What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Roman

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by Roman »

max wrote:
Peterbjornx wrote:My OS running gcc, busybox (ed + ash shown here) and a program written and compiled on my OS
Awesome!!

Well I just started developing my window server :P
plasma.bin?
"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
max
Libera.chat IRC: maxdev

Post by max »

Roman wrote:plasma.bin?
Plasma is the name of my window manager, and thats its binary. Ghost is the name of my kernel, so I thought that would be cool :mrgreen:
Combuster
Libera.chat IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Post by Combuster »

Plasma is the name of my window manager
KDE's desktop is also called "Plasma". I'm not sure if it's a good idea to compete with popular software over that name. :wink:
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
max
Libera.chat IRC: maxdev

Post by max »

Combuster wrote:
Plasma is the name of my window manager
KDE's desktop is also called "Plasma". I'm not sure if it's a good idea to compete with popular software over that name. :wink:
Damn. #-o I think I'll just name it "Buster" :mrgreen:
Lionel
Libera.chat IRC: ryanel

Post by Lionel »

ARM Port is (so very close minus a few inconsistencies but it boots to the same environment anyway, but is otherwise) ON PAR with my x86 port!

ARM (Integrator CP) and x86
ImageImage

(The arm kernel takes 4ms because the timer is started with the xrq's, while x86 starts the pit waaaaay later)

The nice thing though is that in the source the code for the architecture gets the machine into a state where all the abstractions are operational (video_print, not arm_gterm_printc(x,y,c)). This means the main kernel is architecture independent, and is way easier to port to other architectures! I'm thinking about MIPS next. Or Sparc.
Dju

Post by Dju »

Hi everyone, here is my own hobby operating system project. My main goal is to rethink every pieces of an operating system, taking the best ideas of well known operating systems like UNIX, Windows, Android, and build from scratch everything to learn and understand everything. I'm currently designing the user interface, to provide a great experience to users.

For now, I'm the only developper, designer, architect of this project. I try to keep everything clear and easy to understand, with a lot of abstraction everywhere. My coding style is close to C#, and the CLI is actually a great inspiration.

I have no external dependencies for the kernel, and I ported/included Miniz (deflate), SQLite to build applications easily. I am not using any standard librairies, just my own classes and code. It boots using Grub 0.97. Since I don't use any third party library, I build my own structs for String, List, Dictionary, Functions (lambda typing), Parameters (va_lists), Queues, ...

I work in a full Windows environment, using :
  • Visual Studio 2012, with MSVC v110 toolset. (I am about to update my solution for VS2013 with v120 toolset)
    VMware VDDK, to build, manipulate VMDK disk images
    VMware Player tu run my OS. It has GDB debugging support.
    IDA debugger. I am only using it for low level debugging (Multitasking, VM86, ...)
Here is what I've done :
  • My HAL for x86
    My CRT, only used for 64-bit arithmetic, compiler-specific methods and RTTI
    Mouse, Keyboard, ATA, Serial, VESA generic drivers
    VMware accelerated mouse driver (like with VMware tools)
    FAT16 file system support (read, partial write)
    Multitasking, Usermode
    Basic reflection and stack trace support (using RTTI and MAPs)
    Graphic interface using VBE driver. I am currently using 720p during developpement.
    A lot of interface controls (Buttons, Labels, Tabs, Windows, Images, Graphs, Grids, ...) with antialiasing and alpha blending
    Custom Fonts, Bitmaps support
    Partial SQL database (using SQLite, only in-memory for now)
And what i'm currently doing :
  • Adding a lot of new controls
    Deeper mutex, semaphore, signal support
    PCI support
    VMware video/3D driver to bring hardware acceleration and 3D games
Finally, here are some screenshots. Since I am using a laptop with High DPI, the screenshots may appear way bigger on your screen than on mine. DPI support on its way ! I know the colors aren't very pretty and saturated, but I plan to have a per-app dynamic color and theming system.
Attachments
Current design preview<br />Shell, Editor (top tabs, fields)<br />Database editor (side submenu, grid, field)<br />System message (icons)
Current design preview
Shell, Editor (top tabs, fields)
Database editor (side submenu, grid, field)
System message (icons)
Input field<br />Dynamic grid container (with labels inside here)
Input field
Dynamic grid container (with labels inside here)
Multicurves graph,<br />Serial output
Multicurves graph,
Serial output
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

That's really nice and clean looking Dju.
My OS is Perception.
ScropTheOSAdventurer

Post by ScropTheOSAdventurer »

@Dju, you should NEVER change the look of that! I don't know HOW you are thinking those colors aren't good! Keep them!
"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."
shaunhey

Post by shaunhey »

Looks fantastic Dju. I'd love to hear more about your tool chain/environment/workflow.
Bender
Libera.chat IRC: bender|

Post by Bender »

Well, I wonder if you guys consider this a 'Hello World' OS at least. :lol:
Just because it doesn't run in QEMU/Bochs/VMWare/x86/ARM doesn't mean it's not a 'Hello World' OS.

Maybe I should be posting this at forum.archdev.org? :)
Source: https://github.com/Benderx2/FVM/blob/master/test.asm
P.S. Sorry for the huge screenshot.
EDIT: It looks like MessiahAndrw has a similar goal, his OS Perception is also based upon a hypothetical VM.
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
(R3X Runtime VM)(CHIP8 Interpreter OS)
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

Bender wrote:EDIT: It looks like MessiahAndrw has a similar goal, his OS Perception is also based upon a hypothetical VM.
Interesting - are you creating your own architecture/bytecode?

That's what I'm doing - it's a stack-based machine for dynamic languages that will eventually run without any hardware isolation. I also invented a high level dynamic language called Shovel. Shovel is missing features I'd love to add some day (interfaces, exceptions, constants, functional functions) but it's good enough (closures, functions, arrays, objects) for my own general purpose use right now.
Last edited by AndrewAPrice on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My OS is Perception.
Bender

Post by Bender »

MessiahAndrw wrote:
Bender wrote:EDIT: It looks like MessiahAndrw has a similar goal, his OS Perception is also based upon a hypothetical VM.
Interesting - are you creating your own architecture/bytecode?
Yes, designing it from scratch.
And since I'm posting in this topic, I got multitasking working on my OS/Architecture :wink:
Image (aplologies for the huge image again)
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
jal

Post by jal »

MessiahAndrw wrote:I also invented a high level dynamic language called Shovel.
That's incredibly cool. What tools (if any) did you use to create the compiler?

JAL
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

jal wrote:
MessiahAndrw wrote:I also invented a high level dynamic language called Shovel.
That's incredibly cool. What tools (if any) did you use to create the compiler?
Thanks. It's a handwritten Recursive Descent Parser.
The compiler/assembler are written for Node.js (although the VM is written in C++), because my dynamic language shares many of the same basic syntax as Javascript (concerning functions, objects, closures), making it easy to port in the future when I want to make it a self-hosting compiler.

The compiler does absolutely no optimizations right now, eventually it will do basic constant folding (I will leave many of the optimizations to the VM which can see the overall running process, not just a single source file.) My next plan for the compiler is to add a -d flag so it outputs column/line numbers after every instruction, variable names, etc. so that eventually you can single step through running code.

But baby steps first, I'm working on a basic bytecode interpreter for the VM. I want to get something running before I add optimizations.

@Bender: That is impressive considering you made the architecture yourself! Could you let us know what kind of architecture it is?
Last edited by AndrewAPrice on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My OS is Perception.
Bender

Post by Bender »

@Bender: That is impressive considering you made the architecture yourself! Could you let us know what kind of architecture it is?
It's a 32-bit RISCy-like machine with opcodes having the same length, and all the instructions operate only on registers with the exceptions being LD1FA0 (Load R1 from address of R0), ST1TA0 (Store R1 to address of R0), PUSH and POPR. It was made to have 12 GPRs but only R0-R6 and R12 (Stack Pointer) are usable yet.

It's inspired by x86 with the CISC bit removed. I'm not sure whether I should call it 'Turing Complete' because it lacks the ALU. There are two instructions INCR and DECR (Increment and Decrement registers) but binary logic instructions (which are surprisingly the base of computers) aren't implemented yet. (AND, NAND (:lol:), OR, eXclusive OR, shift operations etc. aren't possible with this machine yet.)