What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
BrightLight

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by BrightLight »

max wrote:Does your OS have separate user- and kernel space? If so, why would you want to let scripts run in kernel space instead of userspace and therefore loose userspace security aspects?
You seem to miss the fact my OS is 16-bit like MikeOS.
max wrote:For example, userspace programs might want to register native functions as script functions; are you planning to allow this (if yes, how?) or are there no binary programs & only scripts allowed at all?
There are binary and script programs, but programs cannot register their functions as script function nor can scripts do that. Instead, they can load a module into INT 0x62 using the kernel's system call. All of this is in my documentation when it will be released.
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
bace

Post by bace »

omarrx024 wrote:
bace wrote:I've also done some work with VBE, and now have DejaVu Mono as the font.
Do you have TrueType font support?
No - I just wrote a quick Java program to generate the 256 ASCII characters in a simple format, where each character is 28 bytes. Every 2 bytes represents an 8 pixel row (as it's an 8x14 bitmap), using 2 bits for every pixel, which is the intensity. The VBE driver works out how to map the intensity to an actual color, given different background and foreground colors when it is initialized. Hopefully someday I'll have TrueType font support! [-o<
"for example, turning off the system’s power through the movement of a large red switch" - the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Specification
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

bace wrote:2 bits for every pixel, which is the intensity. The VBE driver works out how to map the intensity to an actual color, given different background and foreground colors when it is initialized.
Okay, there's no way I can ever say I'm not impressed! =D>
How do you switch into VESA mode? Do you drop back to real mode, do you use VM86 or how do you do it?
bace wrote:Hopefully someday I'll have TrueType font support! [-o<
I wish to implement this in my OS as well. Good luck! =D>
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
bace

Post by bace »

omarrx024 wrote:
bace wrote:2 bits for every pixel, which is the intensity. The VBE driver works out how to map the intensity to an actual color, given different background and foreground colors when it is initialized.
Okay, there's no way I can ever say I'm not impressed! =D>
How do you switch into VESA mode? Do you drop back to real mode, do you use VM86 or how do you do it?
My bootloader does it. It checks if it could find any graphics modes, if it couldn't it loads some standard ones. It then asks the user which mode it wants to use, switches mode, then passes the information to the kernel. Thanks for the support - I'm very interested in your OS as well. I can't wait until I have some sort of CLI! :D
"for example, turning off the system’s power through the movement of a large red switch" - the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Specification
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

bace wrote:I'm very interested in your OS as well.
Thanks a lot! You can see my site for more info. http://vectoros.eu.pn/
Do you have a website or an online repository or blog?
bace

Post by bace »

omarrx024 wrote:
bace wrote:I'm very interested in your OS as well.
Thanks a lot! You can see my site for more info. http://vectoros.eu.pn/
Do you have a website or an online repository or blog?
Nah... I'm too lazy! :lol:
Coomer69

Post by Coomer69 »

My OS detecting the partitions on my old XP machine and printing from userspace. Now for EXT2 support :)
The leftmost column of characters get cut off in text mode for some reason. Probably because of the scaling on the monitor. I'm pretty sure it happens at the BIOS boot device selection aswell.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

SapphireBeauty wrote:My OS detecting the partitions on my old XP machine and printing from userspace. Now for EXT2 support
Cool! What system design do you plan? Oh, and what does DNOS stand for?
Coomer69

Post by Coomer69 »

8)
Last edited by Coomer69 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peterbjornx
Libera.chat IRC: peterbjornx

Post by Peterbjornx »

omarrx024 wrote:
max wrote:Does your OS have separate user- and kernel space? If so, why would you want to let scripts run in kernel space instead of userspace and therefore loose userspace security aspects?
You seem to miss the fact my OS is 16-bit like MikeOS.
Running the processor in 16-bit mode does not exclude the possibility of using protection, there is also a 16-bit pmode...
http://f.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21353&start=0
sortie
Libera.chat IRC: sortie

Post by sortie »

I went ahead and ported GRUB to Sortix.

I prepared a nice disk image with a full installation of my OS and the GRUB tools and files, but the disk image has no bootloader and won't boot. I then used a grub rescue disk to manually boot the kernel and initrd on it. I check the geometry of the devices, locate the root partition and the root disk, then I install the GRUB onto the root disk. Finally, I generate the bootloader configuration so it boots offers a splash screen with an entry to boot /boot/sortix.bin and /boot/sortix.initrd.

I power off the system, remove the GRUB rescue disk, and just am left with the harddisk image. I boot it up, and I get a fancy GRUB splash screen offering to boot my OS:

And it even works! (This is grub-2.02~beta2, the stable grub-2.00 I first ported was too buggy to boot my OS.)

Oh hey. That actually also ported grub-mkrescue. I gotta port xorriso and complete Bare Bones one of these days.
sortie
Libera.chat IRC: sortie

Post by sortie »

Well, I went ahead and ported xorriso as well.

Yay. Now I just gotta restore my bochs port to working order and cross-build a cross-compiler.
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

I think porting software on a unix like os is easy. Is it true?
max
Libera.chat IRC: maxdev

Post by max »

muazzam wrote:I think porting software on a unix like os is easy. Is it true?
Depends on the software. Also it doesn't necessarily depend on being unix-like, my OS for example is not unix-like at all, but provides the standard C functionality & some compatibility code so porting is possible. If software depends on things like a specific environment (file system structure etc.) though, porting gets harder.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

There are a few things that are constantly making trouble if you aren't Unix-like. The part that impacts me most is the whole fork/exec and file descriptor inheritance thing. If you don't do it like Unix, you're doomed to patch every program ad nauseam.
Developer of tyndur - community OS of Lowlevel (German)