What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
quok

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by quok »

pcmattman wrote:A picture says a thousand words - there's not much I can say about this one...

Clicky for image (1024x768).
Great! And now all Pedigree development will come to a halt as you'll likely be too busy or distracted with playing all those old DOS games. ;)
me239

Post by me239 »

DavidBG wrote:
me239 wrote:Still working on the bootloader. Here is my xOS in FreeDOS(xOS only uses BIOS interrupts)
Here is it's MessageBox function :)
At least you got a mouse! I'm still trying to get mouse for the UOS. (My OS)

I do have program execution though!

David
No, don't get your hopes up. That mouse was part of FreeDOS, not mine. I don't need mouse input just yet. I've heard mouse input is easy, but I've never tried it. I'm still working on program execution without much luck. :(
smoothCoder

Post by smoothCoder »

54616E6E6572 wrote:@Jezze, Well I started work on it last December and worked on it for 2 months, then it went on hiatus for 6 months, and I started work again about last week. I've done nothing but code since, I started the project again. Having the manuals to all the hardware specs helps too. So the answer to the question would be, I've actually coded on it maybe 2-3 months total time.
I wrote my quantOS in the same time, LOL!
And I have assembled the computer from the parts of my old mountain bike, in let see, about 2 weeks.
Regrettably I can not provide screenshots becouse you should know that attempting to read quantum state, alters the state and my computer hung.

QuantOS & quantum compiler & APIs will release very soon, just keep waiting.

Cheers!
Candy

Post by Candy »

smoothCoder wrote:Regrettably I can not provide screenshots becouse you should know that attempting to read quantum state, alters the state and my computer hung.
Your project is in a superstate of being done and not being done, and the only way we can use it is to collapse the waveform first and then try to use it...
smoothCoder

Post by smoothCoder »

Candy wrote:
smoothCoder wrote:Regrettably I can not provide screenshots becouse you should know that attempting to read quantum state, alters the state and my computer hung.
Your project is in a superstate of being done and not being done, and the only way we can use it is to collapse the waveform first and then try to use it...
Don't forget the other pretty important requirement - an preferible disused mountain bike. And much viewing of the Numbers serial.. :P
Last edited by smoothCoder on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neolander

Post by Neolander »

pcmattman wrote:A picture says a thousand words - there's not much I can say about this one...

Clicky for image (1024x768).
You might want to fix this little orange line on the top, otherwise great work ! ;)
pcmattman
Libera.chat IRC: miselin

Post by pcmattman »

The orange line is the text user interface's header: it's supposed to be there :). Soon SDL apps will run with a framebuffer that's a child of the terminal's framebuffer so they only sit within the terminal area rather then override half the screen.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Got to fix up some bits of network code, but that's hard to capture in a screen shot. I could make one of ping receiving 0 answers, but not complaining about unknown target host, but that's fairly unimpressive.

Instead, here's the login screen. Stuff that now works:
- Userspace (this is a userspace login application). That includes userspace malloc()ing.
- Font rendering with a built-in font. It's temporarily until I have some nice fonts & rendering support for them, but until then it's a good enough font.
- Userland filesystem access. The logo is a bmp file on the ext2 filesystem.
- Userland GUI access. The stuff inside the colorful border is userland filled, the border itself is kernel-drawn from a theme bmp file. Replacing that with something less ugly is nearly trivial, but a TBD.

Stuff to fix up:
- It asks you to push a button to log in, but there's no communcation from the kernel to userspace yet. You can't receive a keypress.
- The colors are so messed up and look very ugly. The rendering subsystem I'm testing with this is not far from allowing alphablended themes, so I should create a better theme file to show that with.
- I haven't even decided on a background color for windows. I really need to do that :-)
- Add crypto support so login can function securely. I was considering skein-512, but of course I can switch that stuff around later on. At the very least, add a libcrypto.
- Add user support. There are already user contexts for switching users (since each window has a parent context, this runs in the one for user 0). They just need to be used by login (and login needs to have a syscall to do that with).
- Add loadable font support.

And the big items
- Writing to a filesystem
- Creating a terminal emulator to run a shell in (sounds like a very feasible project given what I have now)
- Porting GCC
- Creating processes and threads
Attachments
loginscreen.png
Last edited by Candy on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forgot the screenie - big bad oops
ehenkes

Post by ehenkes »

PrettyOS (German open source OS project for x86):

heap logger:
available due to a kernel-malloc "with comment":

Code: Select all

void* malloc(uint32_t size, uint32_t alignment, char* comment);
helps us to avoid memory leaks

start into vesa bios extensions:

start:
lemonyii

Post by lemonyii »

After a long time, and many difficulties, my os can be call an os now.
It is(or will be) an os with mkernel,multi-thread,vfs,gui,and some advanced hardware support.
but i have many jobs to do, especially that i feel my mkernel is slow(in msg passing and mem allocating).
And hardware is a disease for me, i havent been able to use IOAPIC for long, and i hate ACPI,PCI, which is said to be designed for a easy configuration, but in fact so complex.
it can support extreamly high resoloutions (2048*1536 in vmware, i can't find higher) now.The picture is the startup screen of kernel.
i don't know if i can post a pic, i tried before but all failed. i read the turtorl,but i dont want a pic from google :mrgreen: .
Attachments
triveos.jpg
Enjoy my life!------A fish with a tattooed retina
Candy

Post by Candy »

Current state: I can just about login. Press Altgr-L (or Win-L if your OS passes those on to the VM), then type a username + enter, then type a password + enter. Screenie of the password just entered below.
Attachments
loginscreen2.png
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I'm writing a OS for TI-83/84 calculators. Here is it's boot screen:

This calculators have a 96x63 screen.
I'm going to post some screens of it running after I get a release shell, since I'm doing just tests with it at the time. :)
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Messing around with drawing our new-and-improved bitmap font to screen :)
eddyb

Post by eddyb »

After having lots of problems on the way, I managed to get a (somewhat) functional webcam driver than runs in Pedigree.
I present you, the (I hope so) first webcam driver ever seen on these forums (or on any OS that can be called a hobby OS):

NOTE: You can see the blueish aspect of the whole picture and a few lines where it's greenish. It took me a while to make the screenshot because I don't apply the luminosity corrections the device is giving, and the result is messy and appears to have random corruption.
Creature

Post by Creature »

@eddyb: That's amazing, I wish I made enough progress to do something 'revolutionary' in the hobby OS world as well ;).

Off-topic: I noticed this quite some time ago (others probably did too), but I hope you do know that Pedigree is also the name of a chain of dog food. You did know that, right? :P Not that it should make the name bad, I like the name, it's just I wanted you to know that some people may see it differently if they hadn't seen the beer glass on the splash screen, please excuse my 'un-subtleness' ;)

@xvedejas: Lookin' nice. I lost graphics support (at least until I get drivers or an emulator up and running) when I decided to port to x86-64.
When the chance of succeeding is 99%, there is still a 50% chance of that success happening.