Pintos: QEMU crashing while booting -- NOT homework help

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
ravik

Pintos: QEMU crashing while booting -- NOT homework help

Post by ravik »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use https://web.stanford.edu/class/cs140/pr ... tos_1.html

I am not able to even start the system. The documentation says we can issue "pintos run alarm-multiple" but it crashes while trying to access a global variable "init_ram_pages"
I am not sure what is wrong with my environment that might be causing this,

I am using QEMU, on my EC2 running the following linux

Linux ip-172-31-23-62 6.2.0-1017-aws #17~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 17 21:07:13 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any idea, what might be wrong with my setup or environment?

Thanks
Ravi
Octocontrabass

Re: Pintos: QEMU crashing while booting -- NOT homework help

Post by Octocontrabass »

I notice those makefiles attempt to use a compiler that targets Linux on x86 machines. Have you tried building it with a proper cross-compiler that targets bare metal?

Can you get any more information about what happens when it crashes? Running QEMU with "-no-reboot" and "-d int" will give you a log that's usually helpful for debugging this kind of problem. If the log doesn't appear, you might also need an option like "-accel tcg" to turn off hardware acceleration. (The log might be very large, but the useful information is usually in the last 50 lines or so.)