What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Octacone

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by Octacone »

SeanMc wrote:
alexfru wrote:
SeanMc wrote:I'm still getting the hang of ASM x86. I might be getting too hot for my experience. :P
Yay! :)
I accidentally threw away the source code, though. :(
:shock: :o :|
What? You accidentally deleted your own source code?
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
sernico
Libera.chat IRC: sernico

Post by sernico »

Use a recovery software, this works only if you deleted all with recycle bin of Windows
mariuszp

Post by mariuszp »

sernico wrote:Use a recovery software, this works only if you deleted all with recycle bin of Windows
recovery software can recover files regardless of how they were deleted, it doesn't have anything to do with the recycle bin.

it basically finds sectors that were freed but not overwritten, in hopes of recovering some files information.
onlyonemac

Post by onlyonemac »

It might be worth adding that recovery software, depending on the method used, doesn't always work too well with text files (such as software source code). If it recovers the files using left-over structures in the filesystem, it will know where the file is supposed to be and how long it is, but as most modern filesystems overwrite these structures for security reasons modern recovery software tends to depend more on the structure of the file to determine where it starts and ends (this only works if the file isn't fragmented, of course). This doesn't work with text files because, unlike common office and media file formats (for example), they don't have standard headers/footers/blocks/size fields that can be used as a "signature" to locate the file and obtain information about it.
When you start writing an OS you do the minimum possible to get the x86 processor in a usable state, then you try to get as far away from it as possible.

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing
mariuszp

Post by mariuszp »

onlyonemac wrote:It might be worth adding that recovery software, depending on the method used, doesn't always work too well with text files (such as software source code). If it recovers the files using left-over structures in the filesystem, it will know where the file is supposed to be and how long it is, but as most modern filesystems overwrite these structures for security reasons modern recovery software tends to depend more on the structure of the file to determine where it starts and ends (this only works if the file isn't fragmented, of course). This doesn't work with text files because, unlike common office and media file formats (for example), they don't have standard headers/footers/blocks/size fields that can be used as a "signature" to locate the file and obtain information about it.
Not *quite* true for source code; C files, for example, will have a bunch of "#include" near the beginning most of the time.
onlyonemac

Post by onlyonemac »

mariuszp wrote:Not *quite* true for source code; C files, for example, will have a bunch of "#include" near the beginning most of the time.
Although that's still somewhat "fuzzier" than locating a true header and using the structure of the file to determine its size.
When you start writing an OS you do the minimum possible to get the x86 processor in a usable state, then you try to get as far away from it as possible.

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

Basic OS Update:
1.Finally finally finally managed to finish the backspace, was having an awful bug. :D
2.Finished command framework, added help lists and descriptors.
3.Finished scrolling, I decided to clear the entire screen.
4.Implemented couple of commands.
5.As you can see my PIT and uptime counter both work.
6.Conclusion: terminal framework is finally "finished" and ready to be called stable.
Attachments
TerminalFrameworkFinishedBasicOS.png
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
ExeTwezz
Libera.chat IRC: exetwezz

Post by ExeTwezz »

octacone wrote:Basic OS Update:
1.Finally finally finally managed to finish the backspace, was having an awful bug. :D
6.Conclusion: terminal framework is finally "finished" and ready to be called stable.
Finally, someone has given his OS the same name as I have =D>, but it was centuries ago.
Techel

Post by Techel »

Well, calling it Basic OS is very original :D
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

ExeTwezz wrote:
octacone wrote:Basic OS Update:
Finally, someone has given his OS the same name as I have =D>, but it was centuries ago.
Techel wrote:Well, calling it Basic OS is very original :D
:D :D :D xD
matt11235

Post by matt11235 »

octacone wrote:1.Finally finally finally managed to finish the backspace, was having an awful bug. :D
Backspace? You mean you make mistakes? [-X
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.nimbus.InternalFrameInternalFrameTitlePaneInternalFrameTitlePaneMaximizeButtonWindowNotFocusedState
Compiler Development Forum
f2

Post by f2 »

Here is Obsidian OS with a new window design. I have also removed almost all graphical applications, for the moment.
I'm focusing now on OS stability and I'm also trying to make the OS much simpler. GUI apps will be re-added later.
Obsidian OS - Command Processor
Obsidian OS - Command Processor
"Open source seems to embrace the dark side of human nature." - Ville Turjanmaa
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

zenzizenzicube wrote:
octacone wrote:1.Finally finally finally managed to finish the backspace, was having an awful bug. :D
Backspace? You mean you make mistakes? [-X
Yeah, it was my fault. :^o
Also why does the font seem so small?
Last edited by Octacone on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

f2 wrote:Here is Obsidian OS with a new window design. I have also removed almost all graphical applications, for the moment.
I'm focusing now on OS stability and I'm also trying to make the OS much simpler. GUI apps will be re-added later.
[attachment=0]-snip-
I like this one better. Stick with it.
f2

Post by f2 »

octacone wrote:
f2 wrote:Here is Obsidian OS with a new window design. I have also removed almost all graphical applications, for the moment.
[attachment=0]-snip-
I like this one better. Stick with it.
Yeah, me too. It remind me twm, an old window manager on Unix/Linux:
"Open source seems to embrace the dark side of human nature." - Ville Turjanmaa