What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
xvedejas

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by xvedejas »

I'm getting close to having proper user-defined objects in my OS. The scoping and everything doesn't quite work yet;

Attachments
Screenshot.png
thepowersgang
Libera.chat IRC: thePowersGang

Post by thepowersgang »

Guess what. It's showing off time again, now with ASCII Star Wars playing using Telnet.

I have a working (not complete, it's not very robust) TCP implementation now, good enough to hopefully show of at the University's Open Day :)
Attachments
Acess2 playing Star Wars from towel.blinkenlights.nl
Acess2 playing Star Wars from towel.blinkenlights.nl
Acess2-20110807-StarWars.png (11.17 KiB) Viewed 15067 times
Kernel Development, It's the brain surgery of programming.
Acess2 OS (c) | Tifflin OS (rust) | mrustc - Rust compiler
Currently Working on: mrustc
chibicitiberiu

Post by chibicitiberiu »

Completely rewritten the kernel, which now has a new name: lux (doesn't have anything to do with linux or *nix, just a name that came to my mind).
luxsnapshot1.png
Floppy driver now works on real hardware, there is also a mouse driver implemented :D although it's useless at the moment. Next step is the VFS, and then multitasking... it's going to be so cool... can't wait to get there.
Also, i have an improved memory manager (virtual and physical, with malloc functions, instead of the old 'allocblock').
luxsnapshot2.png
Tibi,
Currently working on the Lux Operating System
mduft

Post by mduft »

heres what i have so far: kernel level threads and some timing ;)

chibicitiberiu

Post by chibicitiberiu »

Since last time, I have a working VFS and initrd file system, and a really cool simple-to-implement feature that autocompletes the command in the console.
Untitled.png
It's kind of funny when you type 'cr' and press enter... "Did you mean crash?"
Tibi,
Chandra

Post by Chandra »

I like the implementation that the OS processes the nearest match for a mistyped command....... like the classic GOOGLE SEARCH.
chibicitiberiu wrote:It's kind of funny when you type 'cr' and press enter... "Did you mean crash?"
Man!that's so interesting.
Programming is not about using a language to solve a problem, it's about using logic to find a solution !
chibicitiberiu

Post by chibicitiberiu »

Chandra wrote:I like the implementation that the OS processes the nearest match for a mistyped command....... like the classic GOOGLE SEARCH.
chibicitiberiu wrote:It's kind of funny when you type 'cr' and press enter... "Did you mean crash?"
Man!that's so interesting.
In fact, it is simpler than that, it only completes an incomplete command name (first n chars) as long as the combination is unique. But it's still a cool feature.
Tibi,
Karlosoft

Post by Karlosoft »

I implemented a similar feature for my os using the levenshtein distance with some corrections about the positions of the keys, and the chars swapped :)

E.g hlelo is less "far" from hello of hlllo or heklo is less far than hellow.

Then I applied a list of the most common commands, so If the shell isn't sure, it will chose the most common.
chibicitiberiu

Post by chibicitiberiu »

Karlosoft wrote:I implemented a similar feature for my os using the levenshtein distance with some corrections about the positions of the keys, and the chars swapped :)

E.g hlelo is less "far" from hello of hlllo or heklo is less far than hellow.

Then I applied a list of the most common commands, so If the shell isn't sure, it will chose the most common.
Very nice... still, it can feel a bit weird when you type a command (that does something on an OS), and the shell thinks it's a typo and executes a totally different one... other then that, it is a very nice and helpful feature.

These problems can be solved if the shell can somehow show the correct command as you type, and pressing enter executes the correct command. This way, there will be no surprises.
Tibi,
miker00lz

Post by miker00lz »

i've made some real progress on my OS (called MT86) in the last few days. it's a pure real-mode OS written in C and assembly that can multitask, and supports virtual terminals like *NIX. in fact, you switch between them the same way.. ctrl-alt-F# key combos. it has a concept of pseudo-terminals too, so you'd be able to telnet in once i dump my TCP/IP stack (i already wrote it for something else) into the kernel. :)

anyway, i got my FAT driver working so now it can finally load arbitrary executables and fork a new process. i've got the beginning of a shell. it's pretty rudimentary for the moment, all it understands is "exec" to fork a new process from a file, and "ps" to show the active processes.

and, i also wrote a cool little text-mode plasma demo that i can run in one of the terminals while i do other stuff on another.

it's obviously way better looking when you actually watch the smooth animation, but you get the jist of it from that screenshot. so yeah, i'm hoping to spruce up the shell, add some more stuff to the kernel API, and then get it networking-enabled. with any luck i'll be hosting an MT86-powered HTTP server serving up a home page for the OS from my old 12 MHz 286 in the next month or two. :lol:

i could also use my original IBM 5150 PC (4.77 MHz 8088) to run it, but that's just too damn slow to be a web server. the plasma demo takes 2 seconds to render each frame on it. #-o

i'm going to try and have a demo version up for download in the next few days if anybody is interested.

wish me luck.
miker00lz

Post by miker00lz »

berkus wrote:
miker00lz wrote:with any luck i'll be hosting an MT86-powered HTTP server serving up a home page for the OS from my old 12 MHz 286 in the next month or two. :lol:
Good luck! Great one, and plasma effect is cool!
thanks, berkus. if you want to toy with the plasma thing, i changed the code a bit so that it'll work in DOS instead of using MT86 API calls and i removed the bottom line that had the text.

http://pastebin.com/Javc1GMW (Borland Turbo C)

http://rubbermallet.org/PLASMA.EXE <-- 9 KB exe, try it in DOSBox

it's ugly ugly code, i threw it together as fast as possible. the effect is surprisingly good using only 80x25 text mode!
DJAlexem

Post by DJAlexem »

Holy sh....

That looks epic, i downloaded the DOS one, just ran it in cmd.exe, that is the coolest console effect ive seen so far... (except for the matrix, i know its not real, but it is still #1 xD)

You guys are so pro, im just the admirer, the 'yes' man, a spectator....

beautiful work guys, keep it going!
Just a n00b C programmer, aiming to enter the world of advanced programming through OSDev :D

My Mixes
qw

Post by qw »

Wow, that plasma affect is cool. Who needs 1600 × 1200 × 16 M ?
pdurlej

Post by pdurlej »

Let me share with you this little screenie of the operating system of mine running:

http://www.durlej.net/sys/anncm.png
SoUrcerer

Post by SoUrcerer »

ss.png
VirtualBox running KolibriOS r#2208 (64mb RAM), which running KolibriOS (same version, 16 mb RAM) in DosBox (note that KolibriOS is 32 bit protected mode OS, not DOS shell).