What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Roman

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by Roman »

Roflo wrote:
omarrx024 wrote:It's nice to have old computers to test your OS on. :D
Yes, old... 3x4GHz ... :wink:
It's a solo Pentium 4 with 3GHz. I think it can be called old.
"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
bace

Post by bace »

Here's Calcium running on my actual computer. I wasn't planning on uploading another screenshot yet, but a few other people are showing their OSes on real hardware.

Also, omarrx024, why is your OS closed source? It looks really good! =D>
Attachments
Calcium running on real hardware, showing off the physical memory allocator.
Calcium running on real hardware, showing off the physical memory allocator.
"for example, turning off the system’s power through the movement of a large red switch" - the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Specification
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

bace wrote:Also, omarrx024, why is your OS closed source? It looks really good! =D>
Thanks a lot. It's taken me a lot of work just to draw a window in my GUI. :mrgreen:
I plan to open the source of my OS again after I make it past version 0.1.0, but now the design is rapidly changing and I change the code a lot. So I will wait until after I release version 0.1.0 alpha, then I will re-open the source. :D
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

omarrx024 wrote:I plan to open the source of my OS again after I make it past version 0.1.0, but now the design is rapidly changing and I change the code a lot. So I will wait until after I release version 0.1.0 alpha, then I will re-open the source. :D
I host mine OS on GitHub. Not because I necessarily wanted to share the source code at first, but because I wanted source control since I've accidentally deleted stuff in the past. The fact that it's open source is a positive side effect. :)
My OS is Perception.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

MessiahAndrw wrote:The fact that it's open source is a positive side effect. :)
Hehe. ;)
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

My poorly made 16x8 bitmap fonts in a VESA graphics mode:
fonts1.png
fonts1.png (11.05 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
Text editor:
fonts2.png
fonts2.png (9.43 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

muazzam wrote:My poorly made 16x8 bitmap fonts in a VESA graphics mode
It doesn't look half bad. ;)
I was also making a font for my GUI instead of using that of the BIOS, but I decided to leave it for later and then I got lazy. :mrgreen:
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

omarrx024 wrote: It doesn't look half bad. ;)
But they are not scalable.
omarrx024 wrote: I was also making a font for my GUI instead of using that of the BIOS, but I decided to leave it for later and then I got lazy. :mrgreen:
I recommend you to make your own fonts earlier otherwise porting existing functions and programs will became complex and lots of parts may became resolution dependent by some mistakes.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

muazzam wrote:I recommend you to make your own fonts earlier otherwise porting existing functions and programs will became complex and lots of parts may became resolution dependent by some mistakes.
I am already doing this, but I take huge pauses in development because I think there are some more important things. Care to share your font with us? :P :mrgreen:
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

omarrx024 wrote: Care to share your font with us? :P :mrgreen:
Sure.
fonts.zip
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
seuti

Post by seuti »

muazzam wrote:My poorly made 16x8 bitmap fonts in a VESA graphics mode:
fonts1.png
Text editor:
fonts2.png
How does your font need to be stored? If you have a spritesheet bitmap there are lots of tools that can neatly create it for you.
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

seuti wrote: How does your font need to be stored? If you have a spritesheet bitmap there are lots of tools that can neatly create it for you.
Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know what is pritesheet bitmap. My fonts are stored as bitmap (within asm code) as you can see in previous attachment. I don't know these tools but Improving performance is more important than their look. I said "poorly made" due to performance reason.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

muazzam wrote:
omarrx024 wrote: Care to share your font with us? :P :mrgreen:
Sure.
Thanks! I'll be sure to give you your credit. I was actually Googling day and night looking for a VGA font. Thanks again! :)
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Nice new font, thanks to muazzam! :D
seuti

Post by seuti »

muazzam wrote:
seuti wrote: How does your font need to be stored? If you have a spritesheet bitmap there are lots of tools that can neatly create it for you.
Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know what is pritesheet bitmap. My fonts are stored as bitmap (within asm code) as you can see in previous attachment. I don't know these tools but Improving performance is more important than their look. I said "poorly made" due to performance reason.
So you have an image with all of the characters and then you draw imaginary lines every 32 (or whatever character width you want) pixels, each space inside the grid is a sprite; you put all of the characters in your font there.

Here's one I generated for Monospaced.

You can use a tool called F2IBuilder to generate one yourself, but I'm sure there are plenty more tools to do it.