OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help with a "how to make a game" tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:19 am 
Okay, I want to put together a tutorial on how to make a game. I think the Adventure Game community is a little plagued by those who start things and never finish them. Since I have not finished a game yet, obviously I am not the master at this art. The intention of the tutorial is to get people to map out a plan before diving in and getting discouraged once they see just how much WORK is really involved. Personally, I want to make the tutorial as a guideline for myself too. Sooo, I hope you guys will help out and post your ideas here.

Here is my rough idea of what the plan could look like:

1. Plot -- Develop your story first, write everything out, include puzzles, characters, and locations.

2. Drawing -- This section comes in several steps and will probably be the longest and most difficult step next to actually putting the game together. Below is a suggested drawing order:

a. Main Character/EGO
b. Actors (other characters)
c. Backgrounds
d. Objects (things the EGO interacts with, picks up, bumps into, etc.)
e. Special Scenes (cut scenes, intro, ending, movies, etc.)

3. Putting it all together -- Work through one room at a time, don't jump around. Build the game the way that the player will experience it.

4. Be sure to put together a schedule for when these events should occur. Be realistic and honest with yourself. Try to base this on how long it takes you to do similar projects.

-- Alright...that's all I can think of for now. I noticed that there were links to other sites on the AGI forum. If anyone knows these really well and would like to transplant info that would be great. I want to make a all-in-one reference...not something spread out everywhere that you have to dig for.

Thanks!
-junc

Post subject: Re:Help with a "how to make a game" tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:22 pm 
Quote:
1. Plot -- Develop your story first, write everything out, include puzzles, characters, and locations.

I seperate this in four parts:
  • The story
  • The ego's goal. What does he have to do to finish the game. (Catch the murderer, become a pirate, find the treasures)
  • What happened before.
  • The solution, like you can find them on the net.
Quote:
2. Drawing -- This section comes in several steps and will probably be the longest and most difficult step next to actually putting the game together. Below is a suggested drawing order:

a. Main Character/EGO
c. Backgrounds

It's hard to do it like that. I make a background, I draw the objects, place them on the background, if they don't fit, I sometimes change the background... New ego-views (swimming, jumping, climbing, doing stuff)...

Quote:
3. Putting it all together -- Work through one room at a time, don't jump around. Build the game the way that the player will experience it.

One room at the time? Well, I just can't... Don't like it either... But it may be a good idea.

Quote:
4. Be sure to put together a schedule for when these events should occur. Be realistic and honest with yourself. Try to base this on how long it takes you to do similar projects.

5. Make a list of inventory items:
  • Item names
  • Where to find it: room no
  • Actions / score: get 'item' = 2 points, use item to do this = so many points

6. Make a list of flags, variables
Flags: global / local (for each room, these flags do this or that)
Variables: Same thing

7. Draw a map: all rooms and how they interact (or how should I say this)

- Jelle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:30 pm 
its cool your making a tutorial, but im making one as well. ::) it is basically the same thing your doing. or at least thats kinda what i intended.

if you want to make it though, feel free too, just saying we dont need 500 tutorials. we may be giving out information differently in each one. if a new user reads a few of them and sees this different info, they may get confused. just a thought.

(i know, people already made some. i havent really seen one based on MAKING the game. it is on different things. like adding in objects, drawing pics, blah blah blah. mine was going to get you started on a game. everything you need to know to make a small game.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:04 pm 
juncmodule wrote:

I write small, complete parts of the story, look for the main goal in that one, compare it with the main goal of the game and look for a way to make it difficult (adding the puzzles)
Quote:

a. Main Character/EGO
c. Backgrounds

I make a map first (that's combined with the story) Then I draw the rooms needed for that part of the game I'm making. Then I draw ego, the views ego needs to have, then other views (like doors, animations, etc), then actors.
Quote:

Actually, I first link all the rooms together. Then I program the special animations (like climbing, etc) After that, I start programming the story. When that's done, I start on descriptions (look, said, etc when it's not important) Then I remember to add points and put them in too.
Quote:

I've got a directory with only one file: flags.txt. it explains which flag's used for what. It's usefull for the big flags (the ones that set things in the story) You don't have to use that for doors, etc. Also, try to use f.e. f200-255 for doors and f100-200 as big flags. It's easier to manage them that way.

-Kon-Tiki-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:36 pm 
This tutorial will be a little bit more general than the one you are making Joey. You are making a AGI tutorial right? I was thinking of something that maybe could be a sticky topic at the top of both the AGI and SCI boards, and any other boards that discuss making adventure games. So far everyone is doing great (don't worry about flags, variables, and whatnot). I'm just looking for how the game plan is set up. A working schedule.

for example:

10/17 -- draw backgrounds
10/18 -- draw objects
10/19 -- combine backgrounds and objects
10/20 -- rework backgrounds
etc...

Something like this but, not so specific. I want to leave the actual planning up to the creator. Just provide them with a list of what needs to happen before they even open up AGI Studio, SCI Studio, or whatever.

What do the moderators think of this idea?

Keep the ideas comin'!

thanks,
-junc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:18 am 
I've tried going room to room, but my game has been fairly stream of consciousness. I look at Naturette, and you can tell that the pics and logics have been set up like an array, so pic 2 is one right of pic 1. That's certainly efficient and effective.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:39 am 
I tried the sticky topic idea with the links section but eventually it was too tricky to organise so I just posted a link to the links page on my site. :)

I fear it may be the same for you. You might decide to split a section into two later on if it gets too big (there is a limit on the size of messages I believe) and then it will be out of order when you post the 2nd section.

- Nick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:52 am 
Hmmm...well, then maybe I will set this up as a full blown tutorial on my website, instead of just the post on my board. So far it is still sort of small...so, I will wait and see how well people respond. That's another thing though, if not enough people show interest I don't really see any reason to post outside of a message board at all. So far, so good though.

-junc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:09 pm 
While I'm probably not going to be able to do it, I was going to make a tutorial called "How to Make Voodoo Girl", that was going to describe the process of making that game. Instead, I'm now just going to work on tutorials for all of the special things I did, like the dancing game, the RPG combat, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:49 pm 
I think we can all figure out a game...unless we are a moron!

SMG240aoerilwfhasdfhjka,sdngbkahg

GET THAT CAT OFF THE KEYBOARD!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:38 pm 
Actually, I think a lot of people come into making a game rather blind. They get into the middle of it, realize how much work is involved and then leave. I think this tutorial is a little more geared toward those who are taking it seriously, not those who are just making a game for fun. My point is to give someone something to build a framework for a time management plan. Mostly I am doing this for myself. I thought that others would benefit but, I don't think many people are all that interested. ::)

-junc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:24 pm 
juncmodule wrote:
I think this tutorial is a little more geared toward those who are taking it seriously, not those who are just making a game for fun.

Hmm, thought everyone here made their games for fun. ::)

-Kon-Tiki-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:31 pm 
oh sorry junc, i guess i wasnt looking at it from your POV...i think we could all benifit from it!

SMG240

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:31 am 
Quote:
My point is to give someone something to build a framework for a time management plan.

Well, before I started of with my first game (still haven't finished it though), I made a Word-template with some titles in it (the ones I posted before). When I start working on a new game, I just think about the story and the how's and when's and stuff for a few days BEFORE I really work something out. It's just like creating a comic book. Write the story, make some not-detailed pictures on a piece of paper. Brainstorm. Ask people things about your story.
And after that, turn on your computer :)

I've noticed that my fantasies are way beyond reality (in many ways 8) ). I mean, I have a lot of ideas "yeah, it will be like this, and than that happens,...", but than when I want to work it out, it's like "sh*it, I can't possibly draw/program that" :(

Anyway:
Quote:
I don't think many people are all that interested

I'm interested.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:03 am 
Quote:
I'm interested.

Okay, well...that's good to hear.

I did a little looking around for a tutorial (perhaps "tutorial" is not the right word) that is similar to what I'm working on. I don't think one exists. Several people recommend working with a time management plan but, no one seems to have made one. I imagine that most people think that each person will approach making a game in a different way. I agree with this, but, I know I have personally forgotten a lot of details along the way. Unfortunately, I haven't come up with any new and revolutionary ideas though. Jelle and Kon-Tiki, thanks for your input, I will definitely use it in my final "adventure game developers time management system". I will post my final results here. I'm going to let this topic sit for a while. Hopefully more people will contribute. Anyone else have any ideas?

thanks,
-junc