What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
mariuszp

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by mariuszp »

I have scrapped my old OS project (again...) and this time I'm making a 64-bit OS (my previous ones were 32-bit only). Here's a screenshot of a heap debugger checking if kmalloc() and kfree() are doing their job properly :D
brunexgeek

Post by brunexgeek »

This might not be the best place to post, but I would like to show a mockup of my idea for GUI: a graphic mode console with a bottom toolbar (to launch GUI applications). The console have support to display graphics. The OS is primarily focused on scientific computing (simple simulations for now) and software development.
Attachments
machina-console.jpg
SpyderTL

Post by SpyderTL »

That looks a lot like what I was thinking about doing with my console, eventually. Sort of a hybrid console/windowed UI, borrowing elements from both.

I'm still pretty far from being ready to tackle this task though.

Here is an earlier thread where we discussed this approach.

http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8&start=15
Project: OZone
Source: GitHub
Current Task: LIB/OBJ file support
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

brunexgeek wrote:This might not be the best place to post, but I would like to show a mockup of my idea for GUI: a graphic mode console with a bottom toolbar (to launch GUI applications). The console have support to display graphics. The OS is primarily focused on scientific computing (simple simulations for now) and software development.
That's exactly how I want my terminal console to function too! The best way I'm thinking of implementing it is by allowing applications to print out markup (like HTML, bbcode, wikicode) - perhaps even send markup back so there can be interactive elements.
My OS is Perception.
brunexgeek

Post by brunexgeek »

SpyderTL wrote:... Sort of a hybrid console/windowed UI, borrowing elements from both.
That's what I want! I will provide some additional mockup with windows later.
SpyderTL wrote: Here is an earlier thread where we discussed this approach.

http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8&start=15
Thanks!
MessiahAndrw wrote: That's exactly how I want my terminal console to function too! The best way I'm thinking of implementing it is by allowing applications to print out markup (like HTML, bbcode, wikicode) - perhaps even send markup back so there can be interactive elements.
I agree with you: using some markup language seems a good approach to achieve this. I want to provide interactivity too, something like programs widgets: the user could run a program with some parameter (e.g. --widget) and the GUI contents would be shown in the console instead an window (probably with some limitations). The entire windowing system could use the markup language to render GUI and provides interactivity (event-driven), something like UI markup language used in mobile devices.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Why parsed markup, but not native code?
"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
max
Libera.chat IRC: maxdev

Post by max »

Roman wrote:Why parsed markup, but not native code?
I think thats not a good idea due to the hard binding, a markup language is more general and independent of what emitted it.
digo_rp

Post by digo_rp »

fat32 working with v86 int 0x13 :D
fat32 working with v86 int 0x13 :D
fat32 using vm86 bios int 0x13, just to make all little stuff works, :-D
Bender
Libera.chat IRC: bender|

Post by Bender »

It's been a long time since I posted anything here.

I have rewritten the entire VM core, and made a few major architectural changes, and now the screen renderer uses hardware accelaration instead of SDLs software rendering (which was painfully slow). This opens a whole new world in itself.
The next step is to make the VM much more solid, (there are a few bugs, especially memory leaks, program relying on uninitialised variables and so on), and add finally implement garbage collection and dynamic allocations.

Also, I'm planning something like IL2CPU, which is a compiler that translates .NET bytecode to x86, my compiler will translate my VMs bytecode to native platforms, which would make it possible to port it to platforms that can't run the VM.

And hey, I finally wrote a debugger to make my life easier. (Ignore the ridiculous grammar there, I didn't pay much attention to the messages, probably going to fix that too.)
The program below does something around the lines of:

Code: Select all

<Some code to make stuff look good>
; Push a random address as string pointer
push 0xFFF20323
; And Call the VM to print it
syscall SYSCALL_PUTS
EDIT: Apologies for the huge image, the img tags here don't seem to work with resizing e.g.:

[img=h x w][/img]
as suggested by bbcode's website.
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
(R3X Runtime VM)(CHIP8 Interpreter OS)
BrightLight

ZeroOS

Post by BrightLight »

Hi :D I've been working on my kernel "ZeroOS" and my command-line interpreter "ZeroSH" that runs on the ZeroOS kernel.
ZeroOS reads its configuration file on startup and loads the launcher from there. In my case, the launcher is the ZeroSH shell.

I've been working on this project since two days, and here's what came out of my work :)
Attachments
ZeroSH can load and execute programs, as long as they have the .ZRX extension. It is case sensitive and &quot;exit&quot; halts the system.
ZeroSH can load and execute programs, as long as they have the .ZRX extension. It is case sensitive and "exit" halts the system.
ZeroSH Program Execution.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
ZeroOS kernel when the specified launcher filename in the configuration file is missing.
ZeroOS kernel when the specified launcher filename in the configuration file is missing.
ZeroOS Missing Launcher.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
ZeroSH shell after kernel boot up. The messages on the top are kernel startup messages.
ZeroSH shell after kernel boot up. The messages on the top are kernel startup messages.
ZeroSH.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
Bender
Libera.chat IRC: bender|

Post by Bender »

I've been working on this project since two days, and here's what came out of my work :)
Hey, that's really impressive considering you only did it in 2 days. Are your programs in binary format or they have headers/section tables etc.?
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
(R3X Runtime VM)(CHIP8 Interpreter OS)
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Bender wrote:
Hey, that's really impressive considering you only did it in 2 days. Are your programs in binary format or they have headers/section tables etc.?
Hey! Thanks a lot! :) Yes, I execute programs in binary format. My OS is in real mode and I know how MZ executables work. As we speak I am implementing MZ in my kernel :)
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Since the ZeroSH shell can load and execute programs, I decided to write an application that prompts the user for a filename, loads the file and displays it on the screen. I decided a text file viewer would be too easy, so I went with something better: a bitmap file viewer!
This program "BMPVIEW.ZRX" loads BMP files to 0xFFFF:0x10 (1MB) and displays it on the screen. For now, it only works with 320x200 resolution images and 8 bit color (256 colors)
Took me about an hour to properly implement the BMP driver, but I think I did well! :)

EDIT: A small bug exists. The top left pixel of the screen stays black, I don't know why, but it just does. I'm investigating this :)
Attachments
Bitmap viewer application views a bitmap in ZeroOS.
Bitmap viewer application views a bitmap in ZeroOS.
KemyLand

Post by KemyLand »

This thread is 1709 posts and 114 pages long. This is obviously the largest thread (by far...) on the entire forum. Let's ask chase how many MiBs this thread sizes alone :P .
Happy New Code!
Hello World in Brainfuck :D:

++++++++[>++++[>++>+++>+++>+<<<<-]>+>+>->>+[<]<-]>>.>---.+++++++..+++.>>.<-.<.+++.------.--------.>>+.>++.
[/size]
Brynet-Inc
Libera.chat IRC: brynet

Post by Brynet-Inc »

KemyLand wrote:This thread is 1709 posts and 114 pages long. This is obviously the largest thread (by far...) on the entire forum. Let's ask chase how many MiBs this thread sizes alone :P .
A lot of people used external image hosts over the years, also there's plenty of broken links by now (..including my OP). I imagine he's set an upper limit for board attachments by now, so, I don't imagine storage size is much of a concern.

Bandwidth usage might be another story..
Twitter: @canadianbryan. Award by smcerm, I stole it. Original was larger.