What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
osdever

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by osdever »

ATA driver and some VFS corruption.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2016-07-02 00-57-42.png
Developing U365.
Source:
only testing: http://gitlab.com/bps-projs/U365/tree/testing

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Preemtive multitasking, after hours and hours of debugging.
The scheduler is not complete yet; it doesn't save the state of a task before switching to the next task, and so always starts execution at the beginning. I have all night to finish it.
Attachments
tasking.png
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
cheapskate01

Post by cheapskate01 »

omarrx024 wrote:Preemtive multitasking, after hours and hours of debugging.
The scheduler is not complete yet; it doesn't save the state of a task before switching to the next task, and so always starts execution at the beginning. I have all night to finish it.
Wow, and here I thought you'd be working in assembly forever! What made you decide to move to C?
"That I'm in forum signatures is just a sign the invasion of sortie is nearing completion. Soon you'll all have to become me to defeat me." ~ Sortie
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

cheapskate01 wrote:Wow, and here I thought you'd be working in assembly forever! What made you decide to move to C?
When I decided to create an x86 and x86_64 OS mostly from the same code. Porting my OS to x86_64 now would only require changes in the initialization and paging code.
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
cheapskate01

Post by cheapskate01 »

omarrx024 wrote:
cheapskate01 wrote:Wow, and here I thought you'd be working in assembly forever! What made you decide to move to C?
When I decided to create an x86 and x86_64 OS mostly from the same code. Porting my OS to x86_64 now would only require changes in the initialization and paging code.
Ah, alright then, best wishes
"That I'm in forum signatures is just a sign the invasion of sortie is nearing completion. Soon you'll all have to become me to defeat me." ~ Sortie
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

cheapskate01 wrote:Ah, alright then, best wishes
Thanks!
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

Basic 320x200 VGA driver. With 256 (64) colors.
Drawing test: basic "desktop" with filled and outlined rectangles + z order.
Attachments
QEMU_008.png
QEMU_008.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
cheapskate01

Post by cheapskate01 »

thehardcoreOS wrote:Basic 320x200 VGA driver. With 256 (64) colors.
I wish I was any good at this
I'm jealous.
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

cheapskate01 wrote:
I'm jealous.
Lol really? :D It isn't that good. :P
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader
DeezRamChips

Post by DeezRamChips »

It's funny to see everybody with a nice GFX gui and I'm not even capable of changing the video mode toVESA with grub :cry:
cheapskate01

Post by cheapskate01 »

thehardcoreOS wrote:
cheapskate01 wrote:
I'm jealous.
Lol really? :D It isn't that good. :P
Yeah. I mean, I can change video modes, but thats about all. I've been trying to tackle basic stuff like gdt idt and keystrokes. at least you have a good system laid by now.
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

cheapskate01 wrote: Yeah. I mean, I can change video modes, but thats about all. I've been trying to tackle basic stuff like gdt idt and keystrokes. at least you have a good system laid by now.
Yeah, you need to have some foundations. For beginners GDT and IDT aren't easy task. You need to make your OS step by step, you can not have graphics mode right after you start. But once you get something to work, you get an amazing feel of happiness and satisfaction, you know you've achieved something.
DeezRamChips

Post by DeezRamChips »

thehardcoreOS wrote:
cheapskate01 wrote: Yeah. I mean, I can change video modes, but thats about all. I've been trying to tackle basic stuff like gdt idt and keystrokes. at least you have a good system laid by now.
Yeah, you need to have some foundations. For beginners GDT and IDT aren't easy task. You need to make your OS step by step, you can not have graphics mode right after you start. But once you get something to work, you get an amazing feel of happiness and satisfaction, you know you've achieved something.
I agree, in my last OS, I use the code of someone eslse for the GDT and IDT, but now I'm making my own :)

But it's realy not eazy.

do you know a good tutorial for IDT and GDT (in c if possible)
Octacone

Post by Octacone »

DeezRamChips wrote:
thehardcoreOS wrote:
I agree, in my last OS, I use the code of someone eslse for the GDT and IDT, but now I'm making my own :)

But it's realy not eazy.

do you know a good tutorial for IDT and GDT (in c if possible)
Yeah, there are couple of good ones on YouTube.
dseller

Post by dseller »

<snip>
Last edited by dseller on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.