OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: BlueIllusionOS 0.08
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:39 am 

Ah, it's still 0.08, as you see. The version numbers aren't expected to jump around like little ihaha's. ;-)

Yes, I'm still alive and hanging around on this board - and my study has approached half time. 4 semesters to go, but then ... ah, freedom.

I have ported and cleaned mpg2player (that gpl version from 1996) so far that it is capable of playing movies in BlueIllusionOS. En course of this I have found out, that my scheduler is crappy - well, one application looping around on the round robin queue causes everything else to suffer from cpu starvation which isn't what I've intended - so I have to go back to the design board again and rework the scheduling stuff.

The movie-playing is a little bit buggy. currently it only works with one movie as I have hardcoded some parameters for that movie - to get the damned thing working. I need to rewrite the complete application to render it to a nicer, more readable thing instead of this hacked-together sample which of course shows how to do it. Playback isn't perfect either: there are decoding artefacts in the picture - but it's a question of time to get rid of them.

The more, some gui elements are cleaned out and repaired so they work properly and ... I've found out, that I need to reread about eflags and sorta a bit more ... a certain combo of eflags absolutely refuses to work with INTEL Pentium while being perfectly suited for AMD cpu's of any flavour - and I'm yet to find the correct combo of eflags to get the stuff working on any Pentium, Xeon, Celeron -- which all prefer some little difference - ah, we're a different cpu so gimme different eflags!

As usual - The image you can fetch by clicking the link in my signature is know to work in VMWARE.

I'Ve also tested it on AMD Athlon with 256 mb ram and a 32 bit vesa capable graphics adapter - where it works too.

In qemu it might work. it might also die. slowly. in a cruel way.

There are for sure cdrom drives my ATA-Driver can't handle and graphics adapters which don't sport 32 bit framebuffers - and cpu's which don't like a certain eflag-combo.

Not to mention the usual bugs I've not yed sqashed due to lack of time. Have I already said, that I've collected 8 B's (ects) this semester?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:19 am 

Your OS doesn't work for me....I tried it in VMWARE and the mouse is screwy. It goes until where I'm supposed to select a user or something, but I can't do that because the cursor wont go over there. I move my mouse a little and the cursor jumps all over the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:48 pm 

Thank you for giving it a look. :-)

I'Ve just tested the image - on the first run, it crashed (to be more exact: the login-program failed to load anything and died) - then I 've restarted the whole thing and it worked. Hm. I should give memory cleaning out more attention.

things you can try:

restarting vmware & the whole shebang helps, if something doesn't work out as it should.

memory - I'm used to giving the VM 256 MB of ram - that should be plenty.

stay safe :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:16 pm 

Nope, it sill doesn't work. The mouse stays on the edges of the screen and jumps really fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:38 am 

Hi,
in QEMU yer OS switches to 1024x768 mode,fills the whole screen red and tries to display some message box but its only a black square with random-color pixels in it...
(Not on the PC right now)

inflater

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:39 am 

I have uploaded a fresh iso-image to try out.

SOme things aren't fixed yet, but I've included a feature to reset the mouse:

If the pointer is jumpy and ain't work as expected, press F8. This should teach it manners. If this ain't work, I 'm gonna have to think a bit more to solve this problem.

The thing with qemu is: it tries to operate in 16bpp (sorta fall back). I've had this working, but since the gread overhaul of the gui subsystem, this special feature ain't work properly, as you see. I know where the bug is. I have to find out how to solve it - and as long as the more interesting problem of a buggy scheduler is due, I lack the hankering for that. *gg*

If you press F6 in gui-mode, the os switches back to text mode (and again F6 reenables gui mode). In text mode, by pressing F11, the list of tasks is printed on the screen.

F5 halts the whole thing.

stay safe.

[edit]
I have fixed the bug in 16 bpp mode partially - translucency still doesn't work in that mode, but it doesn't bring the system down either - so no stress.

I have uploaded a fresh iso image. It should now work for bochs(slow!!) & qemu. I remember that the vbe bios for bochs & qemu supports 16bpp in 1024*768 mode.

Mark: I haven't tested this on qemu yet. Need to check it out.
[/edit]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:16 pm 

In VMware the new image doesn't display a login prompt and the mouse is still jumpy and the cursor is confined to the edges of the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:45 am 

thanks for giving it a try.

I have just downloaded the image from my own site and started it. It has booted up and worked as I am expecting it to.

Maybe we should exchange the respective testing environment:

Mine is

a: VMware Server 1.0.2 on SUSE Linux 10.2 on dual XEON with 1 gb of main memory.
The virtual machine has: 256 mb of main memory, a hard disk, a cdrom drive (on IDE 1:0),
a bridged ethernet adapter and the usual mouse and keyboard input devices. No Floppy.

b: A real computer with amd athlon cpu, 128 mb memory, 16 mb video adapter, ps2 mouse & keyboard, rtl8029 ethernet adapter, cdrom and harddrive. NOthing fancy.

On these two, it boots up and works properly.

What 's your testing environment like? Maybe I need to take something different/additional into consideration?

Thank you :-)

stay safe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:52 am 

hey,

I also tested your OS and I have to say: Respect :-)
Computer: Kubuntu, Core2Duo E6600, 2GB main memory & 256MB RAM for vmware
At first I tested under VMWare Server 1.0.2 with a HDD at IDE0:0 and CDROM at IDE1:0:
* The last line was for approx 20secs "vm86 task loaded..."
* after that the login prompt showed up for a few milliseconds and after that I got a gray screen and a mouse cursor (movable)
Than I tested without the HD (everything else is the same as above):
* The bootup was way faster and I could login
* The cursor and the clock (in the login screen) are quite... ehm... uh... damn english... "flackern" (german) and not very responsive
bugs I found so far:
* gtop: does not show the labels "USR", etc... until I move the window
* Klick on WINS and after that on START does not close the WINDS window. The other way round it works.
edit: starting graphapp hang the system.

btw. I am missing the sourcecode releases :cry:
And how did you get your GUI so fast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:20 am 

@bluecode: thank you for testing! great! I'm about to upload a fresh image ... Gonna fix that thing with graphapp now. *grml*. always something weird shows up, if you're screwing with the thing. *gg*

regarding the gui (If I understand your question correctly): for this you should know that I've developed the thing from the beginning on - there's been some tutorial online from a guy called brendan, after which I've developed the first version (may-august2003), but now, it is far away from that -, as soon as I've got the kernel up and running with user processes. File System and GUI-Service & GUI LIbrary grew alongside together - the gui is the best means to stress test the kernel in my opinion.

some of the Algorithms (Bresenhams LIne drawing stuff, bmp drawing, translucency) I've learned from other os's & libraries - mark: learned, not copy&paste, for this ain't work for me.

You may find a recent release of my source code on my site ;-).

[edit]
fresh iso image is online.
graphapp should work properly.

turns out that I've forgotten to include the sample file. FIle not found should raise a file not found error, not a paging exception in the gui service because the apolication tries to do weird stuff with nothing... well,just one of the "kinks" yet to fix in the time to come. That comes if an os developer is attending a university of applied science. *gg*
[/edit]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:03 am 

By the by, you're on osnews. 8)

C8H10N4O2 | #446691 | Trust the nodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:56 am 

Yeah, I must be masochistic.

It's always the same over there. There's always someone jumping to his feet in order to turn something down. *rofl*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:50 am 

my VMware machine is:
4GB hdd, 256MB ram, floppy, cd drive, 1 processor, 64bit...

I am on vacation and on a laptop and I don't know the specifics.

Post subject: Mouse problem...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:24 pm 

Problems running the system here. It boots ok, show the login screen (very fast, by the way) but the mouse just go crazy and stuck ate upper left corner.

Virtual Enviroiment
VMWare Workstation
Version 6.0.0
256MB RAM
HDD (IDE 0:0) 8.0GB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:11 pm 

Thats exactly my symptoms too...