What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
SoUrcerer

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by SoUrcerer »

New KolibriOS cool stuff: PDF viewer and PlayStation emulator. More than 200 fixes for last 2 months, and now we're preparing for new stable release. Bug-tracker is available now too :P We hope to add some CSS and JavaScript to our Web Browser soon.
kolibri_pre.png
gravaera
Location: Supporting the cause: Use \tabs to indent code. NOT \x20 spaces.

Post by gravaera »

This is...stunning, nothing short of it, that is all :O
17:56 < sortie> Paging is called paging because you need to draw it on pages in your notebook to succeed at it.
ACcurrent

Post by ACcurrent »

A JS engine in ASM, Good Luck!
Get back to work!
Github
bubach

Post by bubach »

ACcurrent wrote:A JS engine in ASM, Good Luck!
Whats so special and hard about a JS engine? You sound as if it's impossible when it's just another "compiler" written in ASM.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
http://bos.asmhackers.net/ - GitHub
Love4Boobies

Post by Love4Boobies »

A JavaScript implementation written in assembly says two things: experience and great stupidity (the two are not mutually exclusive!).
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.", Popular Mechanics (1949)
[ Project UDI ]
ACcurrent

Post by ACcurrent »

There are not many JS engines. We do not even have "tinyJS" like have TinyCC and TinyPY and TinyVM (JAVA). Those that do exist are huge in size and obfuscated. Developing a JS engine in ASM would be a challenge particularly with everyone writing bad CSS/HTML/JS.
Get back to work!
Github
Love4Boobies

Post by Love4Boobies »

My point is that a smart developer will make his/her life easier, not more complicated. You can eat steak with a spoon---just because it's a bigger challenge doesn't mean it's intelligent.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.", Popular Mechanics (1949)
[ Project UDI ]
SoUrcerer

Post by SoUrcerer »

Hey, who said that JS engine is written in assembly? It's just C :D We're weird, but not very stupid. Btw, JS engine is ready, and supports JavaScript 1.5. You can check it if you want, but I think it's better to wait web browser another month or two.
Caleb1994

Post by Caleb1994 »

VolTeK wrote:
Caleb1994 wrote:multitasking and a VFS interface, I think I will try to start loading drivers! I'm pretty stoked
That's quite a lot of work. Anticipating future images
Thanks, although I'm not sure how much more I'll be posting. I was hoping to whip some quick driver loading code (this is a complete rewrite of an old kernel attempt, so I already know the basics), but haven't been able to, yet, and I'm leaving for school on Saturday. It's a military academy, so that means there isn't going to be much messing around, and I probably won't have my computer for a while... :/

edit:

I did get some more work done! Here's my newest screenshot. I've got driver loading (elf32 objects files, runtime linking) working, and I've written a little parser so I can just add module load calls to a file called /etc/modules.conf and the kernel will automagically load them :) Oh, I also got syscalls working. I haven't written all the syscalls yet, but the basic ones like open,close,read,yield, etc. are done. (the /etc/modules.conf was written using the open,close,read syscalls, actually). I've got a devfs driver written, so I can now write drivers for devices (first will probably be a serial IO driver, so I can have a working console without having to screw with the keyboard IO, at the moment :P)

Here is the format of the modules.conf:

Code: Select all

# this file should be filled with module(...) statements
# each statement should specify the path to a module 
# to be loaded at boot time. You should always add to the
# end of the list unless  you know what you are doing!
# 
# Also, after the last ')' on a module line, the parser
# ignores everything, so you can safely put comments without
# '#'s, but that doesn't look nice, now does it ;)

module(/bin/devfs.ko) 
It's incredibly simple, but does the trick, and even has basic syntax checking (just gives "error" and line number).

Kazinsal
Libera.chat IRC: Kazinsal

Post by Kazinsal »

Nothing much to see, just Blacklight OS hooked up to PuTTY via a virtual null-modem cable.

Only characters after "ivt: interrupt_set_gate 00h 06h " are displayed because the kernel hooks int 10h/AH=0Eh so that all output via that function is dumped to the serial port. Currently, this is a compile-time kernel option. However, I'd like to make it an optional driver that does the necessary hooking of both int 10h and the kernel's keyboard stuff (technical term, I know), and that will be my next step after verifying that my terrible driver interface works.
shacknetisp

Post by shacknetisp »

My OS (based on GeekOS, in case you wondered):
qemu_cradium.png
Mano

Post by Mano »

This is my OS. The shell is listing the files in a directory, and showing what processes are running!

It's a VERY modest project compared to what I've seen around on this forum, but still, I'm very happy with it.

I have my drivers executing as server outside the kernel, and they communicate with other processes by passing messages. I support statically linked ELF executables. I have simplified implementations of the ISO9660 and FAT file systems, and an IDE PIO MODE driver (maybe one day I'll code something more appropriate).

Anyway, none of this would be possible without this community. I didn't even need to ask many questions, most of my doubts so far were asked, and aswered by the forums/wiki and of course other sites/articles/books I read. Thanks guys.
Attachments
ps.png
shacknetisp

Post by shacknetisp »

Some updates to my OS, now called Capacitor:
ae.png
ae.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 6115 times
The login screen...
capacitor_login.png
The shell.
The attachment ae.png is no longer available
A simple editor editing init's config file.
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

jodybruchon

Post by jodybruchon »

Hello! I've looked at the site for years, but not really said anything until now. This is my first post ever!

My OS is not for an x86; it's for the 6502, and while I didn't write a whole lot to it, I thought I would post the panic test screenshots; one is from a C64 emulator, the other is from Daryl Rictor's 65C02 simulator. I'm a very small amount of code away from supporting the NES PPU as well.

I'm hoping to start coding an x86 OS soon, but this is what I've spent little bits of free time on since about November 2004.