What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Coty

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by Coty »

Well, I started my OS project over a few weeks ago, it isn't the most impressive OS (I think Brueggi's is much better, partly because of the fox lady...) but it works :P
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 7145 times
Top line in white text displays some CPU fetures and whats enabled:
bit 0: This bit shows that you have CPUID.
bit 1: This bit shows that your CPU supports PAE paging, and is enabled instead of legacy.
bit 2: This will show APIC suport, but right now I just jump over it and enable PIC...

The yellow text on the topline, displays wheather you have a compatible FDD or not (Mira only supports 1.44MB diskettes). 1 = yes, 0 = no

The cyan/blue text under the purple line is a dump of your Hard disk info obtained with the "Identify" command, right now I only check the MASTER...
My hero, is Mel.
Chandra

Post by Chandra »

Top line in white text displays some CPU fetures and whats enabled:
bit 0: This bit shows that you have CPUID.
bit 1: This bit shows that your CPU supports PAE paging, and is enabled instead of legacy.
bit 2: This will show APIC suport, but right now I just jump over it and enable PIC...

The yellow text on the topline, displays wheather you have a compatible FDD or not (Mira only supports 1.44MB diskettes). 1 = yes, 0 = no

The cyan/blue text under the purple line is a dump of your Hard disk info obtained with the "Identify" command, right now I only check the MASTER...
Doesn't look much like a human-readable language!
Programming is not about using a language to solve a problem, it's about using logic to find a solution !
Coty

Post by Coty »

I do not understand what you mean.

Frankly, neither does my code :lol: But it's just kernel initialization DEBUG until I get to the point were I start using C++. (right now it's all in ASM...)
My hero, is Mel.
Chandra

Post by Chandra »

Coty wrote:I do not understand what you mean.
I was referring to the contents of the screenshot. Frankly, the screenshot rather gives me a feeling of Kernel Crash.
Coty wrote:But it's just kernel initialization DEBUG until I get to the point were I start using C++.
May be some more readable phrases would be better?

Doesn't matter much anyway. Never Mind. :)
Programming is not about using a language to solve a problem, it's about using logic to find a solution !
Coty

Post by Coty »

You missed my star trek reference :D Mr Data (The one in the picture I posted) is an android :wink:

Quite actually it basically could be considered a kernel crash as it stops execution directly after DEBUG is displayed... I'll probably get to more readable phrases latter, right now the goal is just to get things working :wink:
My hero, is Mel.
thepowersgang
Libera.chat IRC: thePowersGang

Post by thepowersgang »

Well, here's mine. Might not look to different to the last screenshot I posted, but that version string tells the difference :) ARMv7 port
Attachments
Acess2 running on an Integrator-PB emulated by Qemu
Acess2 running on an Integrator-PB emulated by Qemu
20111028 - Acess2 ARM Shell.png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 9196 times
Kernel Development, It's the brain surgery of programming.
Acess2 OS (c) | Tifflin OS (rust) | mrustc - Rust compiler
Currently Working on: mrustc
jnc100

Post by jnc100 »

A simple shell. Nothing special. Except that the whole system is written in C#. 8)

There were several minutes of prolonged maniacal laughter when this finally worked.

edit: fixed image link
Last edited by jnc100 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrOS

Post by OrOS »

Reposting jnc100's image link, for people with modern browsers that are blocking it due to the certificate.
VolTeK

Post by VolTeK »

jnc100 wrote:There were several minutes of prolonged maniacal laughter when this finally worked.
Lightening strike in the background? Happened with me too only.. the power went out..
eryjus
Libera.chat IRC: eryjus

Post by eryjus »

Hi,

I'm very new to OSDev and real OS development. I say 'real' because I have played with the code from the Xinu book before (back in the DOS days). However, it has been something I have wanted to try for decades. Finding this site was the motivation I needed. I have also played with databases and compilers. I guess I aim high.... :wink:

So, for a couple of weekends of work, I have managed to:
  • Create a Bootstrap
  • Have the bootstrap load a 2 sector bootloader
  • Jump to the loaded code (different segment than the bootstrap)
  • Enable A20 (thank for the sample code)
  • Read the usable memory map (again, thanks for the help)
  • Display the memory map on the screen
  • Halt the processor
Screenshot-QEMU.png
Adam

The name is fitting: Century Hobby OS -- At this rate, it's gonna take me that long!
Read about my mistakes and missteps with this iteration: Journal

"Sometimes things just don't make sense until you figure them out." -- Phil Stahlheber
Chandra

Post by Chandra »

Qemu must have been equipped with the SeaBIOS for quite a long time. I've been using a version that uses the Plex86 BIOS, never bothered to try a new one as long as the older one is working. I'm kinda traditionalist.

Anway, you got something to work. Go on!
Qeroq

Post by Qeroq »

Carbon calculating PI in a worker thread created using pthreads. No point actually in creating a thread to directly join on it, but well, it works.
Attachments
Carbon.png
https://github.com/qero/Hydrogen (Loader for AMD64 kernels running on top of GRUB2)
DavidCooper

Post by DavidCooper »

Is this a new idea or will I run into patent problems? Mouse-cursor clock (4:37):-

[Edit: no, it turns out it isn't a new idea - I've just found a few via Google, though most don't show any images. One that is shown is a JavaScript clock that slowly follows the cursor around and hovers near it if it stays still for long enough, while another blocks the view of whatever the cursor's over, replacing it with a silly great clock face. My idea was initially for a large circular cursor which wouldn't need very accurate alignment to click on buttons, just so long as they're in the circle and nearer to the center than any other buttons. I then thought of adding the clock idea into it because I didn't want to dedicate a corner of the screen to a clock in the way that Windows does.]
Attachments
clock-cursor 2.JPG
clock-cursor 2.JPG (1.46 KiB) Viewed 8675 times
Last edited by DavidCooper on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help the people of Laos by liking - https://www.facebook.com/TheSBInitiative/?ref=py_c

MSB-OS: http://www.magicschoolbook.com/computing/os-project - direct machine code programming
Brynet-Inc
Libera.chat IRC: brynet

Post by Brynet-Inc »

You will run into patent problems with anything you write, or rather you won't.. unless you make some impact on the market. Which you won't.
Twitter: @canadianbryan. Award by smcerm, I stole it. Original was larger.
Caleb1994

Post by Caleb1994 »

Hey guys! Never posted on here before! I figured now would be a good time. I recently rewrote my kernel from scratch (-_-) because of some bad design ideas, and because I had followed tutorials so closely, that I wanted to do it myself. And I did! (well for the most part... I needed references from time to time :P) well now that I rewrote, it's now a higher half (mapped at 0xC0000000). I've just got multitasking up and running (something that was plaguing me before, was easier once I fixed a few thing :P), and am currently working on a VFS so I can load executables from my initrd :) There's some background, and here is a image, just a little test of my kernel heap, and a message to show my console driver :)

EDIT: I just realized I typed "forums.osdev.org" instead of "forum.osdev.org" hahaha whoops xP
Attachments
v0.0.1-init-with-sleep.png