Networking

All about the OSDev Wiki. Discussions about the organization and general structure of articles and how to use the wiki. Request changes here if you don't know how to use the wiki.
lpoulain

Networking

Post by lpoulain »

I have significantly updated the Network Stack section of the wiki:

http://wiki.osdev.org/Network_Stack

Comments and questions more than welcome.
max
Libera.chat IRC: maxdev

Re: Networking

Post by max »

Awesome work!! Will take a deeper look at it soon, thanks for the contribution. :)
mariuszp

Post by mariuszp »

You have made a mistake on the TCP connection part, which I have now fixed. It's the server that sends SYN+ACK in response to the client's SYN, and the client then replies ACK. It does not send another SYN.
SpyderTL

Post by SpyderTL »

I also removed the statement that said that the initial SYN/ACK packets can not contain a payload, and added a note that it is technically possible, just not very common.
Project: OZone
Source: GitHub
Current Task: LIB/OBJ file support
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott
lpoulain

Post by lpoulain »

Thank you mariuszp and SpyderTL for proofreading this.
SpyderTL

Post by SpyderTL »

I just now noticed that there are no "Network" links on the Expanded Main Page. On the Categorized Main Page, the OS Theory category is being shown, which contains all of the network stuff, but that category is not on the Expanded Main Page.

Can one of the admins add this category to the Expanded Main Page?

Thx.
Project: OZone
Source: GitHub
Current Task: LIB/OBJ file support
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott
Ycep

Post by Ycep »

That's cool but; 70% of articles on the wiki are marked as "stubs" and "in work" in long year row. Everyone shall stop writing new articles and start improving unfinished articles.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Lukand wrote:That's cool but; 70% of articles on the wiki are marked as "stubs" and "in work" in long year row. Everyone shall stop writing new articles and start improving unfinished articles.
Why don't you start? Improve an article about a concept you know.
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.