What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
BrightLight

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by BrightLight »

mallard: Are those windows movable?
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
mallard

Post by mallard »

omarrx024 wrote:mallard: Are those windows movable?
Yep. The WM supports both full-window and outline drag modes (although the preference is hard-coded at the moment). I spend ages working on the code to minimize the amount re-drawing, so it's quite fast; full-window drag outperforms Windows on the same emulator (in standard VGA mode).
Kazinsal
Libera.chat IRC: Kazinsal

Post by Kazinsal »

Not *actually* my OS, but part of my toolchain and my OS's documentation. The build script for my OS's manual uses a series of files to recurse through directories containing the different chapters, concatenating together the Markdown-formatted source text for each chapter after a dynamically-generated and numbered chapter title, and placing each chapter in a folder together to be loaded into a program that renders the Markdown out as HTML/CSS formatting and then to PDF at 8.5x11" (US Letter size, also common for larger hardcovers).

An excerpt of what the resulting PDF of a chapter (in this case, page two of chapter two) looks like. Bonus internet cookie for anyone who knows what my OS's configuration tool is inspired by ;)
cheapskate01

Post by cheapskate01 »

It's lowlevel, written in C and doesn't wrtie integers. It's only function is writestring, but i'm proud of it because I didn't follow no stinkin tutorial. And I am proud.
Last edited by cheapskate01 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That I'm in forum signatures is just a sign the invasion of sortie is nearing completion. Soon you'll all have to become me to defeat me." ~ Sortie
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Throwback! This is a pretty old OS. I think it is my first OS that actually got to a UI.
The UI was inspired by MikeOS, but all code was mine.
Attachments
cmd.png
cmd.png (3.55 KiB) Viewed 7653 times
ui.png
ui.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 7653 times
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
cheapskate01

Post by cheapskate01 »

omarrx024 wrote:Throwback! This is a pretty old OS. I think it is my first OS that actually got to a UI.
The UI was inspired by MikeOS, but all code was mine.
Lol

Google searched NeptuneOS and there were three different operating systems, then i went to Brokenthornn's website and found a fourth neptune. There have to be like 5 neptunes out there :mrgreen:
"That I'm in forum signatures is just a sign the invasion of sortie is nearing completion. Soon you'll all have to become me to defeat me." ~ Sortie
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

cheapskate01 wrote:then i went to Brokenthornn's website and found a fourth neptune.
I think BrokenThorn's Neptune OS is a dead project and the site is also dead. It hasn't had any activity in forever.
cheapskate01

Post by cheapskate01 »

omarrx024 wrote:
cheapskate01 wrote:then i went to Brokenthornn's website and found a fourth neptune.
I think BrokenThorn's Neptune OS is a dead project and the site is also dead. It hasn't had any activity in forever.
I know (Copyright 2009) Lol. But it was still an OS. It doesn't matter, just pointing it out.

I've been terrible with OSDEV this far, so to mend my ways, I'm writing a new kernel FROM SCRATCH not following any tutorials, just wiki pages. This way I can learn for myself rather than copy someone else's code. I'll call the kernel Brindille. I'll post every last screen :twisted:

Don't judge me
CWood

Post by CWood »

Kazinsal wrote:Bonus internet cookie for anyone who knows what my OS's configuration tool is inspired by ;)
A poor sysadmin is me if I don't recognise Cisco IOS on sight! And yeah, hi guys, I'm not dead, just got a degree to worry about now, so not much time for OSDev any more :) still lurking though.
makerimages
Libera.chat IRC: Makerimages

Post by makerimages »

Kazinsal wrote: ... placing each chapter in a folder together to be loaded into a program that renders the Markdown out as HTML/CSS formatting and then to PDF at 8.5x11" (US Letter size, also common for larger hardcovers).
What program would that be? Seems to generate pretty looking PDF's.
Working on SinusOS.
neon

Post by neon »

Not dead - just kept getting pushed back. We aren't currently releasing public updates on Neptune but are working to push chapter 25 which covers a lot of material (they are different projects.) We hope to have it released sometime in the next month. We are also working on a new version of the site.

Currently Neptune only exists in our private repository and private server. It is undergoing a rewrite to support EFI and more sophisticated memory management. We do not release any information on it since we do not believe it would be of any use within its current state. We may release it on our public SVN again when it becomes stable.

For those interested, chapter 25 covers process state management, IPC, concurrent programming, shared resources, scheduling algorithms, and SMP. The demo may also be a fun little graphical one if we can get it approved.
OS Development Series | Wiki | os | ncc
char c[2]={"\x90\xC3"};int main(){void(*f)()=(void(__cdecl*)(void))(void*)&c;f();}
cheapskate01

Post by cheapskate01 »

neon wrote:
Not dead - just kept getting pushed back. We aren't currently releasing public updates on Neptune but are working to push chapter 25 which covers a lot of material (they are different projects.) We hope to have it released sometime in the next month. We are also working on a new version of the site.

Currently Neptune only exists in our private repository and private server. It is undergoing a rewrite to support EFI and more sophisticated memory management. We do not release any information on it since we do not believe it would be of any use within its current state. We may release it on our public SVN again when it becomes stable.

For those interested, chapter 25 covers process state management, IPC, concurrent programming, shared resources, scheduling algorithms, and SMP. The demo may also be a fun little graphical one if we can get it approved.
Sounds great! can't wait to read it. Mind If I redesign the site for my portfolio? Not officially or anything, just for fun.
Bender
Libera.chat IRC: bender|

Post by Bender »

I've been working on a extended version of Super-CHIP8, and decided to port the entire emulator to bare metal. Of course, it's running in real mode since this was just a test. It's written partly in C and assembly, and it seems to work for the most part. This extended version of the SCHIP8 can address 64K of total memory (in contrast to the original 4K) through segmentation. The UI is kind of simple and looks similar to most 16-bit OSes here.

Below you see the original "INVADERS" game's intro screen. There's some problems with the input (after all the entire thing is a bodge), I hope I'd get most of the bugs and problems fixed soon. Unfortunately, there's no assembler in the meantime for this specific implementation.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
(R3X Runtime VM)(CHIP8 Interpreter OS)
CorruptedByCPU

Post by CorruptedByCPU »

Not much has changed, but I still have a fun :)

https://blackdev.org/ - system programming, my own 64 bit kernel and software.
digo_rp

Post by digo_rp »

Hi all, I get smp support on digos! nice! it´s detected using ACPI and MP float point structures.!
This is a test on my Intel core i7 notebook!

thanks all, thanks so much Brendan!
Attachments
Digos with SMP Support!!!
Digos with SMP Support!!!