What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
gravaera
Location: Supporting the cause: Use \tabs to indent code. NOT \x20 spaces.

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by gravaera »

I'm actually excited to see that you've got to buttons, and all that. I'm assuming that means you already have a (partly, at least) working API for Graphical functions, right?

Working with that assumption, i think it's a good time to ask you: how hard do you think it would be, theoretically, to implement a layer between your API and the calling application, that is able to act as a handler for API calls from Win32 applications, and translate them down to your own API?

I'm asking for the sake of knowing since I'm want to do something similar in my OS. Do you think it's possible? How long do you think it would take to build one that can run at least basic win32 apps? (I'm assuming months to years)

How long did it take you to write the API for your own OS as it is right now?

-Beautiful work
gravaera
Last edited by gravaera on Sat May 26, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17:56 < sortie> Paging is called paging because you need to draw it on pages in your notebook to succeed at it.
f2

Post by f2 »

For now, my OS doesn't support multitasking yet and isn't capable of executing applications. I have all summer to make it!
holypanl wrote:I'm assuming that means you already have a (partly, at least) working API for Graphical functions, right?
Yes. For now, the API has twenty functions. All written in assembler.
holypanl wrote:Working with that assumption, i think it's a good time to ask you: how hard do you think it would be, theoretically, to implement a layer between your API and the calling application, that is able to act as a handler for API calls from Win32 applications, and translate them down to your own API?
Make an OS compatible with Win32 applications is a good idea, but I don't implement this feature in my OS.
holypanl wrote:I'm asking for the sake of knowing since I'm want to do something similar in my OS. Do you think it's possible?
It is possible! If I could do it, everyone here can do it! Look Solar_OS.
holypanl wrote:How long did it take you to write the API for your own OS as it is right now?
Only 2 months. But my API is far from complete.

A small question: My English is good?
"Open source seems to embrace the dark side of human nature." - Ville Turjanmaa
gravaera

Post by gravaera »

Yup. I'm pretty good with grammar, and I see hardly any problems with your English at all. There are people on the internet who have been speaking English their whole lives and can't even type a full sentence.

Your English is, compared to about 80% of the rest of the internet, very good. I'm sure everyone here will confirm that. ^_^
17:56 < sortie> Paging is called paging because you need to draw it on pages in your notebook to succeed at it.
f2

Post by f2 »

holypanl wrote:Your English is, compared to about 80% of the rest of the internet, very good. I'm sure everyone here will confirm that. ^_^
Oh, thanks! I do a lot of progress. :D
Troy Martin

Post by Troy Martin »

Nice looking GUI so far! You should implement a simple terminal window so you can execute commands :)

And you write in English very well and fluently. Like holypanl said, there have been many people here previously who had such terrible grammar and structure it led to a sequence of events and flamewars that got them (along with other members of the community) permanently banned. :shock:
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
I wish I could add more tex
f2

Post by f2 »

Troy Martin wrote:You should implement a simple terminal window so you can execute commands :)
This is planned!
Last edited by f2 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
ehenkes

Post by ehenkes »

After playing with the building blocks of an OS and writing a tutorial about it
http://www.henkessoft.de/OS_Dev/OS_Dev1.htm
http://www.henkessoft.de/OS_Dev/OS_Dev2.htm

I now try to design a real usable Demo OS (called PrettyOS)
http://www.henkessoft.de/OS_Dev/Bilder/Shell_001.PNG
http://www.henkessoft.de/OS_Dev/OS_Dev3.htm
http://www.c-plusplus.de/forum/viewforu ... is-62.html (German Forum; english speakers welcome)
Last edited by ehenkes on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coty

Post by Coty »

@ehenkes: some of that tutorial may come in handy, thanks =D>
My hero, is Mel.
Troy Martin

Post by Troy Martin »

If you can read/write German :)

Google Translate is not to be trusted. It can make "pinch of salt" into "pile of rocks".
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
I wish I could add more tex
JohnnyTheDon

Post by JohnnyTheDon »

Troy Martin wrote:If you can read/write German :)

Google Translate is not to be trusted. It can make "pinch of salt" into "pile of rocks".
You don't want to throw a pile of rocks over your shoulder when you spill the salt.
gravaera

Post by gravaera »

I sat down for about two minutes, trying to understand that, I came up totally blank. Nice. =P~ . I wonder: can anyone else figure it out, or am I the only one who can't? IT just irks me that I couldn't get it, for some reason. :|

EDIT: Google Translate isn't all that bad, actually. I'm reading through his article right now, and It's generally understandable as translated. Not THAT bad.

VERY informative article, by the way.
Steve the Pirate

Post by Steve the Pirate »

holypanl wrote:Working with that assumption, i think it's a good time to ask you: how hard do you think it would be, theoretically, to implement a layer between your API and the calling application, that is able to act as a handler for API calls from Win32 applications, and translate them down to your own API?

I'm asking for the sake of knowing since I'm want to do something similar in my OS. Do you think it's possible? How long do you think it would take to build one that can run at least basic win32 apps? (I'm assuming months to years)
Possible? Yes. Practical? No.

You might be able to write an API that is like Win32, and lets you recompile extremely simple windows programs (i.e. a Hello World application) and run them, but it's a pointless pursuit to try and make your operating system Windows compatible. The Wine project has many contributors, some of them employed full time with Codeweavers, and they have been going for 16 years to get to where they are now. Exponentially easier (but still very difficult for one person or a very small team) would be to get your OS to the point where it can run X and Wine...
My Site | My Blog
Symmetry - My operating system.
Coty

Post by Coty »

I can understand bits and peaces I started reading a book on "how to speak German" and... I kinda gave on after chapter 2 or three :oops: But anyway I can understand it some....

@all: I found Yahoo! babble fish more accurate than Google translation :D
My hero, is Mel.
OwnzMag3

Post by OwnzMag3 »

I'm German and I can speak it. I might think about translating it.
Birthplace: Germany
Project: I don't have a name yet. I'm bad with names. haha.
Programming languages: Java, C#, C++ (so-so)
Languages: English and Deutsch.
rootnode

Post by rootnode »

We're finally able to read the multiboot header.
Attachments
MosaKernel.png