OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:18 pm 

My work in the past months included working on modesetting my Kaby Lake laptop's integrated Intel graphics. The result is that I can modeset eDP and HDMI on managarm now, as well as DisplayPort on Gemini Lake (shoutout to electrode for this part). Performance is reasonable, considering that we use mesa's software rendering (using llvmpipe). This hasn't been upstreamed yet, as I would like some code cleanup and testing to be done first, but I would like it to be soon(tm).

On the lower laptop screen (eDP), you can see weston running its weston-terminal. After the obligatory uname, gtk-demos is run. Some demo windows can be seen on the upper screen (attached via HDMI to the laptop).

Future plans involve adding more features (hotplug, USB-C output, maybe 3D acceleration?), getting Broadwell/Haswell supported, then Sandy Bridge, then Alder Lake and more recent iGPUs. All these efforts will be upstreamed to the lil library, which can be integrated into different Operating Systems in the same style as lai (an ACPI AML interpreter that's portable across OSes, too), that is by having a few host functions for things like PCI access and memory management.

high-resolution picture for those interested

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:17 am 

Pretty bare bones right now since i started learning osdev like 1 - 2 weeks ago! :D
Currently working on a window manager

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:18 am 

Since, June 15 I rewrote the entire system from scratch focusing on its performance.. And this is how it's going. It runs a compositing window manager called "Deodhai". Currently working on Terminal emulation part of system.

https://github.com/manaskamal/XenevaOS

Thank you,
Manas Kamal Choudhury

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:52 am 

Well, I've been back to the OSDev scene after two years of doing all sorts of other stuff... Resumed work on my little Unix-like kernel thing, and now I've got userland more or less working ;)

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 30.46 KiB | Viewed 8429 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:25 am 

i've got userland working as well, now i need to debug my definitely-not-copy-and-pasted kernel alloc that had been printing errors in order to eliminate any problems in the future and actually bother to make an init program, port a libc and port almquist shell plus coreutils in order to make it useful

Attachments:
screen02.png
screen02.png [ 17.03 KiB | Viewed 8329 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:06 am 

clementttttttttt wrote:
i've got userland working as well, now i need to debug my definitely-not-copy-and-pasted kernel alloc that had been printing errors in order to eliminate any problems in the future and actually bother to make an init program, port a libc and port almquist shell plus coreutils in order to make it useful

Just out of curiosity, what DE/WM (or whatever it's called on Linux, I forgot the term since it's quite some time since I last messed with them) are you using over there? Because that's giving me the late 90s vibe, lol.

SysX: https://github.com/itsmevjnk/sysx.git

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:02 am 

After some kernel bug fixes and graphics update on Chitralekha Graphics library and widgets, Compositor.. etc.

GitHub : https://github.com/manaskamal/XenevaOS

Manas Kamal Choudhury,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:49 pm 

Mine currently looks like dis:
(Defo has an old look to it, but I like it)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:29 am 

I mainly made text UIs and some simple VGA 320x200 ones before, but I'm trying to mess around with VGA 640x480 now and it's really fun. You can already create windows, move them around and such. I have made a PC NET III driver before, so sending over images would be a cool thing to implement.

Attachments:
gui-min.png
gui-min.png [ 57.31 KiB | Viewed 5560 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:55 am 

itsmevjnk wrote:
clementttttttttt wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what DE/WM (or whatever it's called on Linux, I forgot the term since it's quite some time since I last messed with them) are you using over there? Because that's giving me the late 90s vibe, lol.

xfwm with my own 90s dark theme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:09 pm 

Been working alot on my hobby operating system lately, finally feel like it doenst look horrible :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:38 pm 

@joexbayer I love your graphical style. Great job!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:44 am 

joexbayer wrote:
Been working alot on my hobby operating system lately, finally feel like it doenst look horrible :D

Looking good! May I suggest you add clipping to your graphics framework? I see the directory tree "leaking" out of the box.

NanoShell --- A 32-bit operating system whose GUI takes inspiration from Windows 9x and early UNIX desktop managers.
Boron --- A portable SMP operating system taking inspiration from the design of the Windows NT kernel.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:56 am 

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on this forum, but I have been working on my OS for more than a year now. Today, I finally managed to make GCC work on my OS (after four months of it segfaulting every time I tried to run it).

Turns out the culprit was a bug in my memmove implementation, of all things:
Code:
    void* memmove(void* dest, const void* src, usize n)
    {
        if (dest == src) return dest;
        if (dest > src)
            for (long i = (long)n - 1; i >= 0; i++) { *((u8*)dest + i) = *((const u8*)src + i); }
        else
            for (long i = 0; i < (long)n; i++) { *((u8*)dest + i) = *((const u8*)src + i); }
        return dest;
    }

The first i++ should have been i--. I have no idea how I managed to have a functioning OS for so long with that bug there, I fixed it after a GUI text editor I was working on started behaving a bit weirdly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:38 am 

iProgramInCpp wrote:
joexbayer wrote:

Looking good! May I suggest you add clipping to your graphics framework? I see the directory tree "leaking" out of the box.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I have been working on clipping. Currently the UI management is quite the mess, so it has been low on my priority sadly :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260  Next