What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
BrightLight

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by BrightLight »

max wrote:Thanks Ch4ozz.
zenzizenzicube wrote:What's going on in your test window?
That's just an example from the cairo page; it's what I used for testing my client-drawn canvas implementation. :)
Was porting cairo hard? I mean, does it have many dependencies? What exactly does it depend on?
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
matt11235

Post by matt11235 »

omarrx024 wrote:
max wrote:Thanks Ch4ozz.
zenzizenzicube wrote:What's going on in your test window?
That's just an example from the cairo page; it's what I used for testing my client-drawn canvas implementation. :)
Was porting cairo hard? I mean, does it have many dependencies? What exactly does it depend on?
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... cairo.html

Looks like it depends on libpng and pixman.
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.nimbus.InternalFrameInternalFrameTitlePaneInternalFrameTitlePaneMaximizeButtonWindowNotFocusedState
Compiler Development Forum
max
Libera.chat IRC: maxdev

Post by max »

omarrx024 wrote:Was porting cairo hard? I mean, does it have many dependencies? What exactly does it depend on?
You'll need libpng and libz, and freetype as font backend. For this you need quite a bunch of standard C functions, but if you have those it's not hard to port.
Ycep

Post by Ycep »

omarrx024 wrote:I love tweaking my window manager... and I love posting in this thread even more, lol.
Holy cookies! That looks awesome! I believe it's awesome below the shell, isn't it? :wink:
I just keep asking myself how are some cold-blood guys create perfect OSes in assembly and being comfortable in coding it in that language...
max wrote:After fixing some bugs i finally had time to improve my UI design :)
I don't want to spam on this thread about your OS anymore, but just know that I'm usually checking updates for your OS every time I don't know what to do.
Sehr gutes betriebssystem, Max. Wurde ihnen ein A+ in Grafischen benutzeroberflachen. (Hope I spelled all of those right...)
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Lukand wrote:
omarrx024 wrote:I love tweaking my window manager... and I love posting in this thread even more, lol.
Holy cookies! That looks awesome! I believe it's awesome below the shell, isn't it? :wink:
I just keep asking myself how are some cold-blood guys create perfect OSes in assembly and being comfortable in coding it in that language...
lol, it's the only language I'm comfortable with, TBH. Below the shell, my OS is not perfect, it's missing lots and lots of features. I don't have multiprocessing, or even a file system or a driver interface. But the design of everything is planned, and is just waiting to be implemented. :)
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
f2

Post by f2 »

I'm reimplementing some old apps and features from my previous OS project into the new one...
Obsidian OS - File Explorer
Obsidian OS - File Explorer
"Open source seems to embrace the dark side of human nature." - Ville Turjanmaa
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

f2 wrote:I'm reimplementing some old apps and features from my previous OS project into the new one...
Do you have a site/repository/demo build? I'm interested in this. Looks really nice. =D>
f2

Post by f2 »

omarrx024 wrote:
f2 wrote:I'm reimplementing some old apps and features from my previous OS project into the new one...
Do you have a site/repository/demo build? I'm interested in this. Looks really nice. =D>
I don"t have website or repository and I don't plan to make one. I don't have much free time and the OS is stil progressing slowly.
Making a demo build is possible but I have a few things to add/fix first.
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

f2 wrote:
omarrx024 wrote:
I don"t have website or repository and I don't plan to make one. I don't have much free time and the OS is stil progressing slowly.
Making a demo build is possible but I have a few things to add/fix first.
You can just give us an ISO. We can try it out and report you all the bugs bugs we find. Testing finished product just feels empty, real charm is hidden inside unfinished products.
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
f2

Post by f2 »

octacone wrote: You can just give us an ISO. We can try it out and report you all the bugs bugs we find. Testing finished product just feels empty, real charm is hidden inside unfinished products.
The changes I have to provide are under the hood, and it's better for me to consolidate the OS loader and the kernel to prevent triple faults and strange operations. When it's done, I can share a hard disk image of the OS with its GUI bugs :D (no ISO atm, the OS can't access ATAPI devices using AHCI).
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

f2 wrote: The changes I have to provide are under the hood, and it's better for me to consolidate the OS loader and the kernel to prevent triple faults and strange operations. When it's done, I can share a hard disk image of the OS with its GUI bugs :D (no ISO atm, the OS can't access ATAPI devices using AHCI).
Okay, cool. :D

Basic OS 1.0 Update:
1.Started working on my graphical terminal, 5th day already.
2.Finally finalized paging. Linear frame buffer works when paging is enabled, linear frame buffer gets mapped and read from Bar 0.
3.Implemented simple PCI driver.
4.Finalized text drawing, now operating system keeps track of the cursor. (terminal text cursor position)
5.Implemented handy little event log "application".
6.Implemented serial port driver. Now I can output to the Linux terminal directly. Finally I can enjoy debugging. :)
7.Started working on "Etnox Compositor". (just playing around for now)
Attachments
BasicOSGraphicalTerminal.png
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

octacone wrote:Basic OS 1.0 Update
I like your color scheme. What's the screen resolution in QEMU?
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

omarrx024 wrote:
octacone wrote:Basic OS 1.0 Update
I like your color scheme. What's the screen resolution in QEMU?
Glad you like it. :D Spent like 2 hours trying to figure it out. Current theme just seems to be it.
It is 1600x900x32, I have 1920x1080x32 monitor. After all I decided to give user an option to choose any resolution he wants. My current implementation supports any resolution.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

octacone wrote:After all I decided to give user an option to choose any resolution he wants. My current implementation supports any resolution.
That's how it should be. My OS is entirely resolution-independent as well. I also plan to let the user choose resolution he wants, as long it is supported by the BIOS/monitor combination. EDID is too much work for something that means so little, and I plan to use the same approach used by Windows (Click OK within 15 seconds to confirm current screen resolution.)
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

omarrx024 wrote:
octacone wrote:After all I decided to give user an option to choose any resolution he wants. My current implementation supports any resolution.
That's how it should be. My OS is entirely resolution-independent as well. I also plan to let the user choose resolution he wants, as long it is supported by the BIOS/monitor combination. EDID is too much work for something that means so little, and I plan to use the same approach used by Windows (Click OK within 15 seconds to confirm current screen resolution.)
That seems fair. I don't have a V8086 monitor at the moment. I am currently using BGA for everything, but that does not matter since frame buffers are fully compatible.
Window did a nice job of managing all those resolution and different settings.
Last edited by Octacone on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.