What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
miker00lz

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by miker00lz »

rootnode wrote:I should add that the Kernel is written in C#. So it's still a very experimental thing and bugs can occur.
i wasn't even aware that you could compile something in C# that can run without the Windows API! i haven't really used it, but that surprises me. how do you go about writing a kernel in C#??
rootnode

Post by rootnode »

miker00lz wrote:
rootnode wrote:I should add that the Kernel is written in C#. So it's still a very experimental thing and bugs can occur.
i wasn't even aware that you could compile something in C# that can run without the Windows API! i haven't really used it, but that surprises me. how do you go about writing a kernel in C#??
Normally you can't compile C# to anything that can run without the windows API or mono runtime. But we're writing our own compiler to AOT C# code to machine code. We're then booting the kernel and the plan is to later, as soon as we're capable to compile the compiler with itself, we'll use the compiler as a VM to run drivers and applications. So the compiler is able to run as an AOT and JIT at the same time.
piranha

Post by piranha »

Big moment for me, I finally got pcc working on my OS! Basically, I am waaayyy too happy. I already had ld, as, newlib, etc ported, so I put the appropriate file on the hd image, and gave it a shot (actually, many shots to work out a couple bugs):

-JL
SeaOS: Adding VT-x, networking, and ARM support
dbittman on IRC, @danielbittman on twitter
https://dbittman.github.io
eddyb

Post by eddyb »

Kevin wrote:
Synon wrote:I really like the borders, how did you do that?
Have a look at the Codepage 437 character set, and I'm sure you'll figure out. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_characters is more to the point, I'd say.
miker00lz

Post by miker00lz »

piranha wrote:Big moment for me, I finally got pcc working on my OS! Basically, I am waaayyy too happy. I already had ld, as, newlib, etc ported, so I put the appropriate file on the hd image, and gave it a shot (actually, many shots to work out a couple bugs):

<screenshot cut out>

-JL
VERY nice! that looks sweet, good job. :)
miker00lz

Post by miker00lz »

rootnode wrote:
miker00lz wrote:
Normally you can't compile C# to anything that can run without the windows API or mono runtime. But we're writing our own compiler to AOT C# code to machine code. We're then booting the kernel and the plan is to later, as soon as we're capable to compile the compiler with itself, we'll use the compiler as a VM to run drivers and applications. So the compiler is able to run as an AOT and JIT at the same time.
that's pretty interesting, and good job. must be the first C# kernel ever. =D>

if you ever decide to release the source to your compiler alone, a lot of people would love that.
rootnode

Post by rootnode »

miker00lz wrote:that's pretty interesting, and good job. must be the first C# kernel ever. =D>

if you ever decide to release the source to your compiler alone, a lot of people would love that.
In fact, it's not :D There [is/was] SharpOS, EnsembleOS, CosmOS. All with the same goal, but all lacking a decent compiler to do so. So we created the MOSA Project to provide all projects with a common basis.

The source to our compiler is open, released and it's standalone. Our main repository is here https://github.com/mosa/MOSA-Project and the website can be found in my signature. You can find the compiler in Mosa.Tools.Compiler, which is based on Mosa.Runtime.CompilerFramework and Mosa.Platform.x86
melgmry0101b

Post by melgmry0101b »

Hi everyone;
my name is Mohamed Elghamry.
I have 14 years old.
And i am developing an operating system that is name is Genius Horizon OS.
Here is some screen shots:
--------------
http://mohamedsalah96.web.officelive.com
CWood

Post by CWood »

Nice Mozo! One thing I have to ask though, on that first screeny you posted, is that a progress bar, or just a pretty graphic? Otherwise, very well done, and loving the green!
Solar

Post by Solar »

piranha wrote:Big moment for me, I finally got pcc working on my OS!
Does that mean you're self-hosting? =D>

In my eyes the point where you don't need another OS to continue development is what seperates the men from the boys. Or rather, the "I did" from the "I tried".
Every good solution is obvious once you've found it.
piranha

Post by piranha »

Solar wrote: Does that mean you're self-hosting? =D>
Once I port nasm, make, bash, tar, and get pcc to compile my kernel (I don't know if it will), then yes it would seem very very close. Porting nasm doesn't seem too hard, nor does make. I need to have termios in place for bash I believe, and I don't know anything about tar. But yes, self-hosting is within sight! :D

-JL
SeaOS: Adding VT-x, networking, and ARM support
dbittman on IRC, @danielbittman on twitter
https://dbittman.github.io
Synon

Post by Synon »

I started again from scratch.

The name is just a portmanteau of Saxon and OS; because it's an OS and I'm of Anglo-Saxon heritage.
qw

Post by qw »

piranha wrote:But yes, self-hosting is within sight! :D
Congratulations! I guess I'll be a boy forever...
ecco

Post by ecco »

I found some Christmas themed VT100 files so I whipped up a quick emulator and set a 1ms delay for each byte displayed. The animation is actually pretty good minus a few issues due to my hacktastic VT100 emulation.

http://www.vt100.net/animation/
Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Why is a santa with three eyes giving me the finger?