What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Creature

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by Creature »

YaOSp (I presume it's YaOSp since that's what's in your signature :)) looks very nice. I want to reimplement my graphics as well (doing a complete rewrite at the moment), but I know if I start now I'll get sidetracked with it and will lose attention for other important components.
When the chance of succeeding is 99%, there is still a 50% chance of that success happening.
Love4Boobies

Post by Love4Boobies »

giszo got my attention with YaOSp from the moment I saw the screenshot of him running Quake on it. :D
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.", Popular Mechanics (1949)
[ Project UDI ]
Synon

Post by Synon »

Wow, YaOSp is awesome. At first, I was trying to figure out what you were showing us. I was thinking, "Well, that's just a terminal emulator on Linux or BSD or something. Where's Qemu or Bochs?"

Then I realised.

Nice work!
piranha

Post by piranha »

It's been a while since I posted here...

There much more going on (obviously) than is shown, like startup configuration scripts being executed, etc...

I did these three screenshots on the same build and run, on different virtual terminals (because I can).

First one: Running a sort of process lister that updated every tenth of a second:

Second one: The last part of the boot up screen, logging in, and running a test script that lists the modules loaded:

Third one: Listing the contents of /bin/ (effectively listing the ported/installed/available programs [most of which work, except for a lot of the binutils package]):

There is a total of two (three?) music references, again, because I can.

-JL
SeaOS: Adding VT-x, networking, and ARM support
dbittman on IRC, @danielbittman on twitter
https://dbittman.github.io
IanSeyler

Post by IanSeyler »

How about a video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tChRnieYiIc

The flashing blocks in the top left corner show CPU activity. The text in the top right show interrupt activity.
BareMetal OS - http://www.returninfinity.com/
Mono-tasking 64-bit OS for x86-64 based computers, written entirely in Assembly
Creature

Post by Creature »

ReturnInfinity wrote:How about a video?

The flashing blocks in the top left corner show CPU activity. The text in the top right show interrupt activity.
I think I saw a small bug there: at 0:20 when the text is going to disappear under the flashing blocks, the "CPU" word becomes partially brown.
When the chance of succeeding is 99%, there is still a 50% chance of that success happening.
jal

Post by jal »

Creature wrote:I think I saw a small bug there: at 0:20 when the text is going to disappear under the flashing blocks, the "CPU" word becomes partially brown.
Heh, indeed, it seems the CPU text doesn't set the attributes...

JAL
eddyb

Post by eddyb »

Creature wrote:
ReturnInfinity wrote:How about a video?

I think I saw a small bug there: at 0:20 when the text is going to disappear under the flashing blocks, the "CPU" word becomes partially brown.
I'd say it forgets to clear the attributes, because it happens just after the brown "> " (notice the space) gets "under" the first two letters of "CPU" :) .

EDIT: I think the forum should warn if a new post has been made while I was writing mine...
jal

Post by jal »

eddyb wrote:EDIT: I think the forum should warn if a new post has been made while I was writing mine...
Errr... it actually does that!

JAL
IanSeyler

Post by IanSeyler »

Thanks :) That glitch was already resolved as it was mainly just for show.

This was the code:

Code: Select all

mov rdi, 0x00000000000B8000
	mov al, 'C'	; So horrible
	stosb
	add rdi, 1
	mov al, 'P'
	stosb
	add rdi, 1
	mov al, 'U'
	stosb
	add rdi, 1
	mov al, ' '
	stosb
	add rdi, 1
Note the comment :)

It was later changed to this:

Code: Select all

mov rdi, 0x00000000000B8000
	mov rax, 0x0720075507500743	; 'CPU '
	stosq
If you have 64-bit registers you might as well use them! In the current version just the flashing blocks show up on the right of the screen (No text).
BareMetal OS - http://www.returninfinity.com/
Mono-tasking 64-bit OS for x86-64 based computers, written entirely in Assembly
neoclaw

Post by neoclaw »

Love4Boobies wrote:giszo got my attention with YaOSp from the moment I saw the screenshot of him running Quake on it. :D
I worked a little with YaOSp, and yes, it runs quake 1 ;) But as far as I know there isn't any keyboard or sound support yet, so it runs VERY fast through the in-game demo. But that's just details :P The most important thing is that it runs! :D
giszo you did a very nice work on the OS. Really! And just to let you know, I have plans of coming back to your project and work on small things again ^^
I check your SVN log about 2-3 times a week. lol, so I haven't forgotten the project.
pcmattman
Libera.chat IRC: miselin

Post by pcmattman »

I just implemented support for outputting the kernel log via UDP. Technically it's possible to have as many log callbacks as you want, so you could send log output to many different computers with this system. Or just one, which is all I need to do :)

The screenshot shows Wireshark sniffing the Host <-> QEMU connection, my terminal running "netcat" and Pedigree itself. Note the login message is old, whilst the Foster release image did have a changed message we haven't actually changed the one in our repository yet.

Image is here (linked as it's 250 KB, and the forum limit is 128 KB. It's also ~ 1680x1050).
brodeur235

Post by brodeur235 »

Dex, you're my hero. An awesome looking OS and a COD4 GUI theme?! Ridiculous. Well done.

Brodeur235
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Just got a basic VESA/VBE driver going in protected mode. Got put_pixel() and fill_rect() :)

This is a test:
Attachments
valixscreen.png
valixscreen.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
assainator

Post by assainator »

Heey Valix, that looks good!

But are that blue and dark-purple pixels above the green rectangle supposed to be there?
Every human has to do something idiot to prevent becoming a complete one