.png

Good luck.
"try to learn something about everything and everything about something"
My personal website: http://issamabd.com
Ycep

Post by Ycep »

Roman wrote:Didn't post here for a long time...

Cool! Wouldn't be a nice idea to create your own bootloader for such an advanced operating system?
They probably deletted my old post since of my short essay "Russians are always good at making stuff".
mariuszp

Post by mariuszp »

A partition editor for the in-progress installer for my OS, Glidix.
VirtualBox_Loader Test_13_11_2016_12_47_52.png
Sik

Post by Sik »

Finally stopped being lazy enough to implement some basic filesystem (both building the image and adding minimal driver code). So now this thing can execute new programs on the fly instead of being hardcoded. Since the operating system is single tasking (though I may make programs remember their state), "quitting" a program merely loads the default one instead (i.e. the desktop).

Needless to say, that calculator doesn't work. The buttons can be pressed though (all widgets implemented so far actually do their thing).

Octacone

Post by Octacone »

This topic is loosing its sense because of these ongoing discussions.

Basic OS Small Update:
-Added Blue Screen of Death System
-Capable of: dumping registers, showing your the error code and other important things such as what has happened to your OS
Attachments
BSOD_System_BasicOS.png
BSOD_System_BasicOS.png (6.79 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader