OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: e-government and operating systems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:06 am 
Absence of unified government-citizen interfaces. Unified government interface eGovernment introduces the best solution: -Unified government-citizen interaction. -Automated interaction. - Regular permanent 24/7 services running.

Post subject: Re:e-government and operating systems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:55 am 

I don't know whether to laugh, be mystified or intrigued, or to delete it.

Have been removing a lot of spam lately, one every few weeks... compared to none over a few years, that's a lot.

Could be some spammer checking whether his IP is blocked or whether his script still works? Got the last spam message removed in 5 minutes, so it could be something like that...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:17 pm 
What is really odd is they have a sourceforge project with a compressed floppy image. I don't think I actually want to try booting the image but it's still weird....

I've been seeing spam from actual people on other sites. They go through the email verification process and capchas and everything. Some even try to make valid replies as much as possibly without knowing the subject matter. The give away is usually the homepage in the profile points to a spam/adult site. Sometimes they even wait a day before spam'ify their profile but this guys profile points to a sf project....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:19 pm 
In fact, this is not spam. If you examine the guy's Windows Live profile, you'll find that he's from Egypt--he's not good enough at English to convey his message, it seems.

The message he posted is simply the description of a project started on sourceforge.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/egovsh): "eGovernment Operating System". Surprisingly, there are 37 developers enrolled in that project. At a glance, they're all Egyptians too.

So I guess this was an "announcement" post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:37 pm 
Hmmm.... even with people who don't speak english as a first language, I expect them to write a bit more than that, if only because if there's more text then it has a chance of providing more hints about missed meanings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:58 am 

Chase@OSDev wrote:
What is really odd is they have a sourceforge project with a compressed floppy image. I don't think I actually want to try booting the image but it's still weird....

The image really is a basic operating system. I just ran it on bochs and the kernel printed a hello-world message followed by some timer prompts that appear every second.

I'm not sure if they just added it right now, but there are also some sources available (download)..

mhaggag wrote:
If you examine the guy's Windows Live profile, you'll find that he's from Egypt--he's not good enough at English to convey his message, it seems.

At least some of them can speak english just fine - just have a look at their sf forum. Probably they just wanted to get some attention for their project. Maybe some admin could move this thread to the test forum ?

regards,
gaf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:45 am 

gaf wrote:
The image really is a basic operating system. I just ran it on bochs and the kernel printed a hello-world message followed by some timer prompts that appear every second.

I'm not sure if they just added it right now, but there are also some sources available (download)..

mhaggag wrote:
If you examine the guy's Windows Live profile, you'll find that he's from Egypt--he's not good enough at English to convey his message, it seems.

At least some of them can speak english just fine - just have a look at their sf forum. Probably they just wanted to get some attention for their project. Maybe some admin could move this thread to the test forum ?

I'm not an admin, but I moved it anyway. I'm going for the "mystified & intrigued" option.

37 people working on a project?! Egad...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:49 am 
hi
i read your posting , yes it is good that some of us really talk your language , ([email protected])

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:16 am 

<edit> had to do cleanups here ... how to prevent board spamming or whether "and" is exclusive is rather off-topic. </edit>

That just confirms if the guy _really_ want to get attention, he should put more care in the way he present his work, imho. I cannot make sense of any of his posts...