What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Combuster
Libera.chat IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by Combuster »

known issue, and a wontfix as far as history's concerned. :wink:
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
eddyb

Post by eddyb »

@Creature: well, the founders were JamesM and bluecode and they've chosen a beer name (not sure, pcmattman could have been there, too).
Not my fault, and I really don't blame them, it's not that bad (but you do have to see the beer glass :P).

@Combuster: if that was for me, I didn't get it :?: .
Karlosoft

Post by Karlosoft »

A preview of my new bootloader. It support profiles and lots of commands. I'm adding the serial support and the parallel port to debug and load file from an other pc.
Attachments
bootloader1.PNG
bootloader1.PNG (8.32 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
CWood

Post by CWood »

Well its not much, but...

Xero MaLux 0.0.5 Kernel initialising. Now (finally) works in ISO 9660, after much hard work and effort to debug the boot loader. Now maybe for some advanced boot options?
Attachments
Xero 0.0.5 ISO 9660 BL.png
Xero 0.0.5 ISO 9660 BL.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 6277 times
Creature

Post by Creature »

death2all wrote:Well its not much, but...

Xero MaLux 0.0.5 Kernel initialising. Now (finally) works in ISO 9660, after much hard work and effort to debug the boot loader. Now maybe for some advanced boot options?
Everyone has to start small ;).

I think one of the worst mistakes you can make is to start all over again when you feel your OS is just buggy and needs to be different. I did that myself a couple of times (luckily I saw that it was useless) and it really takes a lot of time to reach the point you reached before the complete rewrite. If something is really buggy or should be completely different, IMHO you can best try and rewrite that part of your OS. It may take some time, but at least (when you're done), you'll still have everything else that does work properly :).
When the chance of succeeding is 99%, there is still a 50% chance of that success happening.
sancho1980

Post by sancho1980 »

heres a screenshot of my toy os, read the output to learn about it's features!
have a look at http://www.com-eu-nication.eu or check out directly under svn checkout http://mycrokernel.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ mycrokernel-read-only
mycrokernel.jpg
IanSeyler

Post by IanSeyler »

Latest version of BareMetal OS:

BareMetal OS - http://www.returninfinity.com/
Mono-tasking 64-bit OS for x86-64 based computers, written entirely in Assembly
smoothCoder

Post by smoothCoder »

@ReturnInfinity:

I like the top of you screenshot. Even done only in text mode, it looks great.
You could use color variations for the "■", in order to show an more precisely presentation of the porcentage.
Just for example: If 20% make the "■" to became black and 40% make it to became white, you could use grey to represent 30%.
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

There's some animated stuff we've got now that a screenshot doesn't do justice, so I made a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZu054HmPEw
cristian

Post by cristian »

xvedejas wrote:There's some animated stuff we've got now that a screenshot doesn't do justice, so I made a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZu054HmPEw
I really like the idea of interpreted, non-binary programs.I find it really secure.For example, and maybe it can be taken as a suggestion, an antivirus can be built in the interpreter, to prevent the execution of any malicious software.Now, there might be a little issue with the processing speed, but i don't think it will be such a big problem if you create some kind of pseudo assembly byte code(e.g. quake3 asm).It will also be a lot faster and easier to process it and execute it.Doing so you can easily modify an existing open source compiler, such as the GNU compilers to generate your pseudo assembly code, removing the need of creating a new compiler.However, the compiler needs to be compiled also, but you can do that on a sepparate machine running an other OS such as linux.I think you probably had that in mind, but maybe others didn't.
Now i still have some questions, such as, how are you going to build drivers for it?I think you should allow your OS to load and run binary formats, because some programs must be executed by the CPU.Maybe the paging is still needed.
Over all, this is a really original idea, and getting it done will make me a really happy human.

Good luck,
Cristian.
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Now i still have some questions, such as, how are you going to build drivers for it?I think you should allow your OS to load and run binary formats, because some programs must be executed by the CPU.Maybe the paging is still needed.
Over all, this is a really original idea, and getting it done will make me a really happy human.
So far our plan is to support elf-binary drivers as modules loaded by GRUB. Anything that doesn't interact directly with the hardware, however, will be interpreted. I'm glad you like our project :) though there's still a lot to do before we get to the cool stuff.
rdos

Post by rdos »

I could post some odd panic-type register dumps, but otherwise I don't think an OS should be visible. I've not developped any fancy user interface that is thightly integrated into the OS (like the graphical GUI of Windows). I think doing that is a bad idea. What I've done is to develop a cross-platform API that contains basic functionality that any sane OS should support, with no fancy functions. With this I can easily port applications between OSes. Today, my company has a commercial payment terminal for fueling stations that runs on top of RDOS, but which could be ported to Windows or Linux if this would become necesary in the future. We have about 20 installations that seems to be stable, and many more coming. So, I could also post the view of this application, which uses advanced animation, supports MP3 sound, and some basic widgets operated with a touch-screen.
VolTeK

Post by VolTeK »

Go for it, im sure we are interested in seeing it
Firestryke31

Post by Firestryke31 »

rdos wrote:I could post some odd panic-type register dumps, but otherwise I don't think an OS should be visible.
I think this thread is more of "Post what your OS is currently capable of, preferably in a screenshot of it running something (even if it's not much to look at)." I think about half of the screenshots here are of a program (or two) running on the OS (such as a shell), not the OS itself.
Owner of Fawkes Software.
Wierd Al wrote: You think your Commodore 64 is really neato,
What kind of chip you got in there, a Dorito?
rdos

Post by rdos »

OK, here is a snapshot made of our terminal (the png-file was created on RDOS):

Here is another example (the non-graphical command interpreter based on FreeDos FreeCom):
FreeCom for RDOS 9.0.2
Use @ before external command to detach

Internal commands available:
? CALL CAPTURE CD CHDIR CLS COMMAND COPY
DATE DEL DIR ECHO ERASE FD2FILE EXIT INFO
INITFD INITHD MD MKDIR MKPART MOUNT MOVE PART
PATH PAUSE PING PROMPT RD REBOOT REM RMDIR
RMPART SET STATE SYNCTIME SYSINFO TYPE TIME USB
VOLUME WAIT

z:>