What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Roman

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by Roman »

muazzam wrote:
SayedMohsen64 wrote: I aim for a megalithic kernel design, similar to that of Dex OS.
According to osdev wiki "The (megalithic) kernel would need to be recompiled any time a new application is installed, removed, or otherwise altered.". DexOS is not magalithic in this sense. According to Wikipedia, DexOS is monolithic kernel. If DexOS is megalithic, then DOS is also megalithic.
AFAIK, megalithic kernels are those, which are aimed at running only one app.
"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
Roman

Post by Roman »

SayedMohsen64, it is your option, but why is your versioning system so strange? Most software uses this: major.minor.bugfix. According to this, the initial version should be 0.1.
"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

Roman wrote: AFAIK, megalithic kernels are those, which are aimed at running only one app.
No, OS which runs single application is called mono-tasking operating system. It has nothing to do with monolithic or megalithic.
SayedMohsen64

Post by SayedMohsen64 »

muazzam wrote:According to osdev wiki "The (megalithic) kernel would need to be recompiled any time a new application is installed, removed, or otherwise altered.". DexOS is not magalithic in this sense. According to Wikipedia, DexOS is monolithic kernel. If DexOS is megalithic, then DOS is also megalithic.
Read carefully. They said it would need to be recompiled if programs are part of the kernel binary itself. You don't seriously think I'm going to implement my programs as part of the kernel!
SayedMohsen64

Post by SayedMohsen64 »

Roman wrote:SayedMohsen64, it is your option, but why is your versioning system so strange? Most software uses this: major.minor.bugfix. According to this, the initial version should be 0.1.
Because I am just starting and the first version is not 0.1, I am starting from 0.0 because the system is very incomplete. It doesn't even have memory management yet.
Dinso

Post by Dinso »

The Dinso Team hasn't posted a screenshot in a while. We're redesigning the desktop. There is no more taskbar. Instead, running applications are shown in the Applications menu above. The desktop is empty for now, but soon it will contain shortcuts. One of our newest additions is better alpha blending and transparent windows.
There's a lot going on behind the scenes too -- our kernel is now as modular as Linux, and we're almost finishing a compiler. We have FASM ported here. When we finish our compiler, we can port NASM and be completely self hosting! :)
Attachments
New desktop demonstrating transparent windows.
New desktop demonstrating transparent windows.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

SayedMohsen64 wrote:I have a nearly completed boot loader for my OS project Neon.
Please stop imitating everything my OS does. I've had a bootloader that looks exactly like that since 4 days.
Please stop doing everything I do for my OS. Have your own personality.
Attachments
bootloader.png
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

omarrx024 wrote: Please stop imitating everything my OS does. I've had a bootloader that looks exactly like that since 4 days.
So, you were right then: :)
omarrx024 wrote:
Roman wrote:Why is ZeroOS a closed source OS?
@Roman Because people who are inspired by my project will simply copy and paste my code.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

muazzam wrote:
omarrx024 wrote: Please stop imitating everything my OS does. I've had a bootloader that looks exactly like that since 4 days.
So, you were right then: :)
omarrx024 wrote:
Roman wrote:Why is ZeroOS a closed source OS?
@Roman Because people who are inspired by my project will simply copy and paste my code.
Yep -- here's someone who's copying my code, my design, my look-n-feel, my filesystem. This probably seems like Vector number two. :mrgreen:
At least all I copied from you was the MBR. :)
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
SayedMohsen64

Post by SayedMohsen64 »

omarrx024 wrote:Please stop imitating everything my OS does. I've had a bootloader that looks exactly like that since 4 days.
Oh okay, sorry. I thought your project was GPL'd...
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

SayedMohsen64 wrote:Oh okay, sorry. I thought your project was GPL'd...
It is GPL'd and you are allowed to use my code. Just don't imitate me and everything I do, please. Of course, you can use my code in your OS, that is the meaning of GPL after all.
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

It's good to get back into things after a long hiatus, so here's some telnet ASCII Star Wars.

And since someone's going to ask for it, connected to my own telnet server:

I've got a "release" target coming up in a couple of months, and getting this TCP stack into a generally usable state is an important goal.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

klange wrote:It's good to get back into things after a long hiatus
Seriously, all you need is a package manager and your OS can be used as a Linux distro. =D>
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

omarrx024 wrote: But a programmer would need an %include file with all the macros, which I don't want.
But why?. Without include files, programmers will have to remember all the system call numbers (if writing in assembly). What if there 100+ system calls?. And scripting languages have certain limits.
bace

Post by bace »

Hi! First post here.
I've been working on a bootloader for around two weeks, and I've begun work on a kernel. It's not much against everyone else's operating systems, but it's a start :D
It's called "Calcium", and the screenshot shows a simple hello world message.
Attachments
A simple hello world message!
A simple hello world message!
calcium001.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
"for example, turning off the system’s power through the movement of a large red switch" - the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Specification