OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:18 pm 

Lukand wrote:
To me it looks very nice and cool but I repeatedly tell you that you shall pay little more attention and work on filesystems, process managament, memory management (I mean, improve it), executable file formats, etc.
Afterthat you could have even meatier skeleton where you could freely continue working on GUI which works with files, programs, in multitasking and user-mode envriroment, etc.

Thank you! I share your opinion. At the moment Basic OS is not that stable. It is just a bunch of connected files with no specific order. I plan on redoing it once again, this time with a proper custom structure. (Kernel - Libs - Devices - That Stuff). Third revision could happen anytime starting from today. I am really excited about Basic OS Revision 3.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:33 pm 

octacone wrote:
Third revision could happen anytime starting from today. I am really excited about Basic OS Revision 3.

Meanwhile, I'm leaving to my first day of high school in an hour or so, and won't have much time for my OS these coming months. I'll be sure to watch this forum silently to get inspired and motivated by other people's work.
My plans after school include loading programs from disk, developing a basic graphical toolkit (at least labels and buttons, for now) and rewriting my ACPI implementation from scratch now that I have a better understanding of AML.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:13 am 

omarrx024 wrote:
octacone wrote:
Third revision could happen anytime starting from today. I am really excited about Basic OS Revision 3.

Meanwhile, I'm leaving to my first day of high school in an hour or so, and won't have much time for my OS these coming months. I'll be sure to watch this forum silently to get inspired and motivated by other people's work.
My plans after school include loading programs from disk, developing a basic graphical toolkit (at least labels and buttons, for now) and rewriting my ACPI implementation from scratch now that I have a better understanding of AML.

Why can't you do both? :D ACPI sounds bizzare. GUI toolkit seems to be more interesting imo. Loading programs is even more fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:31 am 

Started working on Basic OS Revision 3.
Here is what I came up with:

Attachments:
BasicOS_Structure_Diagram.png
BasicOS_Structure_Diagram.png [ 30.5 KiB | Viewed 3694 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:46 am 

octacone wrote:
Why can't you do both? :D ACPI sounds bizzare. GUI toolkit seems to be more interesting imo. Loading programs is even more fun.

I don't have much time. ACPI is difficult and has flaws in design IMO, but it is a standard and having a complete ACPI driver will give me many capabilities (PCI IRQ routing with IOAPIC, display brightness, battery management, ...) It is a topic I'm interested in, anyway, and is higher in my priority list than GUI toolkit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:46 am 

octacone wrote:
Started working on Basic OS Revision 3.
Here is what I came up with:

This thread is for screenshots, not system architecture design.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:24 pm 

Too many posts in a row here without a screenshot; going to set us back on track.

I'm working on a new spec for images in terminals. Here's the prototype / proof of concept:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:19 pm 

I wonder if integrating a terminal into a webbrowser would be easier than the reverse. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:25 am 

Integrating terminals into the web has been done a lot of times. On the other hand, I have never seen a web browser inside a terminal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:51 am 

There are several browsers that can run inside a terminal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:06 am 

Terminals aren't made for putting images, web browsers, movies and music, they are made for just bit-formatted text.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:40 am 

DEC made terminals for vector graphics, bitmap graphics, and video.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:20 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:

And at least w3m even supports images.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:07 pm 

Everybody has to start here, I suppose? Intentional crash, mind you.

Actually used it as a testbed for the text drawing routines. Bold font is done using SO (for normal) and SI (for bold), it looks a bit odd but glyphs are required to have an even width (each byte contains two pixels, so by imposing this limitation I can get away with just copying bytes as-is without worrying about shifting and such). And yes, it does reboot if you press Start.

I may do UTF-8 some day but not at the moment. Decoding UTF-8 is easy, the real problem is the memory taken up by all those glyphs (not to mention having to draw them in the first place).

Not much else to show though. Wasted days trying to figure out why some graphics weren't loading, only to find out that it's because I was loading at the end of VRAM and for whatever reason the debugger wouldn't show the last few rows (read: I wasted lots of time trying to hunt down a bug that never existed in the first place) (ー_ー;)

And yes, the cursor can be moved around. The main code is actually stuck in an infinite loop, the cursor is handled in IRQ6 instead (the vblank interrupt). Will be using that IRQ for stuff that needs to be handled every so often regardless of what the running program is doing. I should add mouse support though (currently only the controller is supported), and ideally keyboard support (Saturn keyboard is the best bet here, there's an adapter from PS/2 to Saturn, and making one from Saturn to Mega Drive is trivial since the connections are exactly the same but in a different shape i.e. would be just rewiring).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:31 am 

Hi,

All of these screenshots make me want to stop any OS/language design I'm doing occasionally this period (apart from studying for final 3rd grade exams). I now want to work on the GUI!

Regards,
glauxosdever

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 260  Next