What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
bontanu

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by bontanu »

earlz wrote:Wow are you kidding me... you implemented all that, but still haven't got around to implementing the keyboard :shock: (according to website..)
No way.... The keyboard is working OK in Solar_OS. Where from did you got this idea ? (where on the site?) After all you have to use the keyboard to edit that ASM source code in source editor ;)
Really great project and all... I don't like how it's closed source though(and a strict freeware license at that even)
There is nothing wrong about closed source in today world IMHO. Open source is bad because it allows people to copy paste instead of understanding. Free for commercial purpose is also bad because it allows people and/or companies to use your work in order to make money with no payment for your work.
Have you been working on this since 2001?
I can not remember anymore. Most likely I have been working more seriously at it since 2004 as the older screen shots show. I see now that my own copyright notice is from 2001 ... maybe I should revise that :D

I might have had a boot loader and some drawing in 2001... However I do take huge pauses at development. Sometimes a few years long... most times 6-9 months pauses each year and then work a lot a few days or weekends when my real life tasks allow me to do so.

Hence my overall accumulated work time for this projects is estimated under 1-2 years (from what I can remember) but keep in mind that Eugen and Hawk contributed with time and work also.
Also, I think Sol_ASM is a pretty neat project also.
One of those top best 2% projects there really..
Thanks for your kind words... but I think that you exaggerate a little...

Sol_Asm was developed in parallel with Solar_OS in the last few years in order to make me independent of standard tool chains. It is very useful to me and it might be usefully to others but it would make them slightly dependent on me. However one can use it as an initial tool to create your own set of tools and achieve independence ;)

For fun you might also want to check my older multiplayer RTS Game named "Hostile Encounter" here: http://www.oby.ro/rts/index.html

Again this big game in done in full/strict ASM and programmed together with Eugen and my brother Cristian and Adina for the GFX. We have converted HE RTS to Sol_Asm syntax and a new release might appear. One day this game will run on Solar_OS ;)

Here is another screen shot with my new SOL_FS file system that is being worked on currently. You can also notice the OS installer application in the background. Re-Installing Solos to your HDD takes only a few seconds.

Regards,
Bogdan Ontanu
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy; Solar_OS http://www.oby.ro/os/
earlz

Post by earlz »

So you created your own filesystem? will you be releasing specs or anything on it so that we can have a look and possibly implement it in our own OS?
bontanu

Post by bontanu »

earlz wrote:So you created your own filesystem? will you be releasing specs or anything on it so that we can have a look and possibly implement it in our own OS?
Yes, I will release the specifications and implementation guidelines and you will be free to use in your own OS.
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy; Solar_OS http://www.oby.ro/os/
brodeur235

Post by brodeur235 »

This barely qualifies for an OS, but I've wanted to post in this thread since I joined these forums, and I stayed up overnight several times just to get what I have to show you here... Pathetic perhaps? Anyways...
Hopefully this minimal OS improves shortly,

Brodeur235
flyingdoodltartz

Post by flyingdoodltartz »

lol, no worries, my os is just about as far as yours is ;). most people don't even make it past making a bootloader i bet :).
"I don't take advice from freshmen in high school" - when your programming, age doesn't matter

"if you think your running fast, run faster." - track coach

"Back in my day, I had a pimped out ride." - physics teacher
jal

Post by jal »

flyingdoodltartz wrote:most people don't even make it past making a bootloader i bet :).
Which is why I use GRUB :). I doubt I'll ever post here though.

JAL
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

jal wrote:
flyingdoodltartz wrote:most people don't even make it past making a bootloader i bet :).
I doubt I'll ever post here though.

JAL
Why's that?
jal

Post by jal »

JamesM wrote:Why's that?
Because I see no use in posting screen shots. It's very easy (if you are a designer anyway) to make pretty pictures, but making an OS is largely what goes on under the hood. That, and the slow pace at which my OS is evolving pretty much means the next 5 years won't see much more than some grey text on a black background.

JAL
Troy Martin

Post by Troy Martin »

I'll post screenshots once people stop bashing my work. :(
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
I wish I could add more tex
whowhatwhere

Post by whowhatwhere »

Troy Martin wrote:I'll post screenshots once people stop bashing everyone's work. :(
Fixed that for you.
Troy Martin

Post by Troy Martin »

Hahahahahaha!

Well, now that mah thread is locked, I'll grab a screenie later today (read: in seven hours) and post it here. It won't be too impressive, but it's a start.

Math class starts in about ten minutes. Whee.
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
dynespj

Post by dynespj »

I'm still thinking of a cool name for my OS but for now its Doors OS. This is just a simple kernel with keyboard support and memory management. I'm working on a floppy interface right now.

Happy Coding!
Troy Martin

Post by Troy Martin »

... I see no image, just "Image" :)

But I assume it looks good, I think I know where "Doors" comes from! :mrgreen:
VolTeK

Post by VolTeK »

nice, the doors, name from the band? it looks nice
flyingdoodltartz

Post by flyingdoodltartz »

man, even the simple OSes are farther than me xD. all i have is a bootloader that loads the kernel from the floppy and switches to protected mode. all the kernel is is a command line without any useful functions right now xD.
"I don't take advice from freshmen in high school" - when your programming, age doesn't matter

"if you think your running fast, run faster." - track coach

"Back in my day, I had a pimped out ride." - physics teacher