Suggestion on the recent spam issue

Questions, comments, and suggestions about this site should go here.
iansjack

Re: Suggestion on the recent spam issue

Post by iansjack »

Good news. Hopefully that will hit the spam on the head without being too onerous on the moderators.
iansjack

Post by iansjack »

I'm puzzled as to how spam is still getting through now that new posters are pre-moderated. Have they somehow found a way to bypass the restriction? (No details of how they are doing it, pleas.)
klange
Libera.chat IRC: klange
Discord: klange

Post by klange »

iansjack wrote:I'm puzzled as to how spam is still getting through now that new posters are pre-moderated. Have they somehow found a way to bypass the restriction? (No details of how they are doing it, pleas.)
They're using older accounts that bypass the moderation queue.
iansjack

Post by iansjack »

Is it possible to add all accounts with a zero post count to those that are pre-moderated? If not, I guess they'll soon run out of such accounts.
StudlyCaps

Post by StudlyCaps »

Just to alert the mods and chase, it seems a number of spam threads have started appearing again.
Rhodez

Post by Rhodez »

Hey guys

I would like to start using the forum and also understand the necessary conditions regards new users.
By writing this post I'm still waiting to get my first post approved, I registered the 30. of June.

Is there a fix amount of days to wait or should one just wait until a moderator (some day) approves the post?

I cannot recall to see any more information then I would get notices when something happens with the post.
What I'm trying to address here, is that it is many days to wait to people with interest without knowing what to expect.
Maybe procedure or information could be improved.

Cheers :)
Octocontrabass

Post by Octocontrabass »

A moderator with the "approve post" permission has to manually approve the post.

(You may have guessed already that I currently do not have that permission.)
Rhodez

Post by Rhodez »

I did expect it to manually, but I did also guess that any moderator could do it, hehe.

A related question,
So my original first post is not approved yet, if it still exist. Is it true that a user cannot see ones own "pending-posts"? I guess this is more a phpBB question.
And is it still open for approval, or is it only the latest post for a new user which "exists", so I just have to write it again?
PeterX

Post by PeterX »

Rhodez wrote:I did expect it to manually, but I did also guess that any moderator could do it, hehe.

A related question,
So my original first post is not approved yet, if it still exist. Is it true that a user cannot see ones own "pending-posts"? I guess this is more a phpBB question.
And is it still open for approval, or is it only the latest post for a new user which "exists", so I just have to write it again?
I don't know this forum's details. But generally speaking you shouldn't post it again before you got a message from an admin.
klange

Post by klange »

Rhodez wrote:I did expect it to manually, but I did also guess that any moderator could do it, hehe.

A related question,
Until at least one is approved, all posts you make will go through the moderation queue, and each post that ends up there needs to be separately approved.
nexos
Libera.chat IRC: nexos

Post by nexos »

Looks like the spam really started heating up yesterday. A spammer responded to a thread from 2002 #-o . Plus, there are so many new accounts created. How come the spam accounts aren't deleted?
"How did you do this?"
"It's very simple — you read the protocol and write the code." - Bill Joy
Projects: NexNix | libnex | nnpkg
klange

Post by klange »

nexos wrote:Looks like the spam really started heating up yesterday. A spammer responded to a thread from 2002 #-o . Plus, there are so many new accounts created. How come the spam accounts aren't deleted?
All new accounts must have a post accepted by the moderation queue before they can post without going through it, and we ban anything that post spam or suspicious content in the moderation queue. If you believe there is a problematic account or post, please be sure to report it. We can not delete accounts, but we do make efforts to ban any lingering spambots from before the moderation queue was enabled.
nexos

Post by nexos »

Ok have you noticed that bot called Majestic-12 that comes online? Is that the spambot? Also, aren't these spam accounts taking up a lot of space on Chase's server?
"How did you do this?"
klange

Post by klange »

Majestic-12 is a web crawler. There is no such user by that name. The “bots” you see listed in the online members list are all web crawlers detected by their user agents and not actual members.

As for banned accounts from spambots, they take up a negligible amount of space and we remove their posts. We can’t do anything more than that.

I can not find the post you were referring to previously.
nexos

Post by nexos »

@klange, why are there so many spam threads? How come they haven't been deleted?
"How did you do this?"