What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
xvedejas

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by xvedejas »

assainator wrote:Heey Valix, that looks good!

But are that blue and dark-purple pixels above the green rectangle supposed to be there?
I'm pretty sure that's from uninitialized memory; I don't bother to clear the screen :P
Synon

Post by Synon »

xvedejas wrote:

But are that blue and dark-purple pixels above the green rectangle supposed to be there?
I'm pretty sure that's from uninitialized memory; I don't bother to clear the screen :P
I don't see any :S
StephanvanSchaik

Post by StephanvanSchaik »

Not seeing any, are you sure your LCD-screen or TFT-screen doesn't have any defect pixels?

Regards,
Stephan J.R. van Schaik.
fronty

Post by fronty »

The blue pixel is definitely there. If it isn't, I'm selling a screen which has magical dead pixel which moves when you scroll.
StephanvanSchaik

Post by StephanvanSchaik »

fronty wrote:The blue pixel is definitely there. If it isn't, I'm selling a screen which has magical dead pixel which moves when you scroll.
I had to put my hands on the screen to actually see it, but I only see one, so I'm wondering if there are any others.

Regards,
Stephan J.R. van Schaik.
Firestryke31

Post by Firestryke31 »

My latest project, the Vixen UEFI implementation for BIOS-based computers, similar to Intel's DUET. Why not just use that, you ask? Well, why not just use Windows, Linux or OS X? So far it has a partition bootsector that will parse the EFI partition file system (big whoop, it's just FAT32), load /EFI/VIXEN/VIXENROM.BIN, and run it. That will then set up the basic environment, go to protected mode, and run the C code there. That will then set up the text output driver, and use it to output a string. I'm so thrilled, I made the screenshot animated.

Ooh, fancy!

I still have an absolutely massive to do list (the tables I do have are half-implemented if even that, and I'm not even to the point where I can use that shiny new CRC32 function I needed help with earlier) but the fact that I know how to implement the protocols definitely will help speed things up.
Owner of Fawkes Software.
Wierd Al wrote: You think your Commodore 64 is really neato,
What kind of chip you got in there, a Dorito?
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Really simple font driver now :)

[EDIT] updated screenshot

The text scrolls up as it is printed, just as expected. I need to implement some sort of cursor so that text input looks more natural. I made the font myself, you'll notice that each character fits in a 5x6 space, which lets me represent each letter as a 32-bit integer. It's convenient for the time being.
Last edited by xvedejas on Sat May 01, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neolander

Post by Neolander »

After months of design considerations, documentation hell, various wall-banging, slow coding, and computer overheating due to Bochs, I'm finally one step closer towards being done with my bootstrap 32-bit kernel and starting work on the 64-bit C++ one. Because finally, I'm done collecting information needed for the main kernel to boot. I feel so proud, right now... :cry:
full_kernel_info.png
I know, it sucks compared to what's around. It's just some debug info displayed using some debug routines (that I'm proud of too) in a pretty fashion. But well... I guess that's what parents feel facing their child who just stood. :mrgreen:
f2

Post by f2 »

xvedejas wrote:Really simple font driver now :)

The text scrolls up as it is printed, just as expected. I need to implement some sort of cursor so that text input looks more natural. I made the font myself, you'll notice that each character fits in a 5x6 space, which lets me represent each letter as a 32-bit integer. It's convenient for the time being.
Wow. That's look great! I like also this font. A bit small but I like :D
"Open source seems to embrace the dark side of human nature." - Ville Turjanmaa
neonz

Post by neonz »

After two months, finally got somewhere.

Screen after booting and demonstration of VER and UPTIME commands of SHELL program:
20100504-startup.png
And I've ported Brainfuck interpretator (of corse, it was more work with fixing bugs in my C library, than doing anything with bfi.c). :)
20100504-brainfuck.png
rJah

Post by rJah »

I just got threads to work, woooohoooo 8)
tasks1.png
tasks1.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
This is not a productive area of discussion
Synon

Post by Synon »

On this I have a working GDT and IDT and a semi-working IRQ handler (which doesn't seem to re-enable interrupts before leaving, so only one clock tick is displayed (even though immediately before IRET it executes STI)).

Anyway, here's a screenshot of it during booting. The function that prints the boot splash is called hooray().

piranha

Post by piranha »

On this I have a working GDT and IDT and a semi-working IRQ handler (which doesn't seem to re-enable interrupts before leaving, so only one clock tick is displayed (even though immediately before IRET it executes STI)).
Are you sure you're ack'ing the interrupt?

-JL
SeaOS: Adding VT-x, networking, and ARM support
dbittman on IRC, @danielbittman on twitter
https://dbittman.github.io
Synon

Post by Synon »

piranha wrote:
Are you sure you're ack'ing the interrupt?

-JL
I reset the PICs as soon as an IRQ is called, so yes. I'll see if other interrupts (non-clock related ones) work after the clock interrupt...

Code: Select all

if (rs.interrupt >= 40)
		outb(0xA0, 0x20); /* Reset slave */
	outb(0x20, 0x20); /* Reset master */
Edit: Also, putting this:

Code: Select all

for (;;)
        sti();
made the clock work; so it seems most likely a problem with enabling interrupts again.
froggey

Post by froggey »

Synon wrote:even though immediately before IRET it executes STI.
You don't need to do this, in fact it's probably a bad idea: if your code gets interrupted while IRQs are disabled, for example because of a CPU exception, you would end up briefly enabling IRQs even if the code was expecting them to be disabled. IRET will automatically load the copy of eflags that got saved on the stack when the interrupt occurred, and that will restore the state of IF (the IRQ enable bit in eflags).