What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
tsdnz

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by tsdnz »

Hi, just looked at your memory allocator, does it work?

Looks like if you allocate a full page of 64 bytes, then free every second one [n * 2], then allocate 640 bytes it will allow this.

Ali
catnikita255 wrote:
Sik wrote:You could always just use Unicode: U+1F5D5 (minimize) U+1F5D6 (maximize) U+1F5D7 (restore) U+1F5D9 (close) *runs*
Also fix your forum, I tried embedding the characters directly but it threw me an error =/

Anyway, I should stop being lazy:

No, they don't do anything yet.
Wow, I didn't known about characters.
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

Ch4ozz wrote:
octacone wrote:
TriggeredByIceOS.png
Totally triggered!!!

Apart from that =D> . Cool looking interface, I wish I had something as cool.
You dont like my awesome window controls? :(
Nah, your awesome window controls are awesome. But that alignment doe... It hurts... (exit button, minimize button, maximize button alignment)
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
osdever

Post by osdever »

octacone wrote:
Ch4ozz wrote:
octacone wrote:
TriggeredByIceOS.png
Totally triggered!!!

Apart from that =D> . Cool looking interface, I wish I had something as cool.
You dont like my awesome window controls? :(
Nah, your awesome window controls are awesome. But that alignment doe... It hurts... (exit button, minimize button, maximize button alignment)
He needs to move them down to max 2-3 px, and this will be fully awesome :D
Developing U365.
Source:
only testing: http://gitlab.com/bps-projs/U365/tree/testing

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
Ycep

Post by Ycep »

Sik wrote:You could always just use Unicode: U+1F5D5 (minimize) U+1F5D6 (maximize) U+1F5D7 (restore) U+1F5D9 (close) *runs*
Also fix your forum, I tried embedding the characters directly but it threw me an error =/

Anyway, I should stop being lazy:

No, they don't do anything yet.
I asked you, is that composite display?
osdever

Post by osdever »

First step to the networking! Set MAC address in QEMU options and my OS got it from Realtek RTL8139 registers.

Code: Select all

void rtl8139_init()
{
	uint8_t bus = 0, slot = 0, function = 0;
	pci_find_device(RTL8139_VEN, RTL8139_DEV, &bus, &slot, &function);
	if(bus == 0xFF && slot == 0xFF && function == 0xFF)
	{
		printk("rtl8139: no NIC found!");
		return;
	}
	uint8_t hdrtype = pci_get_hdr_type(bus, slot, function);
	uint8_t bartype = 0;
	uint16_t iobase = (uint32_t) pci_get_bar(hdrtype, bus, slot, function, 0, &bartype);
	uint8_t mac[6] = {};
	for(int i=0; i<6; i++)
		mac[i] = inb(iobase + i);
	printk("rtl8139: MAC address is %02X:%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X",
		mac[0], mac[1], mac[2], mac[3], mac[4], mac[5]);

}
Attachments
Screenshot_20161012_202052.png
Screenshot_20161012_202052.png (11.1 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Developing U365.
Source:

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

catnikita255, you're truly a prodigy. You've so much in a short period of time that I never can. (Perhaps, I have got my race to blame?)
osdever

Post by osdever »

Muazzam wrote:catnikita255, you're truly a prodigy. You've so much in a short period of time that I never can. (Perhaps, I have got my race to blame?)
Nope, this is only MAC address, I don't initialize the card or someting, only 10-15 lines.
Developing U365.
Source:

Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

catnikita255 wrote:
Muazzam wrote:catnikita255, you're truly a prodigy. You've so much in a short period of time that I never can. (Perhaps, I have got my race to blame?)
Nope, this is only MAC address, I don't initialize the card or someting, only 10-15 lines.
Not only that. I've seen your source code on GitLab. And you've done really well, especially considering your age.
Sik

Post by Sik »

Lukand wrote:I asked you, is that composite display?
Just an emulator filter (because I can't be bothered to upscale native size screenshots on my own). Remember I'm not making a PC OS, completely different beast of hardware here (and honestly much easier to program for, too)

Added mouse support since then (meaning now the cursor can be used with a much more competent device), also the cursor now turns into a hand when it hovers over a button. Once while designing the CSS for a page I noticed we do this for interactive stuff (like links) and made me wonder why the rest of the UI doesn't do the same when it's just as useful there. In this OS you'll see an arrow only if the cursor is sitting over nothing (or something inert like a lone label).
zesterer
Libera.chat IRC: zesterer

Post by zesterer »

I wrote a kernel panic screen in assembly and I'm quite pleased with it. It's not much, but it's my first "big" thing I've written in assembly without the help of any tutorials or extra documentation.
Thoth's kernel panic screen
Thoth's kernel panic screen
Screenshot from 2016-10-13 21-08-46.png (10.81 KiB) Viewed 3787 times
To be honest, it's probably the prettiest thing my OS has yet.
Current developing Tupai, a monolithic x86 operating system
http://zesterer.homenet.org/projects.shtml
osdever

Post by osdever »

Muazzam wrote:
catnikita255 wrote:
Not only that. I've seen your source code on GitLab. And you've done really well, especially considering your age.
Nice to read it! Also this isn't race, I just have lots of free time (5th grade, it's easy as ....) and I utilize almost all of it to OS.
Developing U365.
Source:

jojo
Libera.chat IRC: jojo

Post by jojo »

Thought I'd pipe in here, because I never have and yet I'm the guy writing a GUI tutorial.

Was posted elsewhere (and technically this isn't how P5 looks since this has never actually been run on the kernel in place of the existing iteration of my GUI toolkit), but I took the 'finished' code from my Windowing Systems by Example series and updated the look 'n' feel to match the style I've been using for P5:

I know that flat colors and alpha blending are all the rage around these parts these days, which is contemporary and cool. But for some reason I want mine to give off all of the chunky, ugly retro nostalgia vibes of OpenVMS and Windows 2000 all mushed together into one terrifying visual abortion.

I think I nailed it.
Kazinsal
Libera.chat IRC: Kazinsal

Post by Kazinsal »

Needs more TrueType fonts rendered without anti-aliasing! :)

Good stuff. Now I really need to play osdev catch-up...
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

Gosh, I sure do love screenshots of hobby operating systems.

For a while now, I've only been shipping wallpapers in my OS that I took myself. After sitting with a picture of Yosemite for a while, I went out and took a new wallpaper photo over the weekend. It's rather cliché, but I think it works quite nicely! Rode my new motorcycle all the way to Fujiyoshida (from central Tokyo), took a photo with my DSLR, the battery died (uh, oops, I knew I forgot to charge something...), and the clouds were in the way of the cap of Fuji, so I waited until things cleared up a bit and took another photo with my phone, and Bob's your uncle.

Unfortunately, there's not much to show of my current ongoing projects, as they're mostly behind-the-scenes stuff, but I'll do what I can to get this thread back on track...
jojo
Libera.chat IRC: jojo

Post by jojo »

Rode my new motorcycle all the way to Fujiyoshida (from central Tokyo), took a photo with my DSLR, the battery died (uh, oops, I knew I forgot to charge something...), and the clouds were in the way of the cap of Fuji, so I waited until things cleared up a bit and took another photo with my phone, and Bob's your uncle.
Nice shot, klange, I miss the Japanese countryside. What kind of bike?