What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
jal

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by jal »

Tommy wrote:I started writing full applications, including a small calculator.
It must be pretty cool to have your OS developed up to a point you can actually develop apps for it.

JAL
f2

Post by f2 »

The GUI is sufficiently complete to allow me to write applications.
Hydrogen OS is an "embedded OS", so many applications will be integrated to the OS binary, even when
it is possible to load from disk. This can be useful.
"Open source seems to embrace the dark side of human nature." - Ville Turjanmaa
Coty

Post by Coty »

Tommy wrote:And another screenshot of Hydrogen OS:
I started writing full applications, including a small calculator.
Cool, its looking very nice =D>
Hydrogen OS is an "embedded OS", so many applications will be integrated to the OS binary,
I like this because you only have to load it in to memory once and then the inbeded apps run off of RAM like puppy linux, witch less loading and less wear and tear on the disk :)
My hero, is Mel.
f2

Post by f2 »

Coddy wrote: I like this because you only have to load it in to memory once and then the inbeded apps run off of RAM like puppy linux, witch less loading and less wear and tear on the disk :)
All OS code is located in the conventional memory, and the maximum size of the OS binary is 512 Kbytes (97 KB for the current version).
So there is enough space to add a lot of things.
"Open source seems to embrace the dark side of human nature." - Ville Turjanmaa
hrniels

Post by hrniels »

I've just put the current version of my OS, "Escape", online, so I thought I post it here so that you can see and comment it :)
You can find a short description, screenshots and downloads here: http://script-solution.de/escape

@Hydrogen OS:
Looks really cool! :)
I'm wondering about the display "FPS: 27". Are you redrawing the whole screen as fast as possible? Or how does it work / what does it mean?
jal

Post by jal »

hrniels wrote:I've just put the current version of my OS, "Escape", online, so I thought I post it here so that you can see and comment it
Impressive, especially since you're working less than a year on it. Are you trying to be POSIX compliant?

JAL
hrniels

Post by hrniels »

jal wrote:Impressive, especially since you're working less than a year on it. Are you trying to be POSIX compliant?
Not really. I don't plan to port user-apps some day, because I want to write them myself. So ATM there is no need for being POSIX-compliant. But perhaps I'll add a compatibility-layer later.
AndreaOrru

Post by AndreaOrru »

hrniels wrote:I've just put the current version of my OS, "Escape", online, so I thought I post it here so that you can see and comment it :)
You can find a short description, screenshots and downloads here: http://script-solution.de/escape
Really nice! Do you have an online repo?
Close the world, txEn eht nepO
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

I've joined forces with essial and he's started with the video mode API. So far it only works in qemu but it's a start. (mouse works by the way :) )

Picture here:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4908 ... shotzn.png

You can find our site in my signature.
hrniels

Post by hrniels »

andreaorru wrote:Really nice! Do you have an online repo?
No, but you can download the source-code on the mentioned website, too.
xvedejas wrote:Picture here:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4908 ... shotzn.png
Nice colorfade :)
jal

Post by jal »

hrniels wrote:Not really. I don't plan to port user-apps some day, because I want to write them myself. So ATM there is no need for being POSIX-compliant. But perhaps I'll add a compatibility-layer later.
I was asking since what I can see from the commands and output etc. it looks awfully like Linux/Unix. Not bad per se, but if you're not going to be POSIX compliant, I'd personally opt for something more "original" (though I'm not saying you should, of course).

JAL
hrniels

Post by hrniels »

jal wrote:I was asking since what I can see from the commands and output etc. it looks awfully like Linux/Unix. Not bad per se, but if you're not going to be POSIX compliant, I'd personally opt for something more "original" (though I'm not saying you should, of course).
Yes, many (but not all) user-apps look like the ones from Linux/Unix. Thats because:
- I don't want to make anything different just to make it different
- Many things in Linux/Unix are not bad and most people are used to them
However, I'm trying to go my own way (and I think, I've done it with some parts), but it should still make sense and be usable. And thats not easy.
jal

Post by jal »

hrniels wrote:However, I'm trying to go my own way (and I think, I've done it with some parts), but it should still make sense and be usable. And thats not easy.
True, Unix has about 40 years going for it :).

JAL
kubeos

Post by kubeos »

FINALLY!!!! Self-hosting is so close.. just need to port unzip or something so I can archive up my kernel sources and give them a fresh native compile.

EDIT: :lol: This could be mistaken for DOS. Maybe I should add some colors to my shell.
Attachments
kube-sept-09.JPG
jal

Post by jal »

kubeos wrote:This could be mistaken for DOS. Maybe I should add some colors to my shell.
I had colours in DOS! ANSI.SYS FTW!

Very refreshing to see a non-POSIX like CLI though.

JAL