OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: FreeVista project
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:27 am 

FreeVista organisation officially launches FreeVistaOS development project on 6 August 2007. This project is a supportive project to show microsoft that there are a group of people who disagree with Windows Vista.Besides, we will provide the competitive operating system to all personal computer users. Official website will be launched later. Although, this OS is totally free, it will still provide many great features that will make it as good as Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate probably better. Actually the main point is we need support from all of you. This project supported by BadVista.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:04 am 

Quote:
FreeVista organisation officially launches FreeVistaOS development project on 6 August 2007

Does that mean you've only had one month's development time?

Quote:
to show microsoft that there are a group of people who disagree with Windows Vista

What exactly do you 'disagree with' about windows vista? It's just an operating system, and a damn good one at that.

Quote:
.Besides, we will provide the competitive operating system to all personal computer users.

I'm sure you will. :roll:

Quote:
Although, this OS is totally free, it will still provide many great features that will make it as good as Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate probably better.

You would make a good manager. What 'features' would these be, then?

Quote:
Actually the main point is we need support from all of you.

Why, exactly? and, more to the point, why would I want to support you?
Who are you? how many of there are you? how much experience do you have? why do you think that you can come up with a better OS than a sackfull of bright engineers at M$ did? I could troll on this for ages, by the way.

Quote:
This project supported by BadVista.org

That site is just like your post, but in html form. No use, doesn't explain anything.

Oh, and this post belongs in test requests.

(yay! I got the first reply!!!)

JamesM :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:16 am 

I'm not fan of Microsoft products, I voice this opinion daily.. but your post sounds like that of an amateur.

There are hundreds of projects (That simply fail after a few months..) with goals to replace Microsoft in the end user market.. but unfortunately it won't be happening over night.

Useful alternatives "are" available for those who seek them out, namely Unix-like systems.. Linux being common amongst the novice.

If you check around.. you will see that posts like yours happen quite often here, attracting developers is a lot harder then you might think.. as most members have their own individual projects to work on.

Perhaps you should check out the ReactOS project... It's more up your ally I think.. (Google it..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:27 am 

Well sorry to be over critical but you are crazy. Unless you have about 4 million of the best programmers in the world it would take you years to even reproduce windows xp. Just take a look at the ReactOS project. How long has that been going on now? They only have a basic working implementation of something I can only describe as windows 95 or 98 or maybe NT.

You really might be able to do something really cool but set your sights a little lower. Like Windows 98 or 3.11.

Post subject: Just kidding
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:16 am 

why we can't having fun here. I just want to see what you will think about this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:20 am 

I am being deathly serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:52 am 

Realistically speaking even if you suceeded in making an exact clone, if you can get it preinstalled on mass manufactured pc's and sold everywhere from here to timbuctoo your just going to be a hobbiest like the rest of us.

People don't care about the os, they just buy a computer and use whats on it.
If they go to the store they buy software without reading a compatibility list and expect it to work no matter what.

I don't have real numbers, but I estimate that 80% of the worlds population don't know what an operating system is (they also think bill gates invented the computer) and 50% can't even survive a user friendly os installation wizard.

Those who do try your os will be quickly turned away due to the lack of hardware drivers and software thats available for use. You wont be able to get the hardware companies to make drivers unless you already have a large market share (same with software publishers).

But now that all of that has been said, you may actually write an os that works and is very good. But unless you have millions to spend in marketing the only people who will use it will be some of us, you, and your friends.

If you take notice to most "other other" os's they market themselves to businesses who can benefit from the decreased cost of ownership and write their own software to run on it. (think warehouse management, restaurant touchscreen pos (like at mcdonalds), etc.
you should probably try out local businesses especially those that will work with you and provide feedback.

A good operating system in my opinion is one you don't notice, its the software that does the work. If you have to search for drivers because "windows says so" or "windows says you need to sign up for .net" or "windows says download these large updates fool (mr t voice)" then your user will have a declining opinion about your operating system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:56 am 

Well I'm sorry but Microsoft created his operating systems 30 years and today they come up with Vista (I dont like that OS, I find WXP SP2 much better!!!), do you have free 15-25 years of work and a big community of skilled ASM and C/C++/Pascal/whatever - developers ? No, OS deving is not HTML, PHP, VBS scripting etc. ;)

inflater

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:40 pm 

I think it's possible to do a FreeVista OS. Just llok at all theses emulators. They all emulates old consoles, computers, etc.
Full teams of engineers worked to create the Genesis, the Nintendo entertainment system, etc, and 2, 3 persons can make an emulator. Oh, you can say It's easier since the architecture is conceived, but...
8)
Windows Vista seems like something Microsoft didn't know what to do with it. It's not like Windows 95, for example, or Windows XP. They didn't think enough in making it, and I think in the future, in a couple of years when we will be more intelligent, making a Windows Vista clone will be quite easy, if doing something like that will be wanted.
But I think Vista is on the domain of the technological leadership the same as Windows ME on the technology period.
It may be pretty, the search thing is good, but it gives the impression, to me, someone who didn't even tried the OS, that Microsoft wanted to do an OS, but didn't know what they were doing en route.

So I have a question for you, are you trying to emulate Microsoft completely on this one? :wink:
Personnaly, what I would do, is a Window Manager for the X Window System or what it's called, reproducing the Windows Vista theme, even if it's "not legal".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 pm 

The name "FreeVista" tells me something about the seriousness about this project. First of all why make a vista clone? It doesnt make sence, vista sucks, allthough there may be discussions on how much it sucks, i think that a great deal of the people, not my self included, who actually knows something about the workings of an OS, can agree on that. Secondly, No one in their right mind would call such a clone "FreeVista". Lawsuits probably would be the first problem, but allso consider who would use this os. I would think people who dont like vista and are somewhat enoyed about the fact that there is alot of software and stuff that you cant use endless youre using vista, and they certainly wouldnt be looking for a clone and the name "FreeVista" wouldnt be very good commercial.

I think if a clone of a microsoft OS should be made it should either be based on xp or 2003 server and then it would be a good thing to focus on implementing some of the "needed" features from vista, like directx 10 or what do i know. Allso real 64bit support would be a very nice thing.

You can all say what you want, but this would not be an easy task...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:54 am 

Zacariaz wrote:
First of all why make a vista clone?

Good point! If he hates Vista so much, why is he cloning it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 am 

One of ReactOS' goals is Vista compatibility once they finish a majority of their NT/2000 core...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:03 am 

niteice wrote:
One of ReactOS' goals is Vista compatibility once they finish a majority of their NT/2000 core...

Awesome, by the time that is done they should only be three or four versions behind Windows :-P

Post subject: YAY, a totally origional amazing innovative ... clone . . .
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:42 am 

gah,
why would you want to CLONE another OS?

isnt the point of OS development to create either a new innovative idea or to create cross (commercial) OS application support.

yet here, all you would be doing is to re-create the wheel in essense. Why would I want to use "freeVista" when I can use "Windows Vista" and be guarenteed it to have full customer support and with the knowledge that the programmers working on M$'s stuff are some of the top in the world. I'm not going to say weather I believe vista is good or not (as it is irrellevent) but I will say that, why re-create something and call it free or open source or whatever, when you could just use that development time to think of something NEW and ORIGIONAL that can benefit others.

And i agree, by the time you create even a win2000 'copy', WindowsXXX will have been released and you will once again, have to up the par and complain about that one and it's inferiority (ha).

and the title 'FreeVista' is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:11 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
I for one don't bother to buy Vista because of its 200 buck price tag. (Even more so because of the bad rumours about it)