When your OS goes crazy - Screenshots

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Colonel Kernel

Re: When your OS goes crazy - Screenshots

Post by Colonel Kernel »

Craze Frog wrote:I've already had three Microsoft HQL certified drivers (one written by Microsoft) on this computer which shouldn't have passed the certification because they blatantly violates the specifications by huge amounts (up to 130 times as long block as maximium allowed). If MS can't take the blame for certifying drivers that don't comply with their own specifications, who can?
Are you running a 64-bit version of Windows? Are the drivers you mention signed? Just curious...
Top three reasons why my OS project died:
  1. Too much overtime at work
  2. Got married
  3. My brain got stuck in an infinite loop while trying to design the memory manager
Don't let this happen to you!
Craze Frog

Post by Craze Frog »

Colonel Kernel wrote:
Craze Frog wrote:I've already had three Microsoft HQL certified drivers (one written by Microsoft) on this computer which shouldn't have passed the certification because they blatantly violates the specifications by huge amounts (up to 130 times as long block as maximium allowed). If MS can't take the blame for certifying drivers that don't comply with their own specifications, who can?
Are you running a 64-bit version of Windows? Are the drivers you mention signed? Just curious...
The Windows is 32-bit. It turns out that the drivers weren't signed by MSHQL (I think). Microsoft's own driver is signed by "Microsoft Windows Component Publisher". Broadcom's driver I have upgraded (new driver released after I had problems, so I had the latest version by then), but the new one is signed by "Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher". Nvidia's driver is signed by "Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher".
qw

Post by qw »

Shrek wrote:Thats possibly a hardware issue . Most the time windows crashes due to poorly written third party drivers , Microsoft cannot take the blame for that .
I disagree. Third party drivers are developed according the OS developer's specifications, and the OS should sensibly handle drivers that misbehave.

Roel
Colonel Kernel

Post by Colonel Kernel »

Hobbes wrote:
Shrek wrote:Thats possibly a hardware issue . Most the time windows crashes due to poorly written third party drivers , Microsoft cannot take the blame for that .
I disagree. Third party drivers are developed according the OS developer's specifications, and the OS should sensibly handle drivers that misbehave.

Roel
Not possible when drivers corrupt kernel data structures, unfortunately. This is why many classes of drivers were moved into user space in Vista. Some still have to run in kernel mode, though, and those can hose your system.
Top three reasons why my OS project died:
  1. Too much overtime at work
  2. Got married
  3. My brain got stuck in an infinite loop while trying to design the memory manager
Don't let this happen to you!
dcorbe

Post by dcorbe »

This happened after adding GNU's multiboot.h as an include file for most of the source files for my system :(

Post by 01000101 »

dcorbe: haha, I can see myself in that IRC client window! :)
Darwish

Post by Darwish »

Attached was my first try of a 'Hello World!' using printf(), the result was quite funny :):
Attachments
Screenshot-2.png
For latest news, please check my homepage and my blog.
—Darwish
finarfin

Post by finarfin »

Darwish wrote:Attached was my first try of a 'Hello World!' using printf(), the result was quite funny :):
raining "char" ^__^
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo
- DreamOS64 - My latest attempt with osdev: https://github.com/dreamos82/Dreamos64
- Osdev Notes - My notes about osdeving! https://github.com/dreamos82/Osdev-Notes
- My old Os Project: https://github.com/dreamos82/DreamOs
StephanvanSchaik

Post by StephanvanSchaik »

The screenshot attached was made when I was implementing my hexadecimal display function. The problem however was that it went into a loop ad infinitum :lol:.

Regards,
Stephan J.R. van Schaik.
Attachments
deadbeef[1].png
deadbeef[1].png (7.79 KiB) Viewed 17382 times
Andr3w

Post by Andr3w »

Lol... I was rewriting my ScrollScreen routine to 16-bit realmode... :D

AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

You guys are lucky. My OS just freezes or goes blank.
My OS is Perception.
neato

Post by neato »

Most of these are self-induced. Makes me wanna break my OS on purpose just so I can post a picture of it broken too.
pcmattman
Libera.chat IRC: miselin

Post by pcmattman »

This happens whenever the QEMU window is resized on Pedigree. It also occurs very rarely on some real hardware.
neato

Post by neato »

Quick guess:

Username: foster
Passwrd: foster

??? =) and what is all that red-ish spots? Camera Light?
pcmattman
Libera.chat IRC: miselin

Post by pcmattman »

and what is all that red-ish spots? Camera Light?
Fire effect in Compiz. I should note that this screenshot was provided by someone else in a bug report - it's just one of the most recent examples of Pedigree at its worst :)