What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
MollenOS

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by MollenOS »

MollenOS's new window compositor.

Libraries ported:
zlib
libpng
freetype (the fonts are rendered by freetype).

The window compositor is homemade, I've written SSE and MMX routines for alpha-blending which are glorious :-)
Attachments
MosGraphics.jpg
Bender
Libera.chat IRC: bender|

Post by Bender »

@MollenOS Cool. I didn't like the font personally. Nice to see more hobby OSes having a GUI. :)
And do you have a project page?
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
(R3X Runtime VM)(CHIP8 Interpreter OS)
MollenOS

Post by MollenOS »

Bender wrote:@MollenOS Cool. I didn't like the font personally. Nice to see more hobby OSes having a GUI. :)
And do you have a project page?
Haha thanks, I don't like the fonts either, but I'm having a hard time finding something I actually like :p

No, I don't have a project page (haven't bothered yet), I still have a few features and need to fix a few bugs in my compositor and I'll post a release. ^^
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

Working on some general interface updates, with some minor style changes to my login screen and a new default wallpaper:

The GUI login app and the wallpaper app are both still written using my old graphics library. I'm thinking I should just port them over to Cairo so I can get more usable rendering primitives...
no92
Libera.chat IRC: no92

Post by no92 »

@klange: What's up with PonyOS? It's the April 2nd!
klange

Post by klange »

no92 wrote:@klange: What's up with PonyOS? It's the April 2nd!
I released 2.0...
zhiayang
Libera.chat IRC: zhiayang

Post by zhiayang »

So I managed to port a math library (just extracted the math parts of http://code.google.com/p/osdevlibc/, if anybody's interested).

Instead of doing more important and core improvements, like you know, filesystem performance or a window/IPC dispatcher.
Still, graphs are cool!
max
Libera.chat IRC: maxdev

Post by max »

So here's a screenshot of the progress of Ghost :) Currently its a 32bit operating system running unicore, but I'm planning to add at least multicore support soon. :P

The libraries I'm using are newlib and libgcc. What you see in this picture is a console thats implemented in Java:

There are a few JNI methods that provide low level system access (Memory.read, Memory.write, Memory.copy, CPU.writePort, CPU.readPort) which allows writing the drivers in Java. For example, keyboard interrupts are handled by Java code, the video output is written in Java and, for example, you can use a RamdiskInputStream for reading files from the ramdisk like this:

Code: Select all

RamdiskInputStream in = null;
String content = "";
try {
	in = new RamdiskInputStream(path);

byte[] buffer = new byte[512];
	int len;
	while ((len = in.read(buffer, 0, 512)) > 0) {
		content += new String(buffer, 0, len);
	}
} catch (IOException e) {
	out.println("File not found or not readable");
} finally {
	in.close();
}
To achieve this, my friend sknine and I are developing the ColdSpot JVM, always taking care to keep it as portable and independent as possible - what allows us to use it in Ghost :)

Our next steps are a few optimizations and Just-in-Time-compilation, and oh, of course writing a complete runtime library.^^
jal

Post by jal »

max wrote:What you see in this picture is a console thats implemented in Java
Cool.

JAL
max

Post by max »

jal wrote:
Cool.

JAL
haters gonna hate :D
Bender
Libera.chat IRC: bender|

Post by Bender »

max wrote:
jal wrote:
Cool.

JAL
haters gonna hate :D
I wonder if the entire system is in Java or not.
EDIT: Okay not the whole system, but I was wondering whether you'll make your entire userspace in Java.
Anyways Good Work and don't forget to create 2^(1000) backups. :)
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
(R3X Runtime VM)(CHIP8 Interpreter OS)
max

Post by max »

Bender wrote:I wonder if the entire system is in Java or not.
EDIT: Okay not the whole system, but I was wondering whether you'll make your entire userspace in Java.
Anyways Good Work and don't forget to create 2^(1000) backups. :)
Yes, the entire userspace and the drivers are/will be written in Java. On startup the kernel initializes the memory management, sets up scheduling and then loads the ramdisks. Then the control is handed to the VM (which relies on that basic setup) that loads the Startup class and there we go.

Thank you. For sure I do, source versioning ftw ^-^
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I really do not want to do these stuff. but, it's funny when you see the pic blow.
Screenshot.jpg
Sorry, windows 8, i got these pictures from google.
klange

Post by klange »

Not much should look different from my previous screenshots, but I actually wrote a brand new window compositor from scratch, so quite a bit has changed in the background.

Nothing much different in the login app, except that this screenshot is from after a version number bump.

Performance is way up across the board, with gears getting a solid 500FPS. The drawing app is also much speedier, and no longer lags when its window is rotated. The new socket system means the server doesn't have to do terrible things to communicate with clients, and the general system for client connections is much simpler. Additionally, some new functionality has been added, including window lists (as seen in the panel).

All of the apps needed to be manually ported from the old window system, as the new one is fundamentally incompatible - it uses a much more robust event socket and all rendering requires notifying the server of damaged regions. The terminal was one of the first apps to get ported, after the login app. The new resize semantics allow clients to engage in negotation with the server, though the server will currently accept any offer from a client; this allows the terminal to round window sizes after a user-initiated resize, so it doesn't have gaps.

Overall, writing the new compositor was a lot of fun, and I got to correct some major issues from the old one (which was written for a hackathon at the last minute).
Nable

Post by Nable »

to klange
Why did `ls' show only vim's swp file but not the 'test.c' entry?